Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2012, 12:49 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Tamron 70-200mm due for an update?

In a few months, I'm planning on buying some new lenses. Due to budget issues, I'll probably go with some Tamrons. Upon researching the lenses, I realized that these lenses have been around for over 10 years now. Specifically, I'm talking about a Tamron 70-200 2.8.

I then started getting that worry that I would buy the lens and then the new model would be announced a month later. I haven't been in the game long enough to see lenses come and go, so I don't really know what the lifespan of a lens is. I do know that there is always something new around the corner, so if you wait for the next big thing, you're always going to be waiting. However, it has been over 10 years since the lens was released. Something must be around the corner, right?

I know they are good lenses and I'll be happy once having it, but I would also hate to pay so much for a lens only to miss out on getting a newer model with better features (whatever they may be).

Do lenses normally last on the market this long? Do they last 15? 20 years? It would be great if someone who has experience with this industry could explain how to handle this issue. The info doesn't have to specifically on Tamron. Sigma, or even Pentax, would be great too.

01-26-2012, 01:03 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I thought that lens came out in 2008? In any case, it's a great lens, and yes, lenses do last that long- 5-10 years is typical.

Tamron doesn't seem to be producing lenses with HSM for Pentax, so I doubt there's anything around the corner there. Sigma's the active one- they're releasing several new lenses per year as things are right now.

See here for a few of my remarks on the 70-200mm:
Fast Sports Zoom Lenses for Pentax - 70-200mm Sigma & Tamron - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-26-2012, 01:08 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I thought that lens came out in 2008? In any case, it's a great lens, and yes, lenses do last that long- 5-10 years is typical.

Tamron doesn't seem to be producing lenses with HSM for Pentax, so I doubt there's anything around the corner there. Sigma's the active one- they're releasing several new lenses per year as things are right now.

See here for a few of my remarks on the 70-200mm:
Fast Sports Zoom Lenses for Pentax - 70-200mm Sigma & Tamron - PentaxForums.com
Thanks Adam. I will definitely read the article.

Amazon states they have been selling the Tamron lens since 2001.
01-26-2012, 01:26 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Just found this article where it rumors that Tamron may release a new 70-200 in 2012. Any idea on how reliable this site is?

Upcoming Sigma and Tamron lenses in 2012 | Photo Rumors

01-26-2012, 04:10 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote
Just found this article where it rumors that Tamron may release a new 70-200 in 2012. Any idea on how reliable this site is?

Upcoming Sigma and Tamron lenses in 2012 | Photo Rumors

Tamron have been quoted as saying they are not releasing any new lenses in Pentax mount for the foreseeable future. Wouldn't hold my breath on Sigma either tbh.
01-26-2012, 08:39 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P Quote
Tamron have been quoted as saying they are not releasing any new lenses in Pentax mount for the foreseeable future. Wouldn't hold my breath on Sigma either tbh.
Wow. That's terrible. Are the Pentax version sales that bad?
01-26-2012, 12:27 PM   #7
Pentaxian

My $0.02

For what it's worth, here is my view of things.

Updates of lenses are inevetable, either due to the need for improvements, the need to reduce costs, or just to satisfy the engineers that can't seem to leave a good thing alone.

I do not own the tammy, but here is what has happened to the comperable sigma 70-200F2.8 since I bought mine in 2003.

I have the Sigma APO 70-200F2.8 EX. it was at some point i think updated to
Sigma APO 70-200F2.8 EX DG (signifying full frame, but more importantly coatings for digital)
After some time out of production for pentax, the lens was updated to Sigma APO 70-200F2.8 EX Macro. This lens was significantly re-designed somewhat cost reduced, macro / close focusing added, and maximum aperture and maximum focal length sharpness lost.
The lens has since been upgraded to Sigma APO 70-200F2.8 EX HSM Macro and subsequently Sigma APO 70-200F2.8 EX HSM Macro II

there might have been a non HSM Macro II as well, as I lost track.

With the exception of the DG version which was unchanged except for coatings that fix a problem I have never seen, none of the subsequent real updates of the lens have been as sharp as the origonal, except the last HSM II version which gets good reviews. Had I waited, just a little, I would have been caught in the void where there was no production, and ultimately forced to buy the less than stellar macro version.

The point is, updates are not always improvements. If you like a lens, and it performs as you wish/require/accept then buy it. The update may not be as good.
01-26-2012, 12:30 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote
Wow. That's terrible. Are the Pentax version sales that bad?
it is not a question of sales, but their marketing is forecasting that the lenses currently in production for pentax are the only ones they need based upon demand and market share. More obscure lenses will never come out in pentax mount because unless pentax suddenly takes over either canon's or nikons market share, there are just not enough users of those lenses to make a run worthwhile.

01-27-2012, 12:18 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I won't be able to afford the lens until May. That will give me time to see if anything happens with Tamron by then. Either way, I'm sure I will be more than happy with it. Thanks for the advice, everyone.
01-27-2012, 03:05 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Keep an eye on dxomark.com. They have mentioned that they plan to do a full tech review of the Tamron 70-200. They have recently reviewed the Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 EX DG APO Macro HSM II and the Tamron is to be done soon.