Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2012, 03:36 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Zeiss Icon Jena Olympus to k mount adapter

I have got a Zeiss Icon Jena 70-210mm lens with an Olympus mount. Is there an adapter available to convert it to Pentax k-mount?
See attached photo: Olympus left, Pentax right.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
01-26-2012, 11:36 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Check out

Olympus OM lens for Pentax cameras

--- although they don't mention third-party lenses there, beyond the comment
"I think the lenses not included in the instructions will have no problem to use our Zuiko-Pentax mount, but I cannot be sure yet."

You might just shave down the lugs on the bayonet a little (RioRico is the expert at that).
01-27-2012, 12:59 AM   #3
Veteran Member

That 'Zeiss' looks to me like a MIJ Cosina(?)|Sigma(?) goodie. If so, I have these comments: It's probably not worth the Leitax treatment. It *could* withstand the RioRico treatment (applied dremel work) but might not be really suitable. How much does it weigh? If it's over 450g / 1lb, I'd say it's risky. Read on.

My mod is based on the thickness of the OM lens bayonet flags. They are just a smidge too thick to fit under the PK mount lugs. My cure is to use a Dremel metal-cutting blade to taper the OM flags so they *do* slide under the PK lugs. I do exactly the same with C/Y (Contax-Yashica) mount lenses.

I say that a long heavy lens is risky because those OM flags *are* shaved down to allow a force-fit. With shorter lighter lenses, no problem, but I just don't risk heavy teles modded for PK. I haven't lost a lens yet and I don't intend to start now. Also, if that's a Cosina 'Zeiss', you can probably find a Cosina (or other brand) copy in PK for not too much money.

Let me know if you're interested in some simple metalwork, and I'll tell you how. Cheers!

Last edited by RioRico; 01-30-2012 at 01:36 AM.
01-27-2012, 03:00 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
That 'Zeiss' looks to me like a MIJ Cosina goodie. If so, I have these comments: It's probably not worth the Leitax treatment. It *could* withstand the RioRico treatment (applied dremel work) but might not be really suitable. How much does it weigh? If it's over 450g / 1lb, I'd say it's risky.
Hi lytrytyr and RioRico, thank you for replying to my question.

The lens is indeed a "Zeiss Icon Jena". From what I can gather, the "Jena" part in the name indicates that the lens was made in Japan by Sigma, under license from Zeiss and to their standards; witch mean the quality is quite good.

This particular lens was made with an Olympus mount and so I assume it must be treated as if it was a regular Olympus lens.

I am not too clued up on all this, but I think that apart from changing the actual mounting plate, there must be some other modifications done to make the aperture setting, aperture close down mechanism, etc. work properly.

I did not weigh the lens, but being a 70-210mm zoom it is not very light. Set to 210mm it is also fairly long.

01-27-2012, 05:00 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

My strong recommendation is that you sell the OM lens and replace it with a PK version. But if you insist on using that one...

The modification is non-destructive (lens can still be used on OM cams) and simple -- but again, I don't do this with heavy long lenses. First, buy an ultra-cheap PK macro tube set, the six-bucks sort. Slide an OM lens into the PK mount section and you'll see exactly how the OM flags hang up on the PK lugs. I use a Dremel metal-cutting blade to taper-back the flags about 10mm, so they'll wedge under the PK lugs. This makes for an insecure force-fit. For a bit more security, I cut a slot (about 1.5mm wide and deep, 6mm long) or drill a 1.5mm hole in the lens base at the appropriate spot for the PK locking pin to engage.

Now cut a small piece of strong adhering tape. I use the metal tape used to repair furnace ducts -- not cheap duck tape, it's not firm enough. One of the buttons on the OM lens base shuts-down the aperture. Tape it down. Voila! A manual-aperture lens! If you plan to never use the lens on an OM camera again and you don't care about resale value, you can unscrew the lens base, disable that button, replace the base, and forget about the tape.

Or, if you really really like the lens' optics and want a professional conversion, check Leitax. For valuable lenses, it's worth the cost.
01-28-2012, 02:06 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul Pheiffer Quote
The lens is indeed a "Zeiss Icon Jena". From what I can gather, the "Jena" part in the name indicates that the lens was made in Japan by Sigma, under license from Zeiss and to their standards; witch mean the quality is quite good.
Carl Zeiss Jena usually means the city of Jena in what was formerly referred to as "East Germany" or DDR. The German-made lenses are generally excellent optically with a typical German build quality and were made in mounts to fit primarily East German and FSU cameras. The non-German Jena lenses were made under a name licensure agreement only with no oversight from the DDR entity and were sold branded with the Zeiss name in Britain and a few other countries. Some were of Japanese origin and some were made in other Asian countries. Of course, these have no relationship whatsoever to the MIJ Zeiss in Contax/Yashica mount (Kyocera) or the current MIJ Zeiss (Cosina).

Translation: If it says Carl Zeiss Jena and is not made in DDR, then it is a generic lens badged with the Zeiss name.

As mentioned above, this is a generic zoom and probably not worth spending good money to do the conversion.

Steve

(...here is a good thread on the matter...http://forum.manualfocus.org/viewtopic.php?id=15517)

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-28-2012 at 02:20 PM.
01-28-2012, 02:54 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Sorry to burst your bubble but I concur with stevebrot and RioRico. I see one in Pentax mount being offered in the local CL for $40.00 and the ad keeps on being renewed.
01-29-2012, 11:38 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thank you all for the advice and info. The "manual focus" forum link make for some interesting reading. The "Jena" part of the name bieng linked to the city Jena makes sense. It is a pity that the name was later licenced to another manufacturer, but with no say in the quality output.

It seems like I will have to accept the fact that I can not do much more with this lens, other than to try and sell it to an Olympus user. I contacted Dave at Leitax and even he was not too sure that this conversion will work out properly. :-(