Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2012, 06:33 AM   #1

Pentax 50mm original lens hood?

Hi.

I just wanted to ask if the lens hoods I got from my M50/1.7 (left) and A50/1.7 (right) are original (manufactored by Pentax) ones? The left looks original to me because it's typed Asahi opt but the right one?

Attached Images

01-26-2012, 06:36 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the left i think looks like the hood that came with my Super Tak 50 1.4
the one on the right looks like a generic hood not an original
01-26-2012, 06:41 AM   #3

I have an old Takumar 55mm f1.8 lens and the hood (49mm thread) that came with it looks like the one on the left. My hood is plastic.

Regards
01-26-2012, 08:39 AM   #4

Original Poster
Mine is plastic too. Hmm, so it's not an M lenshood but a Takumar one?

01-26-2012, 08:45 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

My takumar hoods are metal but look like that so maybe it is a m hood if it's plastic and says Pentax (wasn't the Asahi name out of use by the M models though?)
if it says Asahi maybe it's a later 50/55 hood than my metal one
01-26-2012, 08:55 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

If your reason for asking is wanting to have a functionally correct hood for your 50mm lenses, I'd say the one on the right looks like a wide-angle hood. Also, if you're using these lenses on a Pentax DSLR, you can use a longer and/or more constricted hood than would work correctly on 35mm film, because of the cropped field of view with the APS-C sensor. I've used various rubber hoods with various 50mm lenses on my K10D and have never noticed any vignetting even with hoods significantly longer than the ones you show here.
01-26-2012, 09:03 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

I actually use the 50mm tak hood on my m28 with no issue (probably better suited to a 35 though)
01-26-2012, 09:29 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

If the Asahi hood is a clip on 49mm plastic that would have been produced be for an M lens; if 52mm it was intended for a K lens. They usually had the FL they were intended for printed on the side. Many k-mount manual normal and wide lenses also had an optional square hood.

In general the Takumar lenses had metal screw-in hoods. In some cases there was a square option that had a screw ring next to the base. and a dot to line up the hood so it would be vertical.

There is actually a 46mm round all-black Bakelite hood for the very early Auto-Takumars, and the next generation hoods briefly had a silver ring around the base.

Last edited by monochrome; 01-26-2012 at 10:14 AM.
01-26-2012, 09:53 AM   #9
Pentaxian

the left hand hood is the one supplied with normal lenses in the 50-55mm range, however, this was to ensure no vignetting on a full frame (36w x 24h) film camera.

On digital, presently I am using this hood (the 50/55mm hood, on my 35mm lens, and a hood from the 105mmF2.8/100F4 macro on my 50mm. Neither lens suffers vignetting with these hoods.

I am also using the hood from my 200F4 (which is also intended for the 135F2.5) on my 85mmF1.9

I am pretty sure I am not alone in the stepping down of hoods to extend coverage when using old lenses on digital. Other forum members are doing this also
01-26-2012, 02:40 PM   #10

Original Poster
thanks for the replies.

I just wanted to check if it was original things and the left one seem legit.

It is written something with 1:1.7 50mm so I assume it's the original lens hood suplied for the M 1.7 (left one).

One thing i dont understand is why it is threaded inside the hood? It looks like a 62mm filter or something fits there. What is it for?

The bad thing is I cant put the front lens cap on it because it wont fit, so i have to unscrew it everytime I want to put on the lens cap.
01-26-2012, 03:09 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by striker_ Quote
thanks for the replies.

I just wanted to check if it was original things and the left one seem legit.

It is written something with 1:1.7 50mm so I assume it's the original lens hood suplied for the M 1.7 (left one).

One thing i dont understand is why it is threaded inside the hood? It looks like a 62mm filter or something fits there. What is it for?

The bad thing is I cant put the front lens cap on it because it wont fit, so i have to unscrew it everytime I want to put on the lens cap.
You might consider the Op/tech Hood Hat. I haven't used them but they look like they would do the trick.

OP/TECH USA Hood Hat

Regards
01-26-2012, 04:11 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by striker_ Quote
Not sure if the cap you mentioned is the same as mine. It's 49mm, metal. I think Asahi name is engraved on the hood, with the focal length of the lens it's designed for (the hood was so beat up I had to paint it). I use an aftermarket 49mm cap for it:

01-28-2012, 02:30 PM   #13
Site Supporter

I use generic metal screw-on hoods (heavystar on eBay) with my 50s. They work well on both 35mm film and digital. From a functional perspective, the hood should be deep enough to adequately shade the front element while not so deep as to vignette on the largest format supported by the lens. That being said, a "normal" hood will work fine with your lens on both 35mm and APS-C.

BTW...generic hoods often have ridging on the inner surface to dampen reflection. These are also useful for engaging a pinch-type lens cap. I use a 58mm pinch cap for most of my heavystar hoods.

Steve

(no relationship to heavystar on eBay other than as a satisfied customer...)