Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2012, 06:23 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
1.4/15
do you have any idea how big a 22mm f/1.4 would be? a 15mm f/1.4 would be larger still.

01-28-2012, 07:04 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I wouldn't hold my breath on this, I hope you are right but many third party manufacturers are clearly favoring the more profitable canon EF / Nikon F lens mounts.
That is sad, because it can't be too expensive to make it in a Pentax mount, given the similarity of the old K-mount to the Nikon.
01-28-2012, 12:53 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
To be fair the Pentax lens is all metal, and the Tokina is not built as well, but I'd sure like to have the option to sacrifice build quality and get the same optics.
Have you ever used a Tokina lens? They are solid rocks of metal with amazing build quality. They can be used as a hammer or an anvil.

To Quote Ken Rockwell:
QuoteOriginally posted by Ken Rockwell:
Tokina's AT-X lenses are tough. Unlike the dinky Tamrons and dumpy Sigmas, Tokina's lenses feel like real lenses. They feel even tougher and seem to have more metal and meat than the Nikon 12-24mm.
Tokina 11-16mm
01-28-2012, 03:43 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aegon Quote
Have you ever used a Tokina lens? They are solid rocks of metal with amazing build quality.
"Typical for most current Tokina lenses, the build quality of the lens is on a very high level.
The main lens tube is made out of high quality and strong plastic based on a metal mount."

Taken from: Tokina AF 35mm f/2.8 AT-X Pro DX (Nikon) - Review / Test Report

01-28-2012, 06:45 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photozone says some contradictory things about Tokina's finish:

Tokina AF 17mm f/3.5 AT-X Pro - Review / Lab Test Report
"Typical for Tokina AT-X Pro lenses the build quality is stellar and every bit as good as professional grade lenses made by the genuine manufacturers. The outer barrel is made of metal featuring a crinkle-style finish similar to pro grade Nikkors. The rubberized focus ring has a very smooth action."

Tokina AF 16-50mm f/2.8 AT-X Pro DX (Nikon) - Review / Test Report
"The lens body is made of a combination of "armalite" (Tokina's metal alloy) and very high quality plastics. The applied crinkle finish is pretty similar to the one used in some of the pro-grade Nikkors like the AF 80-200mm f/2.8ED. Due to the large front element (77mm filter thread) and the high quality materials the Tokina is a comparatively big and heavy standard zoom lens (although still smaller than the massive Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8)."

Tokina itself doesn't help much:
THK Photo Products, Inc.
"EXTERIOR FINISH
PRO models have a hardened Alumite (Armalite) finish to increase durability and give a top-quality feel and finish.
Ergonomic designs emphasize control, grip and ease of operation with textured rubber used on zoom and focus barrels. These are original Tokina materials, designed to give many years of faithful service without deterioration."

Each Tokina lens weighs more than the corresponding Pentax version. And when I hold them in my hand, it feels solid like metal. Maybe there is some poly blended in, but I don't think it is fair at all to call the construction inferior. I think they are built better.
01-28-2012, 08:05 PM   #21
Pentaxian

The Photozone descriptions need not be contradictory,
if the inner body parts really are plastic,
and the outer coating is anodized aluminum
("alumite" or "Armalite," not to be confused with any small arms).
01-28-2012, 08:15 PM   #22
Forum Member

where are tokina lenses made?
01-28-2012, 08:38 PM   #23
Pentaxian

I believe they're all made in Japan, with Hoya glass.

01-28-2012, 09:01 PM   #24
Pentaxian

I think the "strong plastic" is the zoom and focus rings. But my point is that anyone who says the construction is poor has never held one.
01-30-2012, 09:55 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aegon Quote
Have you ever used a Tokina lens? They are solid rocks of metal with amazing build quality. They can be used as a hammer or an anvil.

To Quote Ken Rockwell:

Tokina 11-16mm
I have played with the Tokina 11-16 that my friend has. I'm not saying it's built poorly, but it's not built like a limited prime. You probably don't need limited prime quality considering the premium though. I recommended the Tokina 35mm 2.8 to a friend going Nikon just recently.
01-30-2012, 10:37 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
And it will future new SD-M !

Is that our current SDM from Pentax, or is this maybe something new?