Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2012, 05:37 PM   #1
Veteran Member

What to look for or test in new DA* 16-50

4 of my 5 lenses are on the bay right now to fund a DA* 16-50 purchase (despite its IQ and problems I really need weather seals). So I'm getting ready to go shopping. Right now I'm expecting to purchase it gray since there is a $600-700 price difference from buying it locally and buying it from Adorama/BHP/other grey places.

Now this lens has some huge quality issues so I want to be prepared. The major one is the SDM failure. I'm going to buy a 7 year MACK international warranty to cover this and other future faults that I may encounter. What I'm looking for is out of the box faults.

The obvious one is de-centering, I've done my research about some ways to check this, the most accurate being using a chart, what I can't find out is which chart should I be using? The other test is to measure vignetting across all sides but I'd rather get an accurate technical test.

AF Calibration, I've done plenty of testing from my experience with the K-r so I should be fine for this.

What other things should I be looking for when I unwrap this beast? I haven't been a pixel peeper with my limited purchases, but with this one I have a feeling I'm going to have to be one just in case.

Also do you think its possible for Adorama (or other shops) to check the lens before shipping it out to me? (I've purchased my limiteds from Adorama and found them to be reliable so I'm more inclined to purchase from them)

01-26-2012, 08:25 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Just go out and shoot a variety of subjects at different settings. If something looks off, you will see it.

Adorama won't, nor will any other reputable seller, check a lens or any other equipment for you. They will not assume the liability that it is good, or bad, or risk messing something up, or forgetting to put the hood back, etc.
01-26-2012, 08:47 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Your new 16-50 should be closer in sharpness to your da35 than you 18-55 at 35 mm. I'd shoot all 3 in controlled conditions (tripod, 2sec timer, live view to focus, news paper on wall or similair) and confirm. I tried 2 copies of 16-50 and both were softer than a crappy consumer zoom in this controlled test. Both were beyond af fine tuning limits too for BF adjustment. Hopefully you get luckier.
01-27-2012, 12:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Your new 16-50 should be closer in sharpness to your da35 than you 18-55 at 35 mm. I'd shoot all 3 in controlled conditions (tripod, 2sec timer, live view to focus, news paper on wall or similair) and confirm. I tried 2 copies of 16-50 and both were softer than a crappy consumer zoom in this controlled test. Both were beyond af fine tuning limits too for BF adjustment. Hopefully you get luckier.
Thanks, I'll make sure to do that, I'll likely sell the other lenses before I buy the 16-50 so I'll just keep a few reference shots as before.
Since I'm buying grey I might have to ship the thing back to USA to get a replacement so I would like to identify any issues ASAP as replacements back and forth could take weeks.

01-27-2012, 12:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 16-50 is not a lens to buy grey market.
01-27-2012, 02:03 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Locally its $1450 ish
at B&H/Adorama/A few others its $800

at a $650 and $60 shipments I can return the lens a few times, then cover myself with a 7 year mack warranty and still be ahead.... we'll thats what I'm thinking anyway, maybe my mind will change by the time my lenses sell and I have the funds to buy the thing
01-27-2012, 02:55 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What lenses are you selling to finance the 16-50?
01-27-2012, 03:12 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'll be selling my 15Ltd, 35 2.4,and 18-55WR, the 70 ltd as well if I need to.
Most people will think i'm crazy selling limiteds to get da*. But I realised I'd rather have 1 big heavy lens than carry 3 small lenses and having to change all the time (I carry all my lenses with me all the time so the weight is still really the same).

01-27-2012, 04:57 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

I think the thing to look at initially is whether there is any decentering of the lens. Shoot a brick wall at different focal lengths and f2.8/4 and make sure it doesn't exhibit a lot of softness on one side compared to the other. Just be warned that the edges/corners may be pretty soft with this lens at f2.8.

Then, I would just shoot a lot with it (shouldn't be a problem, I suppose). I had an SDM motor go about six months after purchasing this lens and now have been shooting 2 and 1/2 years since without problem. I think motors have gotten better, but maybe that's just wishful thinking.
01-27-2012, 07:41 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Verglace Quote
I'll be selling my 15Ltd, 35 2.4,and 18-55WR, the 70 ltd as well if I need to.
Most people will think i'm crazy selling limiteds to get da*. But I realised I'd rather have 1 big heavy lens than carry 3 small lenses and having to change all the time (I carry all my lenses with me all the time so the weight is still really the same).
not crazy..it is all depend on one's shooting style..
I never use prime..I only use zoom.
01-29-2012, 12:05 AM   #11
Adorama Camera Representative

Also do you think its possible for Adorama (or other shops) to check the lens before shipping it out to me? (I've purchased my limiteds from Adorama and found them to be reliable so I'm more inclined to purchase from them)
Yes, subject to certain conditions, we can do this.

Best is to email me directly: Helen@adorama.com

- but don't forget, you do have a 30 days returns period if you get one that is problematic
01-29-2012, 01:22 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Helen Oster Quote
Yes, subject to certain conditions, we can do this.

Best is to email me directly: Helen@adorama.com

- but don't forget, you do have a 30 days returns period if you get one that is problematic
Cool! I'll send you an email closer to my purchase date which should be within a couple of weeks. Having it checked would be great for me since I'm in australia and returning it could cost me some $$, so any sort of checking to reduce the likelihood of a return would be awesome.
01-29-2012, 01:24 AM - 1 Like   #13

Cool! I'll send you an email closer to my purchase date which should be within a couple of weeks. Having it checked would be great for me since I'm in australia and returning it could cost me some $$, so any sort of checking to reduce the likelihood of a return would be awesome.

If you return it within the first 30 days because of a fault, provided you can email me your shipping receipt I'd have the cost refunded to you, if that helps?
01-31-2012, 09:57 PM   #14
Pentaxian

i vouch for Helen's amazing customer service; she really takes care of Adorama customers!!
02-01-2012, 02:27 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
i vouch for Helen's amazing customer service; she really takes care of Adorama customers!!