Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2012, 07:27 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
ND Filter Question as relates to the DA 15

First, many thanks to everybody for speaking so highly of the DA 15. After going back and forth between the DA 12-24mm, Sigma's 10-20mm, and the DA 15, I've decided to go the prime route for my first UW, based on so many glowing reviews of this lens.

This said, I'd also like to pick up 2 or 3 ND filters for use on an upcoming trip that will include a visit to the Grand Canyon. Based upon another thread, I've decided to go the B&W route.

Here's the question: Will the standard B&W ND filters cause vignetting or do I need to get the Slim Glass version?

Thanks in advance for any/all responses.

01-26-2012, 07:45 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I got a Hoya ND400 its the standard filter size, it didnt cause any more vignetting (the filter is smaller than the lens hood extended). But at 2 filters stacked together it did cause vignetting.
01-26-2012, 07:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AlphaGAK20D Quote
First, many thanks to everybody for speaking so highly of the DA 15. After going back and forth between the DA 12-24mm, Sigma's 10-20mm, and the DA 15, I've decided to go the prime route for my first UW, based on so many glowing reviews of this lens.

This said, I'd also like to pick up 2 or 3 ND filters for use on an upcoming trip that will include a visit to the Grand Canyon. Based upon another thread, I've decided to go the B&W route.

Here's the question: Will the standard B&W ND filters cause vignetting or do I need to get the Slim Glass version?

Thanks in advance for any/all responses.
Just based on my limited playing around, you're okay with one tiffen (which is wider than the standard b+w), but you only have room for one filter. Any more and you will vignette.
01-26-2012, 08:02 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Verglace Quote
I got a Hoya ND400 its the standard filter size, it didnt cause any more vignetting (the filter is smaller than the lens hood extended). But at 2 filters stacked together it did cause vignetting.
QuoteOriginally posted by Andrew Faires Quote
Just based on my limited playing around, you're okay with one tiffen (which is wider than the standard b+w), but you only have room for one filter. Any more and you will vignette.
Thank you for the quick replies. Nice to know that I can get away with the standard size, but it looks like stacking would require the slim glass version. Can anybody confirm?

Also, for sake of the thread and anybody else wondering the same, what 2 or 3 ND flavors should I most consider? At this point I'm thinking a 10 stop (ND 3.0), 3 stop (ND .9), and possibly the 2 stop (ND .6) - the latter two being the ones I'd most likely want to stack, though only if I can confirm that the slim glass version is stackable. Thanks again for the quick replies!

01-26-2012, 08:12 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Ive read somewhere that slim filters don't fit the da15 so well (at all?)

Why do you want with a 2 or 3 stop anyway? For shots without people use a 10 stop, for shots with people use a 6 stop.

I've done quite a few long exposures with the da15. I'd recommend just starting with 1 nd filter, a 10 stop.
01-26-2012, 08:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote

Why do you want with a 2 or 3 stop anyway? For shots without people use a 10 stop, for shots with people use a 6 stop.

I've done quite a few long exposures with the da15. I'd recommend just starting with 1 nd filter, a 10 stop.

Thank you for the input. All you needed to do was point me to your Flickr stream - fantastic work! OK, I'm sold - no need, and sounds like no use, for the slim line.
01-26-2012, 08:40 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
for what its worth, I bought a 9 stop ND filter in the size to suit my largest lenses. I then bought stepping rings to be able to use it on all of my lenses.

there is no vignetting issues when using a 72mm filter in a 49mm dia lens, (although it looks less than graceful)
01-26-2012, 08:56 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
for what its worth, I bought a 9 stop ND filter in the size to suit my largest lenses. I then bought stepping rings to be able to use it on all of my lenses.

there is no vignetting issues when using a 72mm filter in a 49mm dia lens, (although it looks less than graceful)
Thanks too for this input. I'd considered going this route, but decided to just stick with the 49mm size. It will fit the DA 15 and 40, and if I decide I really want to use it on other lenses, I'll sell and go with a stepping ring or rings.

01-26-2012, 09:14 PM   #9
Veteran Member

+1 to B+W 10 stop in 49mm size if you have other da / fa limiteds (yes even the fa 31 with step down ring without vignetting on digital - not sure about film)

you can pull the hood out as well
01-26-2012, 10:19 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote

I know a lot of people like 3-stop ND filters for waterfall shots, where you're under canopy with less ambient light to control, and also don't want to blur the water too much. That is a pretty specialized purpose though.
01-27-2012, 07:29 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chickenandavocado Quote
+1 to B+W 10 stop in 49mm size if you have other da / fa limiteds (yes even the fa 31 with step down ring without vignetting on digital - not sure about film)

you can pull the hood out as well
QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
I know a lot of people like 3-stop ND filters for waterfall shots, where you're under canopy with less ambient light to control, and also don't want to blur the water too much. That is a pretty specialized purpose though.
Thanks! I ended up ordering the 10 stop and 6 stop filters, as well as the DA-15 (very pumped about this addition to the stable), from B&H. I like to shoot landscapes and love shooting at the beach, so both of these filters should come in handy; if I add waterfalls to the mix, I can always add another filter or two. LBA meet FBA, right? Cheers to all.