Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2012, 11:17 PM   #31

You can find an A ring and make it and A easly

01-28-2012, 01:54 PM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
I just got a reply from the seller:

"due to a higher repair rate of PK-A mount, the original manufacturer has suspended the PK-A production starting from 2011."

So it sounds like last year they stopped putting in the contacts because they were failing. So current production is just PK. This lens is still worth it in my opinion and the seller is reliable.
It is unlikely that the contacts were failing. They require no chips or electronics. The logic is in the arrangement and is based on simple continuity. What is more likely is that the aperture actuation mechanism itself was not able to provide the precision or accuracy needed to support aperture control by the body.

Steve
01-28-2012, 05:11 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This is very interesting. I've noticed these lenses on ebay uk while hunting for a Pentax M 85/2: Portrait Lens CAMDIOX 85mm f/2.0 for Pentax K200D K-x r | eBay

They appear to be the same. I had not been able to find any reviews at all, so thanks to Laurentiu for the review! Under the Camdiox brand name, the only comment I could find on flickr was
QuoteQuote:
'Very disappointing chinese made lens : / or maybe its the film ? Maybe both ? ; )'
Any portrait samples seen with this lens? Could it overtake the M 85/2 as the 'poor mans FA77'? ;P

Last edited by ihasa; 01-28-2012 at 05:24 PM.
01-28-2012, 11:56 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It is unlikely that the contacts were failing. They require no chips or electronics. The logic is in the arrangement and is based on simple continuity. What is more likely is that the aperture actuation mechanism itself was not able to provide the precision or accuracy needed to support aperture control by the body.
You are probably right. I checked my sample again and I found an issue at high f-stops - at f/16 and above I noticed a small delay in the closing of the aperture - it closes almost completely, but then it takes another fraction of a second to close fully. I didn't see any issue under f/8 and I never used higher f-stops anyway. But something to keep in mind.

QuoteOriginally posted by ihasa Quote
This is very interesting. I've noticed these lenses on ebay uk while hunting for a Pentax M 85/2: Portrait Lens CAMDIOX 85mm f/2.0 for Pentax K200D K-x r | eBay

They appear to be the same.
Yes, looks like the same lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by ihasa Quote
Any portrait samples seen with this lens? Could it overtake the M 85/2 as the 'poor mans FA77'? ;P
This lens works very well for portraits. No magic, or pixie dust, or other esoteric impressions, but it is a competent lens. It all stems from the fact that it is usable wide open, so you can blur the background easily. Unfortunately, I have shared no portraits from it. I have no idea how the M 85/2 behaves, but I expect it to at least have better coatings and resistance to flare. If the Samyang is within your budget - I'd go for that.

Here's an image I took today @f/2:

01-29-2012, 05:52 PM   #35
Veteran Member

It is a very good lens. Here is my review:

Mitakon 85/2 review

What makes you think that it doesn't anymore - even the pictures in the listing show the A position. The aperture lever does not show clearly in the pic, but it's there. Ask the seller if you have doubts.
Because the seller puts in bold that its NOT an "A" and wants potential buyers to be informed of that before they bid. Darn nice of them.

Thanks for asking them and getting their response. Lowers the value of the lens IMHO and the price does not appear to have come down as a result of lowering the utility of the lens. That's a shame IMHO. $125 for this or $269 for the Vivitar 85/1.4....hmmm......

Last edited by Docrwm; 01-29-2012 at 05:58 PM.
01-29-2012, 06:14 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter

I checked my lens - out of those three contact holes in the mount, only the middle one has a contact in it.
So this appears to match the correct KA pattern for an f/2 to f/22 lens. The middle of the three holes would be the A pin -- the contact that tells the camera whether or not the lens is in the A setting. That is consistent with the observation that aperture information makes it to EXIF, but that there is no A setting.

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
For a lens to be a PKA lens, it must not only have the A setting on the aperture ring but it must also have the electrical contacts on the lens mount and embedded chip on the lens to provide electronic/exif info.
Not quite, the chip didn't appear until the F series. That's the seventh contact, which passes info in some sort of serial protocol. The original six contacts are simple conducting/non-conducting contacts; three to encode the magnitude of the aperture range, one for the A setting, and two for the minimum aperture value.
03-08-2012, 03:08 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
How well did this lens compare to Jupiter-9? I heard that the Russian lens is a bit soft/glow wide open?
I'm planning to sell few of my 135's to get a 85mm, a cheaper one, not them Takumars or the like.