Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2012, 12:35 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
That is not true. It is actually an A lens, so it works better than Takumars or K/M lenses.
The listing explicitly says (copy/paste):

QuoteQuote:
This bidding is for Pentax PK Mount ONLY(NOT PK-A Mount).

Last edited by Ikarus; 01-27-2012 at 12:45 PM.
01-27-2012, 02:44 PM   #17
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Ikarus Quote
The listing explicitly says (copy/paste):

He may not be familiar with the intricacies of the Pentax K mount variants and the manufacturer may have only mentioned it is for PK mount. But to make sure, I just asked the seller. I'll post the reply here.
01-27-2012, 04:17 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Mitakon 85mm f/2

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
note this lens comes in K mount but without aperture lever, which means it works like an M42 lens.

relitively cheap but..... i would take a tak 1.8/1.9 over this any day.
Don't know where you got the idea that it has no aperture lever. I have this lens and it definitely has an aperture lever. It is a PK-mount lens, not a PK-A lens. It works like any K or M series lens as the A setting doesn't work. The lens has a double Gauss design based on the Nikkor 85mm f/2 which is an excellent lens. The picture quality from this lens is good. I have a mint copy of this lens if anyone is interested in it.

Sample image

Last edited by creampuff; 01-27-2012 at 04:32 PM.
01-27-2012, 04:21 PM   #19
Pentaxian

So it *has* an A setting, but it doesn't work? Genius!

01-27-2012, 04:27 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
So it *has* an A setting, but it doesn't work? Genius!
For a lens to be a PKA lens, it must not only have the A setting on the aperture ring but it must also have the electrical contacts on the lens mount and embedded chip on the lens to provide electronic/exif info. On the Mitakon, there are no electrical contacts on the lens mount. Nonetheless, it is still a fine lens optically and makes for a nice manual focus short tele lens that's very affordable. Bokeh is decent, not bad for portraits.
01-27-2012, 04:28 PM   #21
Banned

The A setting works for me. But the aperture ring doesn't have any lock on the A position, so if it slides off that position, it works as a K lens.
01-27-2012, 04:35 PM   #22
Banned

BTW, I have some sample shots in a PF album as well:

Laurentiu Cristofor's Album: Mitakon MC 85/2 - PentaxForums.com

If you check the EXIF, you will see that aperture information is recorded for these shots. That wouldn't be possible if the lens was a simple K-mount lens.

01-27-2012, 04:38 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
For a lens to be a PKA lens, it must not only have the A setting on the aperture ring but it must also have the electrical contacts on the lens mount and embedded chip on the lens to provide electronic/exif info. On the Mitakon, there are no electrical contacts on the lens mount. Nonetheless, it is still a fine lens optically and makes for a nice manual focus short tele lens that's very affordable. Bokeh is decent, not bad for portraits.
But it makes no sense to put the A on the aperture ring and not have it work, agreed?
01-27-2012, 04:47 PM   #24
Banned

For a lens to be a PKA lens, it must not only have the A setting on the aperture ring but it must also have the electrical contacts on the lens mount and embedded chip on the lens to provide electronic/exif info.
I don't think there is any embedded chip, but there is one contact to signal it's an A lens - check your lens for it.

Note the contact to the right of the mount lock in this picture:
File:Pentax A 50mm F1.7.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You should have that on your Mitakon too. Just make sure that you turn the aperture ring all the way towards the A position. On my sample, I can turn the ring a bit further than the A.
01-27-2012, 04:55 PM   #25
Veteran Member

The A setting works for me. But the aperture ring doesn't have any lock on the A position, so if it slides off that position, it works as a K lens.
Are you certain the lens communicates with the camera body? To my understanding, this lens isn't a PKA lens, despite the A setting on the aperture ring because there are no electrical contacts. On my lens, slots for the electrical contacts are there but vacant. Unless the lens is modded to be a PKA lens, this lens just works like any K or M series lens that requires use of the green button to establish exposure.

Rear lens mount of my Mitakon 85mm f/2. Aperture lever is visible but no electrical contacts in place.
01-27-2012, 04:57 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
But it makes no sense to put the A on the aperture ring and not have it work, agreed?
What's your beef? This is quite normal for many el-cheapo legacy lenses. :ugh:
01-27-2012, 05:09 PM   #27
Banned

Are you certain the lens communicates with the camera body?
As my album shots show, the aperture is recorded in the EXIF. I have the lens mounted on my K-7 - I'll take it out and check how it looks.

Maybe the manufacturer ran out of contact material and they made a batch without
01-27-2012, 05:11 PM   #28
Veteran Member

As my album shots show, the aperture is recorded in the EXIF. I have the lens mounted on my K-7 - I'll take it out and check how it looks.

Maybe the manufacturer ran out of contact material and they made a batch without
Hmm, maybe time to mod mine to be a PKA...
01-27-2012, 07:10 PM   #29
Banned

Rear lens mount of my Mitakon 85mm f/2. Aperture lever is visible but no electrical contacts in place.
I checked my lens - out of those three contact holes in the mount, only the middle one has a contact in it.
01-27-2012, 10:13 PM   #30
Banned

I just got a reply from the seller:

"due to a higher repair rate of PK-A mount, the original manufacturer has suspended the PK-A production starting from 2011."

So it sounds like last year they stopped putting in the contacts because they were failing. So current production is just PK. This lens is still worth it in my opinion and the seller is reliable.