Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2012, 02:26 PM   #1
Forum Member

Project: Rescuing an M50 1.7 from death by saltwater

Last night i was out shooting boats. The tide was out, so i went all the way down little beach, a meter or so from the incoming sea, and started to shoot. Soon i noticed some northern lights, so i pulled off the M50 and replaced it with an M28 to try to get both boat and northern lights in the same picture. I placed the M50 in my bag, but forgot to close it...due to heavy wind, the bag toppled over, and i didn't notice the M50 rolling out until this afternoon when i needed it for a low-light indoor shoot. I looked everywhere, but couldn't find it, until i went back to the beach 24 hours later...and lo and behold, there was my M50, drenched in salt water.

I have now completely picked it apart(yes, i did lose the little ball which provides the clicks for the aperture ring), washed every part, and stuck it in the oven at 6+ degrees C. I notice some of the parts have already started to corrode, and if i ever get all the pieces where they are supposed to be, i have no hopes of the lens working as nicely as it once used to do.

Does anyone have any experience with dismantling and putting together these M lenses? Any oil or lube on any parts, i wonder?

01-27-2012, 02:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry to hear about the lens. If it were me, I'd send it to Eric for a CLA - he's worked magic on one of my lenses and is quite reasonable.
01-27-2012, 02:46 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the tip!

I live in Norway, so i fear the postage back and forth will be pretty close to what i paid for it(41$). I've already made a couple of shamefully low bids on evilbay for an A 1.4 and an A 1.7, so this is a 'lesson learned'(ALWAYS close the bag!) for me, and perhaps i'll learn something while putting it back together aswell
01-27-2012, 02:55 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by morpho Quote
Thanks for the tip!

I live in Norway, so i fear the postage back and forth will be pretty close to what i paid for it(41$). I've already made a couple of shamefully low bids on evilbay for an A 1.4 and an A 1.7, so this is a 'lesson learned'(ALWAYS close the bag!) for me, and perhaps i'll learn something while putting it back together aswell
Sorry, didn't think to look at your profile. My mistake. This might help - its the service diagram for the A50/1.7, that's as close as I could come in my references.

http://pentax-manuals.com/manuals/service/smca5017.pdf

01-27-2012, 03:25 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Sorry, didn't think to look at your profile. My mistake. This might help - its the service diagram for the A50/1.7, that's as close as I could come in my references.

http://pentax-manuals.com/manuals/service/smca5017.pdf
I was curious and was going to check out that pdf (as my m50 1.7 was my first, and probably still favorite manual lens), but it's passworded...
01-27-2012, 03:58 PM   #6

The PDF password is Pentax.
01-27-2012, 07:54 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by J. Stanz Quote
The PDF password is Pentax.
Thanks, I was out tonight at the observatory. Hope it's useful.

-Robert
01-28-2012, 08:07 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the schematics!

I succeeded in putting the lens back together, after picking it completely apart, washing everything in mild soap, and then fresh water, and then i dried it in the oven a few hours. This morning i set to work, and it took me over 5 hours to get it back together, but, yes, it works! I may have to pick some of it apart again and clean the glass elements better, but right now i'm just amazed that it works totally fine. Lost the little aperture 'clicker' and one tiny screw in the process, but thats allright. It works! Now i'm just hoping i managed to get rid of all the saltwater so it will continue to work...

Last edited by morpho; 01-28-2012 at 08:08 AM. Reason: typos
01-28-2012, 05:05 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
And to prove that it works i set up a photoshoot with my dog.

K-5, 50mm 1.7@ 2.8 and 4, ISO 1250

Think i will have to open it again and clean the lens elements better, but other than that it seems allright!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo