Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2012, 11:48 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Voytech Quote
I can only speak of the Tamron 10-24 since I own it. It is a workhorse lens. Quality is great if you know what to avoid.
This is really the wide angle problem we all face. Every choice out there is pretty darn good as far a IQ goes so we have to look at other features that may be appealing or not to us. I chose the DA 15 because of it's size and weight. I hike and paddle and that stuff is important. The small Limiteds fit in the vest pocket of my PFD or jacket.

01-29-2012, 05:47 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Because the question comes up so often, we're planning on doing a 10-24mm Tamron vs 12-24mm Sigma/Pentax comparison. Stay tuned for that!
Good to hear. It does come up frequently. Thanks.
01-30-2012, 10:26 PM   #18
Site Supporter

So what about the 14mm Pentax F2.8? I see that there is the 15mm club (it controls my mind) but I don't see many posts about the 14mm.
01-31-2012, 10:50 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm with Ross on this one. The DA 14/2.8 is a lot faster than the DA 15/4. The 15 has a the bigger fan club but there is no substitute for speed.

Tom G

01-31-2012, 10:53 AM   #20
Veteran Member

^ I heard that the pentax 14mm is an awesome lens, I tried it at our nearest camera store and I personally think that it's sharp, it is also fast for a wide angle but the down side is it's "HUGE" compared to the 15mm.The 15mm is small and very well built, it's not that fast, but being a wide angle you don't really need to, thus the 15mm wins in my book.
01-31-2012, 10:09 PM   #21
Site Supporter

well, best "value" suggests a compromise of quality vs price, and i dont know what any of this stuff costs at the moment...however, my route would be to buy the DA15 and then if you need to supplement that focal length with some sort of wider zoom, add to taste. I did pick up the Sig10-20 for the occasional 12mm shot, but i will always pull the DA15 out of the bag first, it is unbeatable, IMO.

best "value" to me would mean always buying used gear, for starters.
01-31-2012, 10:46 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I'd say the 15mm. While the Pentax 14mm is sharp and fast, I found it had a slightly warmer tone to it. Neither is weather sealed, and I'm not using an UWA wide open, so the size of the 15mm won out for my needs.

The other consideration is that I use a cokin P holder/singh-ray filters, and the 14mm vignetted horribly. The 15mm, on the other hand works perfectly with my existing filter set (once I got around the lens-hood).
02-01-2012, 02:41 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
best "value" to me would mean always buying used gear, for starters.
Quite true. But there aren't many used UWAs at affordable prices. Almost any prime wider than 24mm fetches a solid price, because there just weren't that many made before the introduction of half-frame dSLRs. The "best wide bargain" now is the DA18-55. The next wider bargain is the slightly fishy Zenitar 16/2.8. The next cost-effective option is IMHO the Tamron 10-24, especially with a discount coupon. Everything else costs more AFAIK.

02-01-2012, 03:05 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Quite true. But there aren't many used UWAs at affordable prices. Almost any prime wider than 24mm fetches a solid price, because there just weren't that many made before the introduction of half-frame dSLRs. The "best wide bargain" now is the DA18-55. The next wider bargain is the slightly fishy Zenitar 16/2.8. The next cost-effective option is IMHO the Tamron 10-24, especially with a discount coupon. Everything else costs more AFAIK.
Well, that depends on what you call "affordable". In my book, for what it is, the DA15/4 is pretty affordable now (which is part of the reason I bought one). I also have the DA14/2.8, and I have to say that the DA15 is probably a bit sharper, with a bit higher contrast, but it would be line-ball with colour (I realise that's all a bit subjective, but so is photo appreciation) and I don't get blacking out on my focussing screen to the same extent as I do on the DA15. From my viewpoint, the major shortcoming of the DA14 is that cumbersome lens hood, which makes it a less comfortable travel companion than the DA15.

I've also got the Sigma 10-20/3.5, which I'd take travelling in preference to the DA14/2.8, because of the flexibility and IQ of the Sigma (and its lens hood is a bl**dy sight smaller than the Pentax's huge one!).
02-01-2012, 10:19 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
I'm with Ross on this one. The DA 14/2.8 is a lot faster than the DA 15/4. The 15 has a the bigger fan club but there is no substitute for speed.
Sure there is - shooting with a higher ISO. But that's seldom much if any of an issue in real life, since shooting speeds at 15mm can be slow enough that you really don't need to be concerned. The DA15 is just the better lens in virtually every way, and the are next to no real world situations where that difference in speed will result in any noticeable improvement in the final image.