Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2012, 08:40 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
charliezap's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: saugus ma
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,248
PENTAX-DA 12-24mm F4 ED AL IF Lens

I'm very interested in the PENTAX-DA 12-24mm F4 ED AL IF Lens. Adorama and B&H have it for $699.My question is that I have it seen being sold elsewhere for much much more money.I've seen it around $1500--I assume it's the same lens and if so do people actually buy paying much more not only on lenses but other equipment as well?----charliezap

01-29-2012, 09:11 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tumbleweed, Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,107
It was the same lens at the same price I paid several years ago. Just because its offered for more elsewhere, does not necessary mean that they are selling. If you can get it from B&H and Adorama for less, I would not worry that its inferior in any way. Acquire it and enjoy using it....

01-29-2012, 09:32 AM   #3
Site Supporter
dunerunner's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The Black Hills
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,078
I got mine from Adorama for that price 2 years ago and it was first rate in every respect with very good customer service.
01-29-2012, 09:36 AM   #4
Pentaxian
JinDesu's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York City
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,626
I believe that the reason why it was selling for around $1k or more other markets was because the lens was not available for sale at typical retail stores (Adorama and B&H), which made the demand bump the price up.

01-29-2012, 10:35 AM   #5
Pentaxian
aleonx3's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,888
My experience with Adorama is that the items I got from them appears to be open box items (the last one is a sekonic flashmate); perhaps I am just not lucky, or where else can they move the items if a customer returns it without any good reasons. But if you can purchase it in person and not having them ship to you, you should not have to worry.
01-29-2012, 01:22 PM   #6
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Quebec
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 210
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
My experience with Adorama is that the items I got from them appears to be open box items (the last one is a sekonic flashmate); perhaps I am just not lucky, or where else can they move the items if a customer returns it without any good reasons. But if you can purchase it in person and not having them ship to you, you should not have to worry.
I ordered a 12-24for that price at Adorama 1,5 years ago and the lens I got was a total piece of crap. Scratch on the hood, huge back focus, decentered. I returned it a got a new one. The second was perfect. Be very carefull when you receive the lens.
01-29-2012, 02:27 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 43,182
Their return policy is generous enough that they should replace it no problem- I wouldn't worry too much. Same goes for B&H. I got mine there a while back and it's still working great!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-31-2012, 11:28 AM - 1 Like   #8
Adorama Camera Representative
Helen Oster's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 548
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
My experience with Adorama is that the items I got from them appears to be open box items (the last one is a sekonic flashmate); perhaps I am just not lucky, or where else can they move the items if a customer returns it without any good reasons.
Customer returns are either sold as 'Open Box' or returned to the manufacturer.
It is certainly against our policy to ship out used items as new. At this point I can only apologize that you received a piece of equipment that appeared not to be brand new.

There is one probable explanation as to what may have happened; the manufacturers and distributors, who supply to Adorama, and of course, other retailers, do allow us to return equipment as new, because of over-stocks, exchanges etc. This can be a particular issue after the Christmas holiday when we all need to balance out our inventories.

Even if we at Adorama are completely thorough when packaging up these items for return, there is no doubt that less scrupulous retailers could well be receiving returns, trusting the customer's explanation that they never opened the box - packaging them up for return to the manufacturer or distributor. These items then form part of the inventory for sending out to other retailers.

We can't inspect the contents of every package received into the warehouse from the manufacturer, and if the manufacturer doesn't check the equipment before sending it back out, from the customer's perspective it is us who looks bad, even though it may well have not been our fault.

At Adorama we do have liberal return policies and there is no doubt that on occasion this is taken advantage of - although this does not exempt us from more closely checking any and all returns, some retailers don't.

The problem is that we are all relying upon humans to carry out the required procedures at every point in the transaction, which can, and does, result in mistakes at any place along the line.

If this ever happens we ask customers to return such an item to us for an immediate exchange - a pre-paid label will be sent out, together with full instructions for returning it to us.

Please make a note of my email address and if you ever have concerns in the future, do get in touch: Helen@adorama.com

01-31-2012, 11:39 AM   #9
Pentaxian
JinDesu's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York City
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,626
Wowza, great response there.
01-31-2012, 06:06 PM   #10
Senior Member
drugal's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Detroit suburbs
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 257
I've had nothing but good experiences with Adorama.

I've bought all my new photo equipment from them. (K-x, DA 21, DA 40, tripod, etc)
01-31-2012, 06:36 PM   #11
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Quebec
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 210
Great explanation

QuoteOriginally posted by Helen Oster Quote
Customer returns are either sold as 'Open Box' or returned to the manufacturer.
It is certainly against our policy to ship out used items as new. At this point I can only apologize that you received a piece of equipment that appeared not to be brand new.

There is one probable explanation as to what may have happened; the manufacturers and distributors, who supply to Adorama, and of course, other retailers, do allow us to return equipment as new, because of over-stocks, exchanges etc. This can be a particular issue after the Christmas holiday when we all need to balance out our inventories.

Even if we at Adorama are completely thorough when packaging up these items for return, there is no doubt that less scrupulous retailers could well be receiving returns, trusting the customer's explanation that they never opened the box - packaging them up for return to the manufacturer or distributor. These items then form part of the inventory for sending out to other retailers.

We can't inspect the contents of every package received into the warehouse from the manufacturer, and if the manufacturer doesn't check the equipment before sending it back out, from the customer's perspective it is us who looks bad, even though it may well have not been our fault.

At Adorama we do have liberal return policies and there is no doubt that on occasion this is taken advantage of - although this does not exempt us from more closely checking any and all returns, some retailers don't.

The problem is that we are all relying upon humans to carry out the required procedures at every point in the transaction, which can, and does, result in mistakes at any place along the line.

If this ever happens we ask customers to return such an item to us for an immediate exchange - a pre-paid label will be sent out, together with full instructions for returning it to us.

Please make a note of my email address and if you ever have concerns in the future, do get in touch: Helen@adorama.com

Thanks for the explanation. These kind of situation are very frustrating for the customers, but I understand that it is out of your control. The only problem with return for customers like me who live outside of USA (Canada in my case) is we have to pay taxes when you ship the replacement item back and then fill all the paperwork to get a reimbursement from our "cash hungry" government. If you could do something about that, it would be very much appreciated. For example, if there could be a clear statement on the package saying "exchange at no additional cost", it could help.
02-01-2012, 04:01 AM   #12
Adorama Camera Representative
Helen Oster's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 548
QuoteOriginally posted by SylBer Quote
Thanks for the explanation. These kind of situation are very frustrating for the customers, but I understand that it is out of your control. The only problem with return for customers like me who live outside of USA (Canada in my case) is we have to pay taxes when you ship the replacement item back and then fill all the paperwork to get a reimbursement from our "cash hungry" government. If you could do something about that, it would be very much appreciated. For example, if there could be a clear statement on the package saying "exchange at no additional cost", it could help.

It SHOULD state vendor return on replacement packages that we send out. I'm certainly going to copy your posting to Adam, our fab Distribution Center Manager - but I'd be very interested to collect details of any occasions when packages may not be labelled correctly, so we can see why some are slipping through.
02-01-2012, 12:49 PM   #13
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Quebec
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 210
QuoteOriginally posted by Helen Oster Quote
It SHOULD state vendor return on replacement packages that we send out. I'm certainly going to copy your posting to Adam, our fab Distribution Center Manager - but I'd be very interested to collect details of any occasions when packages may not be labelled correctly, so we can see why some are slipping through.
Thaks. if I ever face this situation again, I will certainly advise the customer service department to make sure the note is on the package. Thanks again.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
f4, k-mount, lens, pentax lens, pentax-da, pentax-da 12-24mm f4, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax-FA* 24mm F2 AL [IF] Lens Samples rob1234 Lens Sample Photo Archive 15 01-08-2017 10:29 AM
Pentax 12-24mm lens - filter? jim.haase Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 15 12-24-2011 06:27 PM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax D FA 100mm f/2.8 WR Macro lens + smc-A 24mm f/2.8 lens (US) chemxaj Sold Items 7 07-07-2011 08:18 AM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax DA12-24mm f4, Pentax FA50mm /1.4, Pentax DA18-55mm kit lens (Worldwide) geauxpez Sold Items 16 03-10-2011 09:20 AM
Price to have Pentax check a lens? (FA* 24mm) arpaagent Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 19 03-14-2010 09:30 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:27 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top