Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2012, 07:34 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yeah, I also like the 55mm a lot. I basically sold off my 50mm f1.4 in the process. I managed to get a good deal online when a Newegg was getting rid of their stock (at one time they did carry the lens...).

- 55mm is a more appealing focal length on APS-C compared to 50mm in my opinion.
- SDM is nice and quiet (I do think it's a bit slow...)
- Nice sharp high contrast images.
- My lens seems to have the highest focus accuracy of my lenses. That's important with such a large aperture lens.
- WR

I hope to someday attach mine to a FF DSLR and see how it does. It will probably be my go-to normal at that point.

Last edited by sjwaldron; 01-30-2012 at 09:23 PM.
01-30-2012, 08:01 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Most Pentax users will never experience the stunning image quality the DA* 55mm f/1.4 offers. My top 10 reasons:

1) can't afford this lens or not prepared to pay for it
3) have an irrational fear of SDM to appreciate how quiet it focuses
4) think the focusing is slow, which it isn't
5) can't appreciate the color rendition and superior optical performance compared with most other lenses
6) think the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 is better, which it isn't
8) can't appreciate bokeh (err, what's that?)
9) don't think better build quality and WR is a big deal
The Sigma is a better lens in every way except or the weather sealing.

AF is faster, quieter, and very accurate.
Sharper from F/1.4 to f/4.0 (which is why you buy this type of lens).
Bokeh from the Sigma is excellent.

I tried 2 DA* 55mm lenses from B&H & Amazon before trying the Sigma. I would have rather had the smaller weather sealed DA* 55mm, but the Sigma's IQ was better. Hopefully QC will improve under Ricoh and we will see some improved glass. The DA* 55mm is not as good as the Sigma. It is a great lens, but not better. I realize the fanboys will argue, but read the reviews. Try them both. Yes, the Sigma is big, and heavy. No it is not weather sealed. The IQ is however better than the DA* 55mm. Only Sigma lens I have ever owned, but I will buy the 85mm in the near future.
01-30-2012, 09:18 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
The Sigma is a better lens in every way except or the weather sealing.
The Sigma fares badly in comparison with two MF lenses,
the Voigtlaender Nokton 58/1.4 and the Zeiss Makro-Planar 50/2,
in the Photozone tests on the FF Canon EOS.
There don't seem to be tests that allow comparison with the DA*55,
but if you don't mind, or even prefer, manual focus,
then there are some better choices (or at least were until recently).
01-30-2012, 11:33 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Most Pentax users will never experience the stunning image quality the DA* 55mm f/1.4 offers. My top 10 reasons:

1) can't afford this lens or not prepared to pay for it
2) will make do with the cheaper and inferior FA 50mm f/1.4
3) have an irrational fear of SDM to appreciate how quiet it focuses
4) think the focusing is slow, which it isn't
5) can't appreciate the color rendition and superior optical performance compared with most other lenses
6) think the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 is better, which it isn't
7) have the mistaken belief the FA 43mm f/1.9 Limited is as good (close but not quite)
8) can't appreciate bokeh (err, what's that?)
9) don't think better build quality and WR is a big deal
10) have too many old manual focus 50mm lenses lying around to consider it
Excellent points, I agree with every one.

QuoteOriginally posted by brofkand Quote
I owned one of these lenses the first time I had a Pentax camera, back in '09-'10 with the K-7. What an amazingly sharp lens. I have a few 16x20's from that lens and they are stunning. Switched away from Pentax and bought a 60D.

I just ordered another one for my K-5 (yes, back with Pentax. Couldn't stay away), and I came back mostly for this lens. I remember how sharp and beautiful it is.

What have your experiences been with it? It seems like it may be a less popular choice on this site. Everyone raves about the 16-45 and 17-70 and of course the limiteds, but I don't see much love for the 55 1.4. I think it's perhaps one of Pentax's best.
The DA*55 is a real gem in Pentax land, its a shame people over look it because they are missing out on one of the best lenses for Pentax

01-31-2012, 04:30 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I haven't shot with the Sigma 50mm, but I can vouch that the DA *55 is plenty sharp from wide open. I think it is a lens that has had issues with QC and there are a number of people who have reported auto focus not being able to be adjusted; however when you have a good one it is really good. In particular, I think it stands head and shoulders above the FA 50 f1.4. Just sharper at wide apertures, better contrast, better flare resistance, and obviously a lot nicer build.

01-31-2012, 07:09 AM   #21
Forum Member

7) have the mistaken belief the FA 43mm f/1.9 Limited is as good (close but not quite)
I would add size. For many people it's an issue, and you have the possibility to own a good (close but not quite) lens that it's ⅓ the 55.
01-31-2012, 07:46 AM   #22
Pentaxian

I have this lens since july 2009. It is a real fantastic lens. Downside is slow in AF and it needs to be good paring with your camera in terms of AF-adjustment (wich mine does).

01-31-2012, 10:46 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I personally really like how this lens renders skin tones. It's not perfect, but I do love this lens.

02-01-2012, 01:50 AM   #24
Veteran Member

When I had to cut back on lenses I kept two of them. The DA*55 was one of the ones I kept.
04-23-2012, 06:10 AM   #25

I'm an absolute beginner of DSLR. I own a k-r and recently got the 55mm 1.4 lens from B&H. I probably dont know how to use it at all and have a few questions:

1) when I move the camera after auto focusing (pressing half down), the focus changes. This doesn't happen with the 18-55mm kit lens. Is it normal?
2) when the subject of the shooting moves, the focus also shifts.

Am I doing something wrong or is this lens supposed to be only used for non moving objects?

Thanks. Would appreciate if anyone could give me some basic tutorial on this.
04-23-2012, 06:16 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you still need convincing, look at TOUGEFC's contributions in the DA* club thread
04-23-2012, 09:42 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The DA*55 is known to have problems attaining consistently accurate focus. This was Dpreview's experience as well as my own. So, if and when you buy one, test it very carefully. People who get good copies seem to be very pleased with it.

Rob
04-23-2012, 09:53 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I got a DA*55 a couple months ago. It has quickly become my go to lens. I absolutely adore it! So sharp, wonderful contrast, and I love how it renders images. I liken it quite a bit to the FA77. I think the images from those two have a similar feel to them.

I got mine used off eBay for a great price ($500). I was taking a chance, but I've had no problems thus far and find it is one of my most accurate focusing lenses. It's a lens I heartily recommend!
04-23-2012, 11:06 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Question: what's the point of the AF/MF switch since you've already got one on the body and (I assume) quick shift to boot?
04-23-2012, 11:26 AM   #30
Veteran Member

800 is a lot for a lens for hobbyist.