Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2012, 12:11 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
The Sigma fares badly in comparison with two MF lenses,
the Voigtlaender Nokton 58/1.4 and the Zeiss Makro-Planar 50/2,
in the Photozone tests on the FF Canon EOS.
There are several lenses that are champs on APS-C, but are only middle of the road on FF. From what I've read, the Sigma 50mm 1.4 is one of them, and my beloved Tamron 28-75mm is another. Unless/until Pentax releases a FF DSLR, such comparisons are only academic.

I'm just a hobbyist (and not a rich one), but I've dropped about $3000 the last couple years in lenses. (Don't tell my wife!) I've considered the 55mm before, but I've avoided it for the following reasons (in order of priority):

1) SDM - speed/reliability concerns

2) Price compared to Sigma 50mm 1.4

3) My Pentax-F 50mm 1.7 handles my 50mm needs in a compact, inexpensive package, and produces fantastic images.

The biggest strike against the 55 for me is the SDM. If the lens was less expensive, or had a longer warranty, I might consider it.

As you can see in my signature, Sigma has earned my trust, in part because of their willingness to stand behind their lenses for four years. I've had very good experiences with Sigma, and hope to soon ad the 85mm 1.4 to my stable.

04-23-2012, 12:41 PM   #32

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To me the lens balances very well with the K5.
It's my most used
It's a joy to play with.
Had to change the first copy cause it was not good also with +10 micro AF.
The new copy is correct with a +5.

PS
DA*55 and DA*60-250 are the only lenses I bought NEW.
All the others I have buyed used (lot of people in Italy sell Pentax and all the equipment for a new Canon or Nikon...better for me!!!)
04-23-2012, 07:06 PM   #33

How do you test if the focusing is ok? I am too much of a beginner and I can't tell my focusing With this lens has any problams, but I might be wrong.
04-23-2012, 07:36 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by junototoro Quote
How do you test if the focusing is ok? I am too much of a beginner and I can't tell my focusing With this lens has any problams, but I might be wrong.
I use my camera's live view to test my regular (phase detect) auto focus. There is a link on how to do it here: AF microadjustment for the 1Ds mark III, 1D Mk3, 5D Mk2, 7D. I find that it works quite well and is a lot easier than some of the other options out there.

04-23-2012, 11:10 PM   #35
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I use my camera's live view to test my regular (phase detect) auto focus. There is a link on how to do it here: AF microadjustment for the 1Ds mark III, 1D Mk3, 5D Mk2, 7D. I find that it works quite well and is a lot easier than some of the other options out there.
I like this method as well. I had an easier time getting repeatable results than I did using a focus chart.

I had the 55 for a month before sending it back. I got some pictures I was really happy with, but struggled with focus consistency. It got a bit better after I corrected the things I was doing to make it worse, but still found the focusing unreliable. Definitely recommend looking at the DA* club thread for some fantastic images from the 55. While it is capable of capturing some of the best images I have seen on this site, be sure to test it thoroughly if you purchase one.
04-24-2012, 07:35 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by top-quark Quote
Question: what's the point of the AF/MF switch since you've already got one on the body and (I assume) quick shift to boot?
Set the AF/MF switch on the lens to MF and the camera focus to AF.S, you then can use this lens for Catch in Focus when it is enabled in the camera menu. All DA and FA lenses with AF/MF switches and MF lenses can do this.
Glenn
04-24-2012, 08:00 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by top-quark Quote
Question: what's the point of the AF/MF switch since you've already got one on the body and (I assume) quick shift to boot?
I also like this feature on all DA* lens. actually I use this AF/MF switch quite a lot. it operates much faster than use on-camera AF/MF switch

05-14-2012, 09:23 PM   #38
Pentaxian

Original Poster
This is my favorite image taken with this lens: Ferris Wheel
05-15-2012, 04:52 AM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by liukaitc Quote
800 is a lot for a lens for hobbyist.
Actually hobbyists tend to put more money on lenses than pro's do. And $800 for a piece of mechanical and optical high tech is not asking a lot. This lens will last longer than several iPhone generations. It all depends on your priorities.
05-15-2012, 04:53 AM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nibutto Quote
To me the lens balances very well with the K5.
It's my most used
It's a joy to play with.
Had to change the first copy cause it was not good also with +10 micro AF.
The new copy is correct with a +5.

PS
DA*55 and DA*60-250 are the only lenses I bought NEW.
All the others I have buyed used (lot of people in Italy sell Pentax and all the equipment for a new Canon or Nikon...better for me!!!)
It is not the lens it is the camera that probably was off.
05-15-2012, 05:20 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
It is not the lens it is the camera that probably was off.
I disagree. I have yet to come across a copy of the DA*55 that didn't require a positive AF adjustment, with the majority of them needing something in the +6/+8 range on a neutral body.
05-15-2012, 06:33 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
I disagree. I have yet to come across a copy of the DA*55 that didn't require a positive AF adjustment, with the majority of them needing something in the +6/+8 range on a neutral body.
I agree with zapp that it is the camera that is off, not the lens. I had focus issues with my K-5 with this lens and the Sigma 70-200mm HSM II. I sent the camera and the DA* 55mm to Pentax Japan for calibration. They did nothing to the lens but replaced the AF module on my K-5. My DA* 55mm with my K-5 is perfect with zero AF adjustment needed. My Sigma zoom is also spot on with my K-5, except when in LV mode. I'll have to send it in to Sigma to solve this, but that's another matter.