Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2012, 11:09 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by yorik Quote
With regards to the branches - that was my initial assessment, that the exposure was way off, especially since in other pictures
from the same sequence (that were more properly exposed. I was experimenting) I couldn't detect any PF. The light-box, on the
other hand was more troubling since the exposure as a whole didn't appear to be extremely off to me... However, I haven't
used a hand held light-meter since the early 70s, so my judgement of what constitutes borderline vs totally blown exposure is
highly suspect, to say the least.

So, with the additional information and pictures, what would you (all) conclude about the quality of the lens (or lack thereof)?

And, thank you all, by the way, for all the helpful and prompt input!
Of course it's hard to make an assessment based off of two pictures alone. I will say though that I have spent a lot of time in the woods taking poorly exposed photos with my DA35 (I spent 6 months on the Appalachian Trail with that lens). There is PF in some of them, but to my eye, is not as bad as what you've shown, even in the worst ones.

Your lens may be perfectly fine and you just happened to find the right ways to push it past its limits. My advice though, is to send it back for an exchange while you still can. Otherwise you will always wonder if your lens was the problem.

02-01-2012, 11:34 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
Your lens may be perfectly fine and you just happened to find the right ways to push it past its limits. My advice though, is to send it back for an exchange while you still can. Otherwise you will always wonder if your lens was the problem.
This is my feeling too - even if the lens is perfect, the niggling doubt will seriously cut into my enjoyment of it.

Thanks!