very close to the cage. With the barp wire, AF.C behaves funny zoom
in and out when I pan the movement of the big cat. I end up using
manual focus on those shots with movement. I love my DA 50-200 and
though I don't have very sharp pictures on this 1st photo shoot, I am
once again love my DA 50-200 to death. Someone pay me $300 and I
won't let it go

Photozone.de Pentax DA 50-200 review - Hin's Tech Corner

Few pictures out of the shooting today. I am very thrilled that the
barb wires kind of vague in those pictures.

A mistaken shot in wrong WB in tunsgten setting from previous day and
I turn a few into b&w to hide the blue in Picasa filtered b&w

though not very sharp, I am happy the barb wire fencing disappear in
the shot

I have problem panning while in MF. I should have been more patient
with preset MF point. But I quite like the panning effect

Hiding the blur in b&w and highlight and shadowing in Picasa

Panning in MF is difficult and I only get 1 in 3 that seems like a tiger

C&C welcome as I don't have the knowledge and know-how on shooting
zoo animals in a cage.

Thanks,
Hin

12-31-2007, 12:34 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice shots, H.

In AF.C you will always have problems shooting through fences, because the camera sees the wire in the focus point and focuses on the wire. Here are a couple of suggestions that might help you:
  • Turn the AF switch to AF.S
  • In the menus, turn off [AF on half press]
  • Now you use the [AF] button to focus, the shutter button for AE and shutter release only.

This allows you to focus with the [AF] button, once, and then shoot normally. You can tweak the focus with the focus ring if needed.
01-02-2008, 01:28 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thank you for the tips.

There are barb wire serving as the fence in between me and the big cat. I make several mistakes that make the shot not as good especially on the composition in cutting the paws and ears. Story and excuses behind my 1st shooting with the big lovely cat.

My composition was off in a rush that day as when the tiger approaches and there were two tigers with the younger one circling around a less active one who stands up and later lay down on the floor. I got way excited and forgot all the composition in many of shots. That is something a bad practice for me as amateur who got way excited on shooting. Quality is way better than quantity -- I need to learn my lessons.

The worse happened when my two boys asked to see the bob cat that they got interested from last visit. I was screaming from the bottom of my hear and lungs with 'what is wrong with you guys' and they disappear with my wife chasing after them for the bob cat cage and I committed the father's guilt in staying behind for the big cats. While I took those not properly composed shots, my wife called me in the cell phone while I was doing AF.C, AF.S and manual focusing with the moving cats as the AF.C and half press get caught up with the barb wires, when my half press goes with cat moves along the move, the AF zoom in and out across the barb wire sensing by the AF sensor middle point. AF.C is pehaps not good in that scene with barb wire in between me and the tiger.

I am perhaps giving excuses for the poor composition and that is the really story behind. And the kids and daddy next to me heard me saying 'why the bob cat, why the small bob cat, what is wrong with my boys going for the bob cat.' Long story short, I was very distracted in the shoot and I got very frustrated as well as I need to rush to catch my boys on their way to the bob cat, and everyone heard me saying 'why the bob cat!' and even the tigers turn his head on me -- the b&w shot post.

Warmest in the new year,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 01-04-2008 at 12:52 AM.
01-02-2008, 01:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Now you just need to get a polarizing filter on there to cut out the reflections in the first shots. Nicely done, I like them.

ETA: Oh, I didn't realize that was the fence I was seeing, disregard my comment.

Last edited by travis_cooper; 01-02-2008 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Added
01-02-2008, 04:45 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by travis_cooper Quote
Now you just need to get a polarizing filter on there to cut out the reflections in the first shots. Nicely done, I like them.

ETA: Oh, I didn't realize that was the fence I was seeing, disregard my comment.
Many members in other forums find the vague and fuzzy barb wire in the fence distracting to the tiger pictures. The fence is unfortunate but I have to risk my life to get inside the cage, otherwise. And I hope I don't need to do that to get a good picture of the big cat. I for one find it exciting to use shallow depth of field to make the fence obscure. But the various composition mistakes are unfortunate in those pictures that could have done better if I am given a 2nd chance to see the big cat so close to the fence.

Thanks,
Hin
01-02-2008, 06:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Those images look damned impressive to me.I love the barbed wire blown out effect. Almost looks like it was shot with a "Mirror" lens..

Love it!

Ben
01-02-2008, 06:33 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Big thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Those images look damned impressive to me.I love the barbed wire blown out effect. Almost looks like it was shot with a "Mirror" lens..

Love it!

Ben
Ben, you have made my day. Your comments would just encourage me to buy more gear. I am nuts with photos. There was a moment that I wish the fence is gone and I was not rationalizing myself when the two big cats all in a sudden approaches my corner circling around very close to the fence.

I told my boys that they are not bob cats when they do show up and yes when the two cats show up close to the cage, my boys already ran away chanting 'Dad, I want to see the bob cat.' What is wrong with my boys, they love the small bob cat that is about 20 times less in size than the tiger. And later when I show them the pictures later on, they still favor the bob cats. I fail them just as much as I fail them before with many pictures on model trains and other interest of mine in fresh water aquarium. My boys and my wife are my toughest clients to please and that doesn't seem to go any easier in 2008 than any of the previous years. They keep me challenged all year long which is good in photography, my 10th month into dSLR from p&s.

May I wish you and others the best in 2008 in photography both in business and in your passion for upping another notch into creativity, individual love of art and sharing of one's experience, knowledge and joy with others.

Warmest,
Hin
01-03-2008, 09:53 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Composition

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
Ben, you have made my day. Your comments would just encourage me to buy more gear. I am nuts with photos. There was a moment that I wish the fence is gone and I was not rationalizing myself when the two big cats all in a sudden approaches my corner circling around very close to the fence.

I told my boys that they are not bob cats when they do show up and yes when the two cats show up close to the cage, my boys already ran away chanting 'Dad, I want to see the bob cat.' What is wrong with my boys, they love the small bob cat that is about 20 times less in size than the tiger. And later when I show them the pictures later on, they still favor the bob cats. I fail them just as much as I fail them before with many pictures on model trains and other interest of mine in fresh water aquarium. My boys and my wife are my toughest clients to please and that doesn't seem to go any easier in 2008 than any of the previous years. They keep me challenged all year long which is good in photography, my 10th month into dSLR from p&s.

May I wish you and others the best in 2008 in photography both in business and in your passion for upping another notch into creativity, individual love of art and sharing of one's experience, knowledge and joy with others.

Warmest,
Hin
Hello Hin;

It is obvious from these images that you have a natural grasp of composition. The only reason I would get another lens is if what you have limits you from capturing something that you could have photographed with a faster or wider or longer focal length.

I'm pleased that you were able to make the best of these images under less that ideal circumstances.

Take Care
Ben

01-03-2008, 07:05 PM   #9
Veteran Member

So umm...where are the bobcat photos?!
01-03-2008, 07:19 PM   #10

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great first Tiger shots

Hin,

Considering these were shot behind a big fence, I think the photos are really excellent with great focus and contrast.
01-03-2008, 09:04 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Not the Bob Cat -- I have grudges agains that bob cat

Thank you all for the very kind comments. And I am still very mad with that silly bob cat that my older boy love. If I have to take a shot on the bob cat, I will mug him with my bare hands for revenge. Because of the bob cats, I lost the paws and ear in some of the critical shots of the big cat.

Thanks,
Hin