Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2012, 05:54 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Squaretrade Warranties... any good?

Hi. Could anyone tell me if these warranties are worthwhile going for. Ive just purchased a DA* 50-135 used from ebay and now have the option to add one of these warranties. They seem to have good reports generally but ive not seen too much reports in regards to lenses never mind Pentax lenses of their usefulness. If anyone has had one and used it i would much appreciate your opinion. Cheers, Garbhán.

02-01-2012, 08:55 PM   #2
krp
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sorry I have no experience but I found it funny when ebay emailed me a warranty offer for my latest purchase: a $1.94 lens cap.
02-01-2012, 08:58 PM   #3
Pentaxian

They're useful items, but I probably wouldn't worry about it for a lens. Lenses tend to be fairly sturdy items that don't fail very often (ignoring the SDM issue of the 50-135 and 16-50).

If I were buying a used camera body, I still probably wouldn't worry about an extended warranty. Consumer Reports tracks these types of things, and they state that DSLRs and accessories are among the most reliable consumer electronics on the market today.

You will always hear stories of people who's warranty saved their bacon, but for that one person there are perhaps 10 or so that never benefited from purchasing it. It's a game of roulette. Just know Squaretrade wouldn't be offering the warranty if they didn't think it would end up well for them.

When I bought my 27" iMac in 2010, I did purchase AppleCare for it. But I did it knowing that if anything went wrong, I wouldn't have to pay more money to fix it, since I intend to keep the computer for many years. It's peace of mind for me. I didn't purchase a warranty for my K-5 or any of my lenses, since they tend to be robust. That's why Tamron, for example, includes a 6 year warranty.
02-02-2012, 02:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brofkand Quote
They're useful items, but I probably wouldn't worry about it for a lens. Lenses tend to be fairly sturdy items that don't fail very often (ignoring the SDM issue of the 50-135 and 16-50).

If I were buying a used camera body, I still probably wouldn't worry about an extended warranty. Consumer Reports tracks these types of things, and they state that DSLRs and accessories are among the most reliable consumer electronics on the market today.

You will always hear stories of people who's warranty saved their bacon, but for that one person there are perhaps 10 or so that never benefited from purchasing it. It's a game of roulette. Just know Squaretrade wouldn't be offering the warranty if they didn't think it would end up well for them.

When I bought my 27" iMac in 2010, I did purchase AppleCare for it. But I did it knowing that if anything went wrong, I wouldn't have to pay more money to fix it, since I intend to keep the computer for many years. It's peace of mind for me. I didn't purchase a warranty for my K-5 or any of my lenses, since they tend to be robust. That's why Tamron, for example, includes a 6 year warranty.
Thanks for that though the SDM issue is exactly what i had in mind when i was considering taking it out... I think i might just take it just in case it packs up on me. Thanks!