Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-05-2013, 04:07 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sigma 85mm any day. Faster focus, better optically - sharp and much better CA control.

I agree about size though, FA77 is easier to carry.

04-05-2013, 07:04 AM   #32
Pentaxian

I have the Pentax 70mm F 2.4 Limited. A great lens....a little slower and a little less telephoto.
04-05-2013, 07:07 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I have the Pentax 70mm F 2.4 Limited. A great lens....a little slower and a little less telephoto.
I already have the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 and Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8, so the 70mm 2.4 wouldn't do much more for me.
04-05-2013, 07:31 AM   #34

Original Poster
Sigma 85mm for kids basketball

I hope I am sending this response back out correctly...but I ended up returning the Sigma 85mm after using it once for my kids 4/5th grade basketball games. I found that since I was able to freely roam the baseline and sidelines I really did not need the extra length of an 85mm lens. I ended up using the Pentax 55mm/1.4. The shorter focal length gave me a wider focusing range when shooting wide open at f/1.4. My success rate of "pin sharply focused" images went up dramatically with the 55mm...and I would just crop the image if i wanted to "get in closer".

Attached Images

04-05-2013, 08:06 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Thanks for responding (and providing closure!) I could see where 85mm would be too long if you were right on the sidelines of the basketball court, but I think that for getting full-body shots at ballet recitals and gymnastic meets, that won't normally be a problem since I'll generally be shooting from the audience/spectator area. If I do get closer, I can always switch to my Sigma 30mm 1.4 or Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8.

I also think that the thin focal plane of 85mm f1.4 will be more usable with ballet and gymnastics since the subjects will be confining themselves to a smaller area and their movements will be more scripted and predictable than basketball players.