Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2012, 11:45 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Why do you dream about the lenses you dream about?

We have many threads here that basically ask WHAT LENS DO YOU WANT NEXT? aka WHAT IS/ARE YOUR DREAM LENS(ES)? We all have our dreams, eh? But let's think about WHY we're hot for certain glass. Do we want blazing speed, edge-to-edge flatfield sharpness, dreamy romantic glow, interesting / bad character, extremely long or short focal lengths, or what?

I'll start. I'm still trying to fill-out my ultralight minikit. I have some prospects, mostly very hard to find. But what I *dream* of is something like a 70g 24mm faster than f/8. It can be in M42, M39, PK, OM, C/Y, Nikon, Exakta, Argus -- I can use or mod any of those mounts. And why? Because IMHO such a lightweight kit is a worthy goal. It punches my buttons.

I have other dreams, for weird old lenses with unique renderings. Why? Because I like capturing images with a 'period' look, as of the early days of photography.

OK, now it's your turn. Why do you dream your dreams?

02-02-2012, 12:17 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A light AF telephoto thats sharp and won't require a painkiller at the end of a day carrying it. My 500mm mirror is light enough but the IQ leaves much to be desired and of course is MF. Has an AF mirror lens ever been made? I don't think it exists but we're talking about dreams, right?
02-02-2012, 08:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well, considering I'm wanting to do portrait photography and really get into that, the 35/2.4 and 77 limited have been my 2 dream lenses. I just bought a ST55/1.8 so I figured I'd hold off on the 50/1.4 for a while. But... the sharpness and focal length of the 77 for outdoor shooting makes me drool. And the speed and IQ of the 35 for its price makes it a no brainer to add to my kit. Just need to somehow come up with the ~$900 for the 2 of them!
02-02-2012, 02:08 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
A light AFtelephoto thats sharp and won't require a painkiller at the end of a day carrying it
That's pretty close to my dream as well, although I want the lower weight for the lower cost, not necessarily to save my back. A slow (f5.6 to f6.3) 500 to 600mm prime that's as sharp as the pro superteles but priced under $2,000 -- that would come close to a dream lens for me.

I also dream of sharper but slow zoom lens, particularly 28mm and above. I'm fairly pleased with the DA 16-45, but even that lens tends to lose a bit resolution on the far end, and there's really not much beyond that which is tailor-made for landscape use -- i.e., sharp border to border at f8, light, and fairly consistent throughout most if not all of its focal range. The real fine lenses are big, heavy, and expensive, or they are cheaper and inconsistent, good at some focal lengths, not so good at others. I use zooms almost exclusively for landscape photography, so I have absolutely zero interest in "fast" f2.8 zooms (f2.8 isn't all that "fast," in any case). Yet it's precisely the fast zooms, like the FA* 28-70, that tend to be the most consistent, in terms of edge to edge sharpness (stopped down, of course) at all focal lengths. The major exception, at least among AF glass, that I've run across is the old F 35-70. But that lens has a rather restrictive range. Something with more range and perhaps a bit sharper would constitute a dream lens of sorts for me.

02-02-2012, 02:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The only lens I really dream about is the 55-300 AF. It's faster and a lot better than anything I own currently and I use a 300MM all the time so I'd love to have a really good one. There are a couple of Takumars that if I ran across them at Goodwill I wouldn't be sorry to see but mostly that's it. That's the last major lens I really want for my kit. In reality I actually figure I'll probably get it about the same time I can afford a K5, which is likely probably never, but hey it's legal to dream...;P
02-02-2012, 02:18 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A K-mount tilt/shift lens with the IQ of the Schneider and the price tag of the Lensbaby.
02-02-2012, 02:18 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In my case I wanmted them earlier in my life and couldn't $ have them. Now I can at least buy, try and sell (if desired) them. Over time I have acquired some keepers so I'm dreaming about fewer and using more.