Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2012, 11:17 AM   #211
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
SDM to be specific does that mean it won't work with will it screw mount lenses?
That's an interesting question. I wouldn't be surprised if it's SDM (and DC) only. The converter will probably be designed primarily to work with the DA* teles.

Also keep in mind: I doubt this converter will run much cheaper than the Nikon or Canon converters, so we're looking at +$400 price tag. If you want to double your screw-drive lenses, in many instances you may be better off just buying a longer lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Just noticed the DA 16-45 is a no-show.
That's not surprising. Pentax no longer offers it in Japan and it looks like its days are numbered elsewhere.

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
They had a 24-350 filed, I think
It was a 35-350.

There was also a patent for a 12-35, but it looks like we're going to get something around 12-28 instead. If so, I suspect the days are numbered for the DA 12-24 as well.

02-03-2012, 11:28 AM   #212
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lightbulb Quote
If mirrorless is what the market wants, they could consider a EVF k5 version to have the wr and good video function. It makes more sense than a K-01 given the almost same bulkiness.
I agree, but this camera seems like it's a half-way point.. I'm sure the cost of adding weather sealing to this unit wouldn't have been much in the terms of money or size of body... but maybe that's whats coming down the pipe at CP+. Now that they are showing they have the they have the tech ready for launch, it's now about adding the bells and whistles.. from there it can be swapping out the APS-C to an APS-H or FF sensor.. of course that would probably lead to larger body..
Regardless, I'm interested in seeing the UWA 12-35mm and the 550mm come to market.. and the DA*20-80 is a much needed lens, how many people absolutely love their Tamron 28-75.. a range where Pentax isn't competing in for zooms!
02-03-2012, 11:45 AM   #213
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Roadmaps can and do change - new items are added old items go out of production, planned items turn out to not cost viably.... i think some of the roadmap is fromold ideas getting new attention, others are a general response to a need they acknowledge (ie the long glass)

Certainly if there are FF plans I would imagine the lenses planned wouldn't show until a later roadmap close to release of the body with at least the 24-70 ff lens (and maybe a 70-200 2.8) dropping at the same time as the body without having been on the roadmap (like the 40xs dropped with the K-01 and the q lenses with the Q)
no point after all in giving away future marketing plans for cameras. once a ff is announce then the Ff lenses will hit the roadmap as well

As for the FA ltds don't work on digital FF i think it's a fallacy (and Ned would have been bsing to cover the no FF camera direction). There is not a chance an FA 31 vignetted on ff any more than it does on film,the image circle requirements are the same. the idea that film lenses don't perform as well on digital ff does have some validity as there is no rear coating so reflections off the rear element are a real issue. Cheap FF primes and zooms may well perform poorly on FF but they did on film as well. the best lenses though if updated for digital with rear coatings would still be top performers and even without will still perform very well
When Mamiya moved to digital a lot of users found performance issues related to the rear coatings on their old glass which spurred development of updated for digital versions.
I imagine even a lot of the excellent 645 lenses from Pentax would also benefit from the same updating process (they perform well now but may just get that extra bit of sharpness from an update)
I agree with you on everything

My point was just that Ricoh probably had nothing to do at all with this roadmap exept letting us se it. I think there will be big changes to it. We'll just have to wait and se.

Thinking FF... my primes do work very well on film at least, the 43 is just amazing to shot fullframe with. And my wild guess would be that they will be just fine on digital FF to
02-03-2012, 11:54 AM   #214
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by the swede Quote

Thinking FF... my primes do work very well on film at least, the 43 is just amazing to shot fullframe with. And my wild guess would be that they will be just fine on digital FF to
I think the comments from Ned (made for whatever reason) were erroneous. the only FF with this issue on wide lenses i know of is the m mount leica and the gxr mountor. It has more to do with the mount registration distance causing the problem since the angle of light hitting the sensor is more extreme due to the short distance involved film was more forgiving than digital (for rear reflections as well since the film surface wasn't reflective like a sensor is)

Certainly for the performance of all the old lenses out there like the taks forward there are examples of hem shot on FF (usually Canon due to the shorter registration distance) People have even shed the mirrors on the 5D to make them work with lenses.
One thing that will be noticeable is lenses that have good edge to edge sharpness on our aps-c bodies may well be softer towards the edge on FF Particularly anything that is less than * lens quality. My M 28 3.5 is razor sharp at 5.6+ edge to edge, I doubt it will be that good on FF - but it only cost $13 so I really can't bitch too much

02-03-2012, 11:59 AM   #215
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Thanks for the link.
Looked to be some vignetting of the sky on some of the portraits,
and PF on the leaves in Nos. 12 and 14.
The leaves on the left of No. 11 came out ugly,
and I thought a lot of the bokeh was washed out.
YMMV, but I wasn't impressed,
even allowing for the wide aperture used.
I don't know how much of the poorer IQ
would be from a lack of telecentricity, if any.
I saw some vignetting, but only on FA 31mm photos. There's an interesting statement translated from the Japanese post: "Pentax FA Limited lens attached to the 5D has more purple fringing than the K10 or K100d a lot. I don't have the K20D so I can make an opinion<---I don't know if purple fringing is the right translated word."
02-03-2012, 01:10 PM   #216

Surprisingly, the DA 1.4x converter has drop the SDM.

As road-mapped for 2013 or later, it could change and even vanish...
02-03-2012, 02:19 PM   #217

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Is it possible for a mirrorless 645 to become the defacto Pentax FF?
Yes!

My stock answer to "Why does Pentax not have a FF?" is, look at the 645.
02-03-2012, 02:24 PM   #218
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sandilands Quote
Yes!

My stock answer to "Why does Pentax not have a FF?" is, look at the 645.
The 645D is more specialized than a full frame camera, and much more expensive. Have you read the review Adam put together on this site? It would be very easy for Pentax to throw a full frame sensor into the K-01 style body, on the cheap. It would be something the industry has never had, a cheap full frame camera. The only problem there is their dedication to the DA series lenses. Though I think making a full frame version of the K-01 would end up with them selling a ton of FA limiteds.

02-03-2012, 02:35 PM   #219
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
I remember Ned B blogging that the FA limiteds wouldn't work on a FF DSLR.
What he wrote (from memory) was that they might need to be improved to get the most out of them on digital FF. Personally, I don't see it. They are the best possible lenses on APS-C and the best possible lenses on film FF. They're not suddenly going to become useless and lose all their charm on digital FF. In fact, don't people adapt them and use them this way with other brands?

But you have to factor in the Ned makes money by selling new product.

EDIT: Just read Eddie's post which said much the same.
02-03-2012, 02:36 PM   #220
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
The 645D is more specialized than a full frame camera, and much more expensive. Have you read the review Adam put together on this site? It would be very easy for Pentax to throw a full frame sensor into the K-01 style body, on the cheap. It would be something the industry has never had, a cheap full frame camera. The only problem there is their dedication to the DA series lenses. Though I think making a full frame version of the K-01 would end up with them selling a ton of FA limiteds.
You don't sell a "ton" of lenses priced like the FA Ltd.'s.

It's not "easy" to throw an expensive sensor that only Sony supplies.

The industry has had a "cheap" FF in the Sony A850. It was pulled less than a year into its run because it cold not compete with the $700 more expensive Nikon D700.

Pro level zooms make an FF system in part because the body will push a very high price at over $2,000 at least.
02-03-2012, 02:47 PM   #221
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I saw some vignetting, but only on FA 31mm photos.

My comments were specifically on the FA31 photos,
as that was the lens under discussion.

Telecentricity shouldn't be an issue on the longer Limiteds.
02-03-2012, 02:49 PM   #222
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
You don't sell a "ton" of lenses priced like the FA Ltd.'s.

It's not "easy" to throw an expensive sensor that only Sony supplies.

The industry has had a "cheap" FF in the Sony A850. It was pulled less than a year into its run because it cold not compete with the $700 more expensive Nikon D700.

Pro level zooms make an FF system in part because the body will push a very high price at over $2,000 at least.
Eliminating the mirror and the OVF, freeing up all that space and complexity. The way people go on and on about FF on this site, I think Pentax would have a riot on their hands come pre-order time. I Imagine this camera would also be much cheaper than even the Sony A850. $1500 for a full frame sensor platform basically. That premium over the k-01 would likely cover the sensor price difference. It wouldn't be a perfect system, but I think it would satisfy a lot of people here. It wouldn't be a pro system, and I don't think it will happen. I certainly would pay $1500 and buy one limited prime and then buy the other two over the next two years, many have a much higher budget than me.
02-03-2012, 03:11 PM   #223
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
the film surface wasn't reflective like a sensor is
The LX judges exposure in real time by the light reflected off the film surface.
At best, film is less reflective than a sensor (or the AA filter).
02-03-2012, 03:26 PM   #224
Pentaxian

Only a few weeks ago I stumbled upon a thread where everyone was predicting and wishing for a FF from Pentax. All the same arguments ensued. After reading some of the posts it twigged that this was not a current thread (some of the tech mentioned is now out of date). It turned out this thread was in 2008. It's probably a more rewarding exercise to talk about something else I feel.
02-03-2012, 03:54 PM   #225

QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
Dude, APS-C DSLR time is already over. No FF ≡ Death.
Hmmm. Don't think so. APS-C will remain the sweet spot for some time to come. There is still plenty of room for pixel density devlopment and a substantial under depreciated industry investment in the APS-C form factor.

Back to lenses, doubtful the green dot DA normal lens happening to fall at 50mm is at all an indicator of a future FF body. I still call my old 50 a "normal" lens even though it isn't on my K7. As far as any speculation that this roadmap says anything more than what it actually says (a commitment to DA) is just wishful thinking for FF fanciers. More likely this is a low price market filler 50 f/~2 that won't cannibalize the 55 f/1.4

I'd like to think the high magnification DA is a pro zoom f/2.8. The DA 18-135 f/3.5-f/5.6 is a fine walkabout so this new lens really isn't needed there (well maybe extending it to 270 would be nice). Unfortunately I can't see a pro zoom (18 - 200+) being positioned alongside the 16-50 + 50-135 combination. Something has to go from this space.

The 550mm is an interesting and long overdue gap filler and speaks volumes to me that the K mount is here for at least another generation or two. Phew!

I notice the "or Later" tag and the asterisk beside 2013 on the roadmap. Other than the teleconverter I think Pentax is saying it'll be doing something for 2013, but it is holding its cards very tight. All of the green and yellow bars in 2013 are just to keep us drooling.