Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2012, 11:02 PM   #241
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Eff Eff !

QuoteOriginally posted by the swede Quote
Was thinking.... not my best feature, to think.... but i thought...

In 2013, if looking at the radmap, we will have a whole lot of normal zooms designated DA.

DA 18-55
DA 17-70 (no sign of being disc?)
DA 18-135
DA* 16-50
DA "High magnification lens"
DA* "Zoom"
DA "Wide zoom"
DA "Zoom limited"

now.... Either Pentax are going for the top at having most APS-C zooms in the market, or......

well.... lets just wait and se how the will name that fifty

Odd that we have a 50mm in there, at all, no? And what the heck is up with that 'Limited zoom' that looks so much like something close to 20-35mm?

DA != DA? I guess anything can change on a tea-leaves roadmap like that, huh?

02-04-2012, 11:12 PM   #242
Veteran Member

Maybe Ricoh decided DA should mean Digital (controlled) Aperture (ie lenses with no aperture rings) lol so can be FF or cropped.
02-04-2012, 11:14 PM   #243
Veteran Member

I agree, so does the designation.. the DA*55 is FF, as are others.. so DA means very little.. but DFA would definitely show that it was a FF glass with digital optics coatings for flare/PF control.
02-04-2012, 11:22 PM   #244
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Odd that we have a 50mm in there, at all, no? And what the heck is up with that 'Limited zoom' that looks so much like something close to 20-35mm?

DA != DA? I guess anything can change on a tea-leaves roadmap like that, huh?

i just cant see the "must do" of the 50 and it being a DA...
i would prefer it being named D-FA...

I have no freaking idea about that DA Zoom Limited, its just.... very strange... could be APS-C to give the DA Limited collectors a nice litle zoom between DA 21 and DA 35/DA 40... but... bah... i dont know.
Just dont see the necessity in it at all, even if it would turn out to be a D-FA.

You are right Jay... anything can change

02-05-2012, 12:17 AM   #245

DA (*)135 f/2.8 ?

Is not there a single believer left? Who still think that in the 14-55mm range it is easier to name the mm's where you have no coverage by at least a prime and two zooms, while in 77-200 range there is no candid portrait prime, e.g. the 135mm, a lens I used to use sooo much.

But it is only two years + 1 year delay from now and a new roadmap will be released. If Pentax survives so much, lack of a 135 prime on the roadmap indicates a clear error of judgement.

I pray for you, Pentax for enlightenment, for coming out with a new 135.

David
02-05-2012, 12:37 AM   #246
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
.Odd that we have a 50mm in there, at all, no? .
Not so odd. There's endless carping about the lack of a cheap fast fifty on DPR.

QuoteOriginally posted by dieda Quote
Is not there a single believer left? Who still think that in the 14-55mm range it is easier to name the mm's where you have no coverage by at least a prime and two zooms, while in 77-200 range there is no candid portrait prime, e.g. the 135mm, a lens I used to use sooo much.

But it is only two years + 1 year delay from now and a new roadmap will be released. If Pentax survives so much, lack of a 135 prime on the roadmap indicates a clear error of judgement.

I pray for you, Pentax for enlightenment, for coming out with a new 135.

David
I don't see the need for a 135mm with APS-C. It's too long for portraits (since when was 200mm "portrait length" on 35mm cameras?), and not long enough for most telephoto uses. Personally, 135mm is a focal length I can do without. I have one, but I always carry my D FA 100mm instead.

Was the 135mm lens you used to use so much on a film camera? If so, then you should be looking at 85-100mm with a Pentax DSLR.

Last edited by audiobomber; 02-05-2012 at 05:43 AM.
02-05-2012, 02:18 AM   #247

Short tele for candids: 135 as a portrait lens

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I don't see the need for a 135mm with APS-C. It's too long for portraits (since when was 200mm portrait length on 35mm cameras?), and not long enough for most telephoto uses. Personally, 135mm is a focal length I can do without. I have one, but I always carry my D FA 100mm instead.
Well, now you have an excellent opportunity to sell that lens to me! (In case it is AF).

I just find myself stopping at portraits when browsing through my pics always when it was taken with my F135. And I used the DA70 and the FA 50/1.4 a lot. Of course I am talking about candid head shots where the subject will not notice you from the corner of the eye but you are still close to see every facial gesture clearly. If you take the DA*200, then I felt I was just to far away for being in a human distance, I find that focal length a bit odd for APS-C.

David

Not so odd. There's endless carping about the lack of a cheap fast fifty on DPR.

I don't see the need for a 135mm with APS-C. It's too long for portraits (since when was 200mm portrait length on 35mm cameras?), and not long enough for most telephoto uses. Personally, 135mm is a focal length I can do without. I have one, but I always carry my D FA 100mm instead.

Was the 135mm lens you used to use so much on a film camera? If so, then you should be looking at 85-100mm with a Pentax DSLR.

02-05-2012, 03:01 AM   #248
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums

new 40 XS at K-5...
02-05-2012, 03:37 AM   #249
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by oddesy Quote
While the K-01 was released today (looking quite interesting although not a buy for me) I was more excited by the lens roadmap..... its up on pentax site!

Pentax Lens Roadmap for 2012-2013 - Pentax Camera News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com
http://www.pentaximaging.com/files/pdf/lens_roadmap.pdf

Anyone have any ideas on the DA Telephoto lens in the 550mm range? VERY exciting stuff this is exactly what I was hoping for!

Only thing is it is DA and not DA*?? Does this mean it will not be weather sealed or not be a fast lens and maybe F5.6??

Opinions please
Am I reading this wrong? This lens map tells nothing. It is totally vague.
02-05-2012, 03:54 AM   #250
Veteran Member

Whats vague about it? it shows the lenses they are planning to release on the year they are hoping to release it
02-05-2012, 07:07 AM   #251
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Hardly anyone buy prime lenses in this range anymore. The Limited zoom will probably cover this range...
I was going to post how wrong this is, but others have done it for me.

The only thing to add is that if you are going to sell a single lens with a mirrorless camera, as manufacturers like Fuji have done, then these are almost always in the range I specified, since this has proven to be by far the most useful field of view since time immemorial.

When Pentax were smart they cemented this with the perfect 43mm normal.

Now they try to sell people on the 60mm FOV.
02-05-2012, 07:13 AM   #252
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dieda Quote
You need to think in terms of equivalent field of view, since that is how Pentax thinks. Anyway, the DA* 50-135mm already meets this need (whether thinking equivalence or not). On the shorter side, the FA77 Limited is a perfect solution. It's already quite a long telephoto for portrait use, though equivalent to 105mm, not the 135mm you are looking for.
02-05-2012, 07:23 AM   #253
Veteran Member

But I thought all those folks were "stupid", and Pentax wouldn't listen to them anyway?

So, either 1) they weren't stupid after all for wanting an economical fast-50 on aps-c, or 2) there is a FF body (in some form or another) with some pending release date.

Huh.

QuoteQuote:
I don't see the need for a 135mm with APS-C.
I do. I've been wishing for a 135mm Limited since early 2008. A very small, f/2.8 or faster prime alternative to what now is only satisfied by the very large 50-135 2.8 zoom.

QuoteQuote:
It's too long for portraits (since when was 200mm "portrait length" on 35mm cameras?), and not long enough for most telephoto uses. Personally, 135mm is a focal length I can do without. I have one, but I always carry my D FA 100mm instead.
A lot of folks think the 77 is a silly FL for aps-c. I disagree there as well. Almost any focal length can be useful, and as long as great optics are involved, very fun to use.

Last edited by jsherman999; 02-05-2012 at 08:04 AM.
02-05-2012, 07:53 AM   #254
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by the swede Quote
I have no freaking idea about that DA Zoom Limited, its just.... very strange... could be APS-C to give the DA Limited collectors a nice litle zoom between DA 21 and DA 35/DA 40... but... bah... i dont know.
Just dont see the necessity in it at all, even if it would turn out to be a D-FA.
Like I posted earlier in this thread,
I would expect it to be a rework of the FA 20-35/4,
which has been on the market recently.

Looking at a roadmap like this, it is useful to bear in mind
that Pentax's design resources are limited (excuse the pun!).
So don't expect to see many totally new designs.
Instead, ask where each announced lens could have come from.
Expect a new design only if there's no likely ancestor.
02-05-2012, 08:02 AM   #255
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Like I posted earlier in this thread,
I would expect it to be a rework of the FA 20-35/4,
which has been on the market recently.
Bingo.

By the way, what format was that lens most useful on?