Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2012, 05:09 AM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
Hence my initial confusion
But more to the point Pentax did not say "We expect a larger series of XS lenses to become available in the near future; these lenses will be extra-compact and are said to only function with the K-01.", Adam said it.

The only place I can find that quote is in Adam's initial write-up. Pentax has said nothing about any further XS lenses and none are listed on the roadmap released yesterday.

Pentax K-01 Officially Announced - Pentax Camera News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com

02-03-2012, 05:54 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hence my initial confusion
Ditto. Some act as if you've made things up when it's merely the lack of clarity from Pentax. Are we certain yet that it works on other cameras besides the K-01? At this point I think I'll wait to see field test reports.
02-03-2012, 06:16 AM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Ditto. Some act as if you've made things up when it's merely the lack of clarity from Pentax. Are we certain yet that it works on other cameras besides the K-01? At this point I think I'll wait to see field test reports.
To be honest, I'm not losing sleep over it one way or another; at some point there will be a definitive answer. All things equal it would be nice if the XS series worked on previous (and future) DSLR bodies. However, if the design is such that they are optomized for the mirrorless bodies (and on those mirrorless bodies they work well), then the trade-off of giving up the ability to use them on a DSLR might be perfectly acceptable.
02-03-2012, 12:05 PM   #49
Forum Member

I think it will work on DSLR bodies, specially after watching pictures like these where you can see that the lens do not projects far into the body and it has a all the traditional pins and screw for the AF system:

that's what i see in these pictures.

02-03-2012, 12:47 PM   #50
Veteran Member

To be honest, I'm not losing sleep over it one way or another; at some point there will be a definitive answer. All things equal it would be nice if the XS series worked on previous (and future) DSLR bodies. However, if the design is such that they are optomized for the mirrorless bodies (and on those mirrorless bodies they work well), then the trade-off of giving up the ability to use them on a DSLR might be perfectly acceptable.
Agreed. I've been saying for output and actual user experiences in a lot of K-01 threads. There's just too much speculation at this stage on too many factors.
02-03-2012, 06:18 PM   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by debasercl Quote
I think it will work on DSLR bodies, specially after watching pictures like these where you can see that the lens do not projects far into the body.
The lens may not be focused at infinity in those pictures.
However, the DA40 moves less than 5mm
between infinity and closest focus (40cm),
while the mirror clearance is around 12mm
to the back of the K mount on APS-C,
so indeed there shouldn't be a fouling problem.
But I assume no responsibility if it turns out that there is:
You try it at your own risk.
02-04-2012, 06:49 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Post in the k-01 forums pretty much confirms this lens works with a k-5. I might wait til the price drops to around high $190s to buy it It's worth having just purely for the novelty of it

02-04-2012, 07:52 AM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Verglace Quote
Post in the k-01 forums pretty much confirms this lens works with a k-5. I might wait til the price drops to around high $190s to buy it It's worth having just purely for the novelty of it
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-01-forum/174006-latest-photos-k-...ml#post1808906

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-01-forum/174006-latest-photos-k-...ml#post1808929

Seems like a solid vote of Yes from one of the only people to have taken one out for a spin!

And here is a response to how the 40XS works compared to the 40 Ltd
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-01-forum/174006-latest-photos-k-...ml#post1808972

EDIT:

We have a more comprehensive and definitive statement about the 40XS working on the K-5/K-x/K-r in the Singapore Users Group outing yesterday, it the bottom line is that they say it works just fine on all those bodies:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-01-forum/174006-latest-photos-k-...ml#post1809172

Last edited by Docrwm; 02-04-2012 at 09:35 AM.
02-04-2012, 10:35 AM   #54
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think the curvy aperture blades are cool. Does anyone think that will make a noticeable difference to the DA40?
02-05-2012, 04:14 AM   #55
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by sewebster Quote
Anyone figured out the differences? Obviously the XS is somewhat smaller... Maybe I missed discussion of this somewhere. And of course I realize that likely it's speculation. Maybe this should be in the rumour forum, but the lens is "real."
The users from Pentax Singapore say that DA40XS is a bit better than DA40.
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/pentax/1041122-pentax-january-outing-photos-s...o-shots-2.html
02-05-2012, 12:16 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Well, here's a question: Is it possible that the new DA 40 XS will focus more quickly than the DA 40 Limited on the K-01 body... simply because it is lighter? While the latest Olympus micro four-thirds cameras do focus faster than the older models - sometimes by quite a margin - they focus fastest with the latest 14-42 kit lenses versus the older kit zooms. And their isn't much difference between the different generations of Oly's kit zooms other than weight. Just thinking out loud... what say ye?

Last edited by Biro; 02-05-2012 at 12:45 PM.
02-05-2012, 12:36 PM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gp1806 Quote
I think the curvy aperture blades are cool. Does anyone think that will make a noticeable difference to the DA40?
The highlights will look more round in the blur but the smoothness or apperance of the blur itself stays the same.
Just compare DFA100 macro versions, the normal one has normal blades and the WR version has curved ones.
It's the elements of the lens that shape the bokeh not the aperture blades.
02-05-2012, 05:16 PM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pistik100d Quote
XS is only for K-01. I guess that XS lens will perform well only with using the opcodes (software correction) not available backwards. This would explain also the very thin design as well. Instead of additional glass to correct distortion software will do this job. I just guess it but maybe I am wrong.
this is not true. the 40xs lens works on K5/Kr/Kx just fine, AF on K-01 is slightly faster than the 40 Ltd, about the same on other cameras. Optically it's really good, sharp w very nice bokeh rendering:

QuoteOriginally posted by edutilos- Quote
I'm definitely getting this lens, unless the optical performance is bad. Any test shots?
I used the lens quite abit, have to say it's a joy to use. Optically it's probably as good if not better than the original 40 Ltd. Here are a few quick snaps from today:

02-05-2012, 05:29 PM   #59
Veteran Member

I heard Pentax Japan will start to sell some silver K5 bundled together w this slimmer 40 (also in silver) by the end of this month, price might be very attractive.

02-05-2012, 05:37 PM   #60
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If the 40XS has better IQ than the DA40, that is quite an accomplishment.