Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-05-2012, 05:53 PM   #61
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Is this lens going to present another unique lens cap issue for a Pentax lens?

That looks like a screw in 27mm lens cap to me.
That is a unique and new press on lens cap according to Pentax UK specifications I read this morning.

02-05-2012, 06:48 PM - 1 Like   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
On a side note: has anyone else wondered why in some pictures of the K-01 and the 40mm, the aperture is closed? I know that on all K-mount bodies, the aperture lever is supposed to keep the lens wide open until the actual exposure, and then open it again immediately. Just taking a wild guess, but is it possible for something to have actually changed in the camera's mount or in the lens design?
02-05-2012, 07:19 PM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote
If the 40XS has better IQ than the DA40, that is quite an accomplishment.
Optically the only difference is probably the slightly round shape aperture blades in the new 40XS. Manual focusing on this new 40 is pretty smooth too, quite a surprise to me
02-12-2012, 10:44 AM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Optically the only difference is probably the slightly round shape aperture blades in the new 40XS. Manual focusing on this new 40 is pretty smooth too, quite a surprise to me
Would that round shape aperture blades be better for bokeh? I always wanted to get the DA 40mm but I also have the FA 43mm, this 40mm XS would be good if it is also priced more attractive than the DA 40mm.

02-12-2012, 12:03 PM   #65
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kcobain1992 Quote
On a side note: has anyone else wondered why in some pictures of the K-01 and the 40mm, the aperture is closed? I know that on all K-mount bodies, the aperture lever is supposed to keep the lens wide open until the actual exposure, and then open it again immediately. Just taking a wild guess, but is it possible for something to have actually changed in the camera's mount or in the lens design?
It's normal for the aperture to be closed when the lens is not mounted... If there is a photo floating around of one seemingly mounted
with the aperture closed, you may be looking at a mock up body....that really doesn't have any guts in it.
03-06-2012, 03:42 PM   #66

I was just getting ready to purchase the 40mm ltd. when I saw the XS. Based on the specs on both at the Pentax site, the guts are identical (including both having SP coating) except for:

- The XS is plastic (v. ltd. metal)
- The XS is smaller and lighter
- The XS has a press-on lens cap (v. the ltd screw cap) - note: Perhaps the 40mm ltd. owners out there can purchase this cap aftermarket v. using their 135 fujifilm cap
- The XS is less expensive
- The XS has some serious "world-famous" designer mojo

Not apparent on the Pentax site:
- The XS is listed as having "rounded" aperture blades (but wouldn't the 40mm ltd. also have rounded - I say "curved" - blades? The FA 31mm ltd. and other FA ltd's, for example, do have curved - perhaps not "rounded"? - blades although it doesn't state that on the site; and the 31's bokeh is just fiiiiiiine) Can anyone out there with a DA 40mm ltd. please confirm if it at least has curved blades? Of course, anyone else let me know if I am off here. I'm all confused with the "rounded" v. my term "curved".
- The XS is not listed as having Quick-Shift v. the 40mm ltd. which does.
- The XS manual focus is more smooth - from comments.

Anything else? Can you see I'm trying to make a decision here?
03-06-2012, 06:26 PM   #67
Inactive Account

The blades on mine look curved. They make a nice circle for almost all the travel except when very tightly closed so I would guess they are curved yes. All 9 of them.

03-06-2012, 07:25 PM   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My DA 40 Ltd has curved blades too. From the front it looks like a whirlpool.
03-06-2012, 07:57 PM   #69
Pentaxian

The DA40ltd certainly looks nicer to me (I have the 40XS).
I also think the 40XS 'cheats' a bit in its claim to be slimmer.
The lens does piston in/out when focusing, so in actual fact, its slimmest at infinity and protrudes out a bit at min. focus.
Is that the case in the 40ltd?

Other than that, its a no-brainer choice for a small, bragging rights lens that is so in-expensive.
Most importantly, it does not jut out and is a slim, low encumbrance package on any Pentax camera.
I paid about $225 for mine when a friend got the K-01 and did not want it.
Really good deal for its size, uniqueness, usability and performance.
03-07-2012, 01:06 AM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
The DA40ltd certainly looks nicer to me (I have the 40XS).
I also think the 40XS 'cheats' a bit in its claim to be slimmer.
The lens does piston in/out when focusing, so in actual fact, its slimmest at infinity and protrudes out a bit at min. focus.
Is that the case in the 40ltd?
I've not tried a 40ltd, but it doesn't say anywhere that it is IF so I guess it would be the same. Non IF lenses always have the barel extend when focusing.

Last edited by Verglace; 03-07-2012 at 03:14 AM.
03-07-2012, 03:09 AM   #71
Inactive Account

Yeah it gets about half a centimetre longer when focused close.
03-07-2012, 05:15 PM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
DA40Ltd is shares the same optics as M40/2.8
I've heard this before and I find it difficult to believe...

I don't have the DA40Ltd but the images I see from it look great (sharp, contrasty, vivid colours)...

I do own the M40-2.8... It's not a great lens... It's sharpish (but nowhere near the DA-Ltd), doesn't have great contrast and the colours don't come close to those of my F or FA lenses...

Can anyone confirm that the M & DA 40's share the 'same' optics? Cos unless I have a bum-copy (which I don't think I do) I just don't think the M is as good...
03-07-2012, 07:45 PM   #73
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

From K-Mount Page

M40/2.8

DA 40/2.8 Ltd
03-12-2012, 09:18 AM   #74

Yes, that would be different optics - thank you Monochrome

OK - I just had to comment; after all that obsessive deciphering between DA 40 ltd. and xs, I decided.............to go with the FA 43 :P

Actually, I can see eventually going to the DA 40 ltd or xs in the future after my bank account recuperates; however, I am on a FA drip and cannot let go.
04-21-2012, 08:53 AM   #75
Veteran Member

In Canada the xs is $249 and the da40 is 200.00 more. Unless you are going to use the lens as your #1, then it is a no brainer for me. The only one that will care about which lens model is which will be me, if the end result looks the same on print, no one else will know, or care for that matter, except fellow Pentaxians

Call me cheap, but the frying pan swings a bit slower that way