Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-02-2012, 03:01 PM   #16
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Roob-N-Boots Quote
i have never used a DA40 but isn't it labeled as a FF lens? Maybe the XS version is just for cropped bodies. There was a picture of the DA40xs mounted on a Silver K-5 so who knows if we will be able to use them on our past DSLRs.

I did see that picture, but that camera was not a real K-5 silver (just a look a like).

02-02-2012, 03:02 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sewebster Quote
Anyone figured out the differences? Obviously the XS is somewhat smaller... Maybe I missed discussion of this somewhere. And of course I realize that likely it's speculation. Maybe this should be in the rumour forum, but the lens is "real."
One issue is whether the lens projects far enough back into the mount
to foul the mirror on an APS-C DSLR, or on an FF DSLR.
02-02-2012, 03:05 PM   #18
Site Supporter

i have never used a DA40 but isn't it labeled as a FF lens? Maybe the XS version is just for cropped bodies. There was a picture of the DA40xs mounted on a Silver K-5 so who knows if we will be able to use them on our past DSLRs.
You can get away with using the DA 40 ltd on a film body, but it isn't officially stated as a ff lens. The caveat is that you need a body to control the aperture from the body.
02-02-2012, 03:07 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I did see that picture, but that camera was not a real K-5 silver (just a look a like).
Ohh! I guess I didnt pay close attention.

02-02-2012, 03:08 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Pentax Imaging says this about the XS

QuoteQuote:
PENTAX KAF mount is compatible with current and past K-mount compatible cameras.

DA XS

DA Ltd

02-02-2012, 03:14 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
but it isn't officially stated as a ff lens
It says it is a FF lens on the Lens Review section under the list of features on this forum unless of course it is a typo.SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Reviews - DA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
02-02-2012, 03:22 PM   #22
Veteran Member

A 27mm lens hood.....hmmm......they're not pretty!

Last edited by Docrwm; 05-06-2013 at 08:11 PM.
02-02-2012, 03:30 PM   #23
Veteran Member

It's a Zeiss hood though.
02-02-2012, 03:32 PM   #24
Site Supporter

It says it is a FF lens on the Lens Review section under the list of features on this forum unless of course it is a typo.SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Reviews - DA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
Pentax has NEVER officially stated that the DA 40mm LTD is a full frame lens. In fact they have done the opposite in the past. This forum isn't an official entity of Pentax. I am aware of the review section. I have contributed a bunch to it over the years.

This is what I said.

QuoteQuote:
You can get away with using the DA 40 ltd on a film body, but it isn't officially stated as a ff lens. The caveat is that you need a body to control the aperture from the
I also stated that in addition, you would need a body that would allow you to control the aperture via the body. The reason is that it lacks the aperture ring and not all film bodies can set the aperture of the lens from the body. What this means is that if you get a DA 40 ltd and use it on your film body and don't like the results or the way it works, you can't gripe to Pentax about it. BH and Adorama even have a disclaimer on the overview of the DA 40 LTD

QuoteQuote:
Note! Not suitable for 35mm film SLR cameras.
Pentax SMCP-DA 40mm f/2.8 Limited Series Autofocus Lens 21550
02-02-2012, 03:58 PM   #25
axl
Veteran Member

DA40Ltd is shares the same optics as M40/2.8 but it lacks aperture ring snd aparently the rear element is slightly changed. There have been many pictures documenting it's FF compatibility. I wouldn't question that aspect of it.

From what I've read, the DA40XS is said to have reduced image circle to cover APSC only ant that is what enabled it to shrink the size. As far as it's compatibility with DSLRs go, there might be the same issue as with Canon EF-S lenses on FF bodies. If the reduced image circle means more protruding rear element, it might hit the mirror. I guess we might have to wait for the official word ar somebody willing to risk his SLR/DSLR

But personally I don't think there will be an issue with it on DSLRs, but that's just my 2p...
02-02-2012, 04:09 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Honestly, if the price of the XS by itself is $250, as I heard, I'd rather pay about $100 more and get the all-metal, quick-shift Limited.
02-02-2012, 04:15 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
Honestly, if the price of the XS by itself is $250, as I heard, I'd rather pay about $100 more and get the all-metal, quick-shift Limited.
The difference between the kit and the body only is 150, the difference between the k-5 kit (18-55) and the body only is also 150, the 18-55 WR normally sells for $200 by itself. So...
02-02-2012, 04:22 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The retail price of the DA35/2.4 is $220. It sells for ~$180. The retail price of the DA40 Limited is $500.
02-02-2012, 04:49 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
This seems to indicate that it is reverse compatible.
Well that's good news for anyone who might buy the K-01 kit (or for anyone who might want to save some money on a 40XS vs a 40LTD.

Glad my initial impression about it not being backwards compatible was wrong
02-02-2012, 05:22 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, "extra small" is a decent guess, but what I really meant is, "what are the defining characteristics of an XS series lens?" It could be that it is just a DA-L that happens to be quite small.