Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2012, 03:34 AM   #1

Cleaning 55/f1.8

I am cleaning a Takumar 55mm. The problem I have come across is that there is a bit of haze between the the inner rear lenses.

I have removed all of the bonding stuff with acetone, but the inner lenses still won't come apart. Any ideas on how to seperate the glass would be greatly appreciated.

02-03-2012, 06:34 AM   #2

I have the same problem with a lens from an Italian fixed lens RF. The glass elements on the photo are actually cemented together. My problem is that I have a lot of fungus on that cement (the fungus is actually eating cement). As I searched the internet I came across a little bit of info. The major problem would be re-cementing those glass parts once they are cleaned. But I don't have an clever idea how to decement them.
02-03-2012, 07:09 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sorry I can't be of any help, but assuming you can take them apart, which I haven't found a way to do, as far as I know there is no way to properly cement them back together doing it yourself. From what I understand, cementing requires precise micro-thickness controlled application and alignment, not to mention finding the appropriate cement in the first place.
Good luck and let us know if you find a way......

Thanks,
02-03-2012, 08:16 AM   #4
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The glue was once Canada Balsam. Now they use an epoxy compound and UV cure it.

02-03-2012, 08:50 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks all for the insite. I may just keep a lookout for another lens for parts.