Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2007, 05:07 PM   #1

Help with Lens

I know you have all heard this 100 times however I have gone through many threads and am still a little I have yet to buy the camera and until I make up my mind on which camera I want I am doing home work on the lenses. First off is $45 a good price for the kit lens 18-55 pentax. I have a chance to buy and figured I would save a little by buying the body only. Now I am torn, I have been considering the Sigma Zoom Super Wide Angle AF 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC Macro Autofocus Lens as a primary. I will be taking a lot of pictures of my kids in doors and at many times I will want a wide angle. Pictures of like the entire family or friends in one room, would like to be able to capture that. Also I want a lens that I can take out to the woods with me while I bow hunt, to snap shots of deer,cyotes, bob cats and many other animals and birds in these parts. I would apreciate any suggestions out there.

12-31-2007, 05:27 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
CC, I can say that $45 is a great price for the kit lens. It's actually a pretty good lens, well above the usual standard for a kit lens. I would say that it's two main problems are slight vignetting at 18mm and it's kinda slow at f3.5 Adorama is selling a used one for over $70. All that said I'm not sure it will be fast enough to get inside shots w/o a flash. On the other hand at $45 you would have to worry as much about getting it banged up, or wet, or what ever out in the woods. I've heard very little about the Sigma, so I can't advise you there, but it's true that both it and the kit lens are very similar focal lengths.
All I can say is that I have a full dozen lenses as still use the kit lens on a fairly regualr basis, it's no longer my 'main' lens but it does get some use.

NaCl(good luck with your dilemma and welcome to the forums!)H2O
12-31-2007, 05:35 PM   #3
Site Supporter

G'Day...
It can all get very , so thats ok, we understand.

All camera manufacturers will offer their product with a "kit" lens at an attractive price to get you started, however, whilst the kit lens is "cheap" its not nesessarily rubbish...otherwise the manufacturer shoots itself in the foot/head, rather it is mass produced to a price.

The Pentax 18-55 kit lens is one of the best kit lenses on offer and many forum usuers will sing its praises, I have one and like it.

The Sigma 17-70 will be a better lens than the kit lens, with the added bonus of the f2.8 at the wide end...so if you can afford this option, go with it.

In general with lenses the faster they are (lower aperture or f number...the more expensive they are....(if you weren't by now, I should almost have you there )....so it all comes down to $$$$.

One of the best lens going at the moment is the new DA* 50-135 (add a 2X converter & your laughing), if you can afford that along with your 17-70 you would have a high quality kit that will cover most situations. Later you can add a tele if you need the reach.

Hope that helps a little bit.
Cheers
12-31-2007, 05:40 PM   #4

Original Poster
I may look into limited lenses for the indoor shots, just don't know. The low light is the reason I was looking at the sigma. Get wide angle in lower light, no flash. But the more I read the more I am considering a limited lens. What would a regular slr lens at 12 or 13 mm at a 1.2 or 1.whatever be like? 20mm? Would I get a lot of wide angle?

12-31-2007, 06:05 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cajuncutter Quote
I may look into limited lenses for the indoor shots, just don't know. The low light is the reason I was looking at the sigma. Get wide angle in lower light, no flash. But the more I read the more I am considering a limited lens. What would a regular slr lens at 12 or 13 mm at a 1.2 or 1.whatever be like? 20mm? Would I get a lot of wide angle?
CC, Are you asking about a lens with a single focal length? They are called primes. The "limiteds" are completely different kettle of fish, premium quality lenses, pentax makes 6 of them. If you are talking about primes, I can highly recommend the Sigma 24mm F1.8 for an inside lens, plenty fast enough to catch your kids w/o a flash (unless they are running fast) and mostly wide enough for small to medium size groups and a good landscape lens. If you have deep pockets, you might want to think about the new DA* 16-50 F2.8. It's fast and wide enough for the uses you are looking at. However it's not cheap.

NaCl(hope I didn't confuse you too much)H2O
12-31-2007, 06:30 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The 17-70 has a much better range, and the image quality will surpass the kit lens.

Rather than spending about $750 on the Pentax 16-50, you can still get the Sigma 18-50 f2.8 from Cameta Camera for about $275. The extra 2mm is useful though.