Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-03-2012, 10:14 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do XS lenses belong in this forum?

I'm posting the question for two reasons.

The technical question is:
Will the XS lenses work at infinity focus on an APS-C DSLR
without fouling the mirror?

The forum question (for Adam) is:
Will XS lens questions be discussed
in the "SLR lens discussion" forum,
or will there be a new "Mirrorless lens" forum?

02-03-2012, 10:19 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's going to be interesting if the XS lenses work on DSLR bodies.

As for the forum, perhaps the "SLR" can be dropped from the title. Otherwise you'll have K-01 people looking for lenses in two different forums.

Last edited by wasser; 02-03-2012 at 11:05 AM.
02-03-2012, 10:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I'm not Adam, but I am a moderator, so I guess I probably will end up having some say in this. My take is that until there are enough XS lenses to be worth their pwn forum, there is no point in it. XS lenses might be discussed to some extent in the K-01 forum, because it's only folks following the K-01 who will be interested in that discussion. But since K-01 people will also interested (obviously) in K mount lenses, and will be faced with decisions involving comparing K and XS lenses, this lens forum seems as appropriate place as any for the foreseeable future.
02-03-2012, 10:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I'm not Adam, but I am a moderator, so I guess I probably will end up having some say in this. My take is that until there are enough XS lenses to be worth their pwn forum, there is no point in it. XS lenses might be discussed to some extent in the K-01 forum, because it's only folks following the K-01 who will be interested in that discussion. But since K-01 people will also interested (obviously) in K mount lenses, and will be faced with decisions involving comparing K and XS lenses, this lens forum seems as appropriate place as any for the foreseeable future.
However, there are those who are interested in mounting an XS lens on their non-k-01 body. Of course, this is all dependent upon XS being compatible with the DSLRs.

02-03-2012, 10:54 AM   #5
Ole
Administrator

From what I heard yesterday the XS 40mm lens is compatible with DSLRs, but we don't know about future lenses yet. They could be constructed with rear elements that would interfere with the mirror.

Anyway, I agree that discussion of XS lenses and the other K-mount lenses belong in one and the same forum, which could be renamed to Pentax K-mount Lens Discussion.
02-03-2012, 11:11 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
Anyway, I agree that discussion of XS lenses and the other K-mount lenses belong in one and the same forum, which could be renamed to Pentax K-mount Lens Discussion.
But then, what about M42 lenses, or all of RioRico's goofy rigs?
02-03-2012, 11:11 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I'd expect Pentax to release lists of XS lenses that do or do not work with older K mount DSLRs. Has anybody seen one?

02-03-2012, 12:04 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I've suggested that CAMERA discussions be grouped by mount more than internals. So we might have Pentax camera sections for Q-mount (maybe with an A110 subsection), MF-mount (645/67), K-mount digital, and M42 and K-mount film. Also the non-Pentax-camera section, of course. And a Ricoh GXR section.

For LENS discussions, we stay as we are -- all lenses that can be mounted on or modded for Pentax screwmount and bayonet SLRs. Lenses of the other mounts (Q, A110, MF, non-Pentax, GXR) would be discussed in those CAMERA subsections. So the organization might look like this:
CAMERAS
|
+-- Q & A110 cameras & lenses
+-- Pentax MF cameras & lenses (645, 67, 645D)
+-- Pentax digital SLRs & ILCs (K-series)
+-- Pentax 35mm film SLRs (all)
+-- Pentax+Ricoh fixed-lens P&S's
+-- Ricoh GXR cameras & modules & lenses
+-- non-Pentax-Ricoh cameras & lenses

LENSES
|
+-- lenses for Pentax ILCs (except Q & A110)
This structure isn't perfect and I've probably ommitted something basic, but it's a start. Ideas, anyone?
02-03-2012, 12:56 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
From what I heard yesterday the XS 40mm lens is compatible with DSLRs, but we don't know about future lenses yet. They could be constructed with rear elements that would interfere with the mirror.

Ole,
What did you hear yesterday? We're still getting conflicting statements online from various Pentax web resources. Some say only with the K-01 and others say with all KAF cameras. Official clarification on this might be nice (and help their dysfunctional marketing BTW). Any help would be appreciated as an interested and frustrated bystander.
Thanks,
-Robert
02-03-2012, 01:00 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
We're still getting conflicting statements online from various Pentax web resources. Some say only with the K-01 and others say with all KAF cameras. Official clarification on this might be nice (and help their dysfunctional marketing BTW). Any help would be appreciated as an interested and frustrated bystander.
My guess is that the mount in itself works for every XS lens and every K mount camera. What might become a problem is how deep the lens goes to the camera body, possibly hitting the mirror. The 40mm XS looks so shallow that I'd expect it to work fine. But will the other coming lenses?

I agree Pentax should clarify this. But I expect them to do that when the lenses are released.
02-03-2012, 01:02 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
My guess is that the mount in itself works for every XS lens and every K mount camera. What might become a problem is how deep the lens goes to the camera body, possibly hitting the mirror. The 40mm XS looks so shallow that I'd expect it to work fine. But will the other coming lenses?

I agree Pentax should clarify this. But I expect them to do that when the lenses are released.
And given that Pentax hasn't said anything about any more XS lenses, and there are none on the roadmap, it is pointless to speculate about them.
02-03-2012, 01:04 PM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

We'll have to wait and see. In all likelihood, though, XS lenses will function just like any other DA lens, but there won't be anything on the barrel really. However, in any case, if we end up needing to split the forum, we can do it as follows:

Pentax K-Mount SLR Lenses (we'll keep the SLR in the title, or replace it with interchangeable)
Takumar M42 Screwmount Lenses
Pentax 645 & 6x7 Medium Format Lenses

And then for cameras, we can go:
-Digital SLRs (with sub-forums for current models)
-Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Cameras (can't wait until ILC becomes an everyday acronym, with sub-forums for current models)
-Film SLRs
-Medium Format Cameras
-Compact Digital and Rangefinder Cameras

Nobody cares about the Q and I doubt Pentax will ever come out with a third mount type for now...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-03-2012, 01:05 PM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
And given that Pentax hasn't said anything about any more XS lenses, and there are none on the roadmap, it is pointless to speculate about them.
They did mention that the XS series will be designed by Marc Newson, so there likely will be a few more lenses. I bet you some of the stuff on the roadmap is XS.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-03-2012, 02:44 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
They did mention that the XS series will be designed by Marc Newson.
Hopefully only the outer barrel, not the optics!
02-03-2012, 06:49 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Hopefully only the outer barrel, not the optics!
What? You don't want yellow glass? It'll give you that old school radioactive Takumar feel!