Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2012, 07:29 PM   #1
Inactive Account

DxOMark score

Hi,

Someone can explain me why DxOMark are giving so low scores to the Pentax lenses ??

02-03-2012, 07:57 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I believe it has to do with the resolution of the camera used. The DxOMark tests pair lenses with cameras. Lens paired with higher resolution cameras get higher scores. Because Pentax has no FF camera with 24 mpx, there lenses score lower than Nikon, Canon, and Sony.
02-03-2012, 10:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sebastienva Quote
Hi,

Someone can explain me why DxOMark are giving so low scores to the Pentax lenses ??
I think chromatic abberation was an issue for the 16-50 F/2.8. It is a lens I have been interested in. If you want you can have the camera fix it automatically but it slows the shutter speed of the K-5 down a bit. Adobe Lightroom can also fix it. So consider what you can do in post processing before you make a decision. Personally, I have to really magnify part of a photo before I have even seen CA with any of my lenses.

You of course are not limited to Pentax lenses. You have the Sigma 50mm F/1.4 which out scores the Canon L version.
02-03-2012, 10:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Lens resolution tests done with a particular camera, can only be compared with other lenses tested on the same camera to be meaningful. Essentially you are measuring the lens/camera pair.

The resolution and dimension of the sensor will influence the numbers with higher resolution sensor resulting in higher numbers.

02-04-2012, 04:18 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Maybe they should use a Sony nex or something with an adapter so that all the lenses are tested on the same sensor, maybe they can build their own FF system....