Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2007, 10:24 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
What lense do I need to get these results...

I have ordered my 1st marco lense...smc P-D FA 100mm Macro F2.8

I also ordered my 1st limited lense...smc P-FA 77mm F1.8 - Black

I am also looking for a weather resistant lense that will take pictures of beautiful senery.Plan to take pictures in the snow and rain.. I narrowed down selection to these 2...

smc DA 16-50mm F2.8 ED/AL (IF) SDM
smc DA 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF)SDM

I am also looking for some really nice wide angle lense brand must be pentax only...Any advice on which one to get...

I would also like a lense that will take beautiful wildlife pictures, which one will give amasing results...

Also where in Canada is a really great place to buy a lense... on the web.. I do live in Alberta..

ABCVWinter ( Laurie : P

12-31-2007, 11:06 PM   #2
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OMG, LBA Gone Wild! [LBA = Lens Buying Addiction] Welcome to the forum.

You've got some great ideas, and fantastic lens pics already. I've been through my LBA phase and am pretty much settled for now.

Well, you do know it's the person that takes the picture, not the camera right? With that said, you want the pentax DA 12-24mm for your wide angle needs. I can't recommend my Sigma 300mm f/2.8 higher for wildlife shooting; works great with all the top TCs for more reach. You can click my 'Best Of Tanzania' for a taste, or thousands in my gallery on Fotki; hope you agree. But it is of course not the only choice. The FA* 300mm f/2.8 is fabulous, but a rare monster, and expensive; if you got the FA (was it a '*' lens?) 400 f/2.8 even i would be lusting after that. If you don't mind manual focus, the A* version is a great one. Additionally, both Sigma and Pentax have f/4 versions of the 300mm, and I think Pentax has a 400mm f/4 in the past (I don't believe that one was an FA; I could be wrong).

Spend some time on the board. READ .... SEARCH .... check out people's signatures, and their profiles. Even better, check out the reviews forum (with pretty pictures of every lens )
12-31-2007, 11:52 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Hi, if you are planning to get the DA 16-50mm/DA 50-135mm, then I suggest to wait and see whether Pentax would also announce a DA* wide angle zoom (ie. the tokina one with f2.8) in the near future. Nevertheless, if you already get the DA16-50mm, then I think the 16mm range is already pretty good for taking beautiful senery.
What I am trying to say is no need in rushing for lens, especially if you want to get a tele for wildlife pictures...choices for pentax are rare and expensives.
I myself using A400mm f5.6 for widelife, only until recently, I decided and bought a pentax K500mm f4.5 This decision took a long time after searching for comments and sample pics and assessment of whether this len/focal length was required, of course finding a good one in second hand market also needed time.
If you are a beginner, I suggest to try the 300mm or wait and see the DA*series as you mention lens brand must be pentax.
01-01-2008, 12:32 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
I've been through my LBA phase and am pretty much settled for now.
Amen to that....

01-01-2008, 01:19 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Skill and experience makes photos, not the lens, really. Sure, if the lens has poor colour, contrast, flare control, CA characteristics it can ruin a photo.

Otherwise, even cheap (almost free) lenses can serve you pretty well.
I got this Sigma 70-210 f4-5.6 expecting it to be garbage, but actually turned out to be useful as a lightweight telephoto (it's not much bigger than a DA 50-200) and is about a quarter of the weight of my Sigma 70-200 f2.8.
This was without a polariser...
01-01-2008, 01:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Going on your title for this thread .. and looking at the picture taken.
I was going to suggest the FA50 f/1.4 ... but it looks like you wish to spend a hell of a lot more.
01-01-2008, 02:11 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mechan1k Quote
Going on your title for this thread .. and looking at the picture taken.
I was going to suggest the FA50 f/1.4 ... but it looks like you wish to spend a hell of a lot more.
How about the FA43mm LE since he already brought FA 77mm F1.8
01-01-2008, 10:23 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
When my Mom had me they said you have a new baby girl, They must have been right.. I doubt a man can go through pregnancy, labour and childbirth..

Here is what I have so far...

Camera Body..... Pentax K10D
Kit lense....... smc PENTAX-DA 18mm-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL
Extra Lense.... smc PENTAX-FA J Zoom 75mm - 300mm f/4.5 - f/5.8 AL
Flash............ Pentax AF540FGZ

ordered and on the way...

Lense Marco... smc P-D FA 100mm Macro F2.8
Lense Limited... smc P-FA 77mm F1.8

When it come to the split second in life. Quality is what I go for... Cost does not make me choose. It is the lense that will give me the result I am looking for..

I chose the smc P-FA 77mm F1.8 for doing children and family poratrates, read the reviews checked out the photographs people taken with the lense, Amasing results.....

Why the smc P-D FA 100mm Macro F2.8 simple, I like closeups of flowers and bugs... Do not want to be stug in the process. I know flowers will not hurt you but those spiders and stinger bugs, well you know why now... I also like the reviews on the lense too..

QuoteQuote:
Hi, if you are planning to get the DA 16-50mm/DA 50-135mm, then I suggest to wait and see whether Pentax would also announce a DA* wide angle zoom
No i did not order this lense yet, she was sitting on my get this list..Thank you for you're advice dsport I will wait and see what pentax Has in store.

QuoteQuote:
you want the pentax DA 12-24mm for your wide angle needs
Thank You m8o I will check out this lense...

I do have a smc PENTAX-FA J Zoom 75mm - 300mm f/4.5 - f/5.8 AL is this good for wildlife or not really...

Anyone know a good place in canada to buy a lense...??

ABCWinter ( Laurie :P

01-01-2008, 10:46 AM   #9
m8o
Veteran Member

Lovely picture of your child.

I can't attest to the long zoom you mention for sharpness, color and contrast, CA or purple fringing one way or the other for lack of experience with it. It isn't the fastest, but the Bigma is even slower (though longer) so that doesn't mean much; it may work well in bright sunlight, but you may have trouble with results under a heavy tree canopy, grey drizzly weather, or at dusk.

If you haven't seen the two active "fun" threads kicking around, check these out:
1) What we have: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/17397-what-s-y...rite-lens.html
2) What we wish we could have: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/17395-cost-no-...d-you-buy.html
It may give you some ideas for where to spend your $.... as a starting point, you'll need to look-up why people love or desire them from there.

Last edited by m8o; 01-01-2008 at 10:49 AM. Reason: fixed a URL
01-01-2008, 11:30 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I have the FAJ 75-300mm lens ... albeit not the best lens out there from a lot of reviews (I found these reviews after ordering it) ... I still went ahead and got it.

Put it this way ... it's not a bad lens and does produce decent images ... it's not a quick lens ... and in some high contrast conditions ... you will get purple fringing (especially shooting at birds in trees).

It's a cheap lens ... and does give the reach ... and I have used it for outdoor shots of my nieces and family where in wanted a little more reach.

I am still keeping it ... so i have no need for replacing it just yet ... but from what I have heard and read ... there are better ones out there. I think i have a good copy after seeing images others have from this lens too ... mine seemed to have come out better.
01-01-2008, 12:43 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Hi Laurie,

It looks like you've already started on a pretty good collection. If you are looking for a good wide angle Pentax made lens to go along with what you already have I'd say go with the Pentax DA 12-24. It is an excellent ultra wide angle rectilinear (read no fish eye distortion) lens. And like others have said the FA 50mm F1.4 would be a great inside lens for shot of your lovely child. (good shots btw)

NaCl(and welcome to the forums!)H2O
01-01-2008, 01:14 PM   #12

I bought my K10 kit and accessories from this ebay seller based in Ontario. This is actually the online version of Carmans Foto Source. You can give them a try:

eBay My World - prodigital2000
01-01-2008, 07:22 PM   #13
Site Supporter

As SupremeMoFo says its not necessarily all about the lens.
These couple of shots are taken by my daughter at a pro-surfing event, she was standing in the water alongside the pro-photogs with their big grey lenses (they actually all moved to make room for her, which was very polite).
Camera: Pentax *ist DL. Lens: Sigma 100-300 f5.6 purchased about 10 years ago, this lens does not have a good reputation. Handheld @300mm. no pp.

Oh for the DA* series lenses.
Cheers

Last edited by Mallee Boy; 02-14-2008 at 02:44 PM.
01-02-2008, 12:40 AM   #14
Forum Member

As for good places to buy lenses from in Canada: Vistek,Don's Photo, and of course Henry's in Toronto are all excellent places to order lenses from. Chances are you'll get the best prices at Henry's, but you may have a local brick and mortar Don's which will price match to Henry's if you ask them to. Vistek is the last place I usually check, and then only if I'm having trouble locating something.
01-02-2008, 07:11 AM   #15

If you can order online, it's hard to beat Camera Canada - Canada's dot.com for Cameras for their prices and the service is very professional and friendly.

I really have to suggest the FA 50mm f1.4 for candid indoor shots as the focal length on the crop sensor fits a bit better than the 77mm (both are astounding lenses and have their uses).

For wildlife, how long of a focal length are you looking for? I know blwnhr has had really good results with his Sigma 50-500 (Bigma) and when I shot Pentax I had rented a Sigma 100-300 f4 EX for a while which was tack sharp at 300mm with a price that won't break the bank.

I'd probably suggest:

Indoor: Pentax FA 50mm f1.4
Wildlife: Sigma 100-300 EX f4
Wide Angle: Pentax DA 12-24 OR wait for the unannounced DA * wide angle if cost is no concern.