Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2012, 03:19 PM   #1

Pentax-FA* 80-200mm controls

I pulled the trigger on my dream lens, the justifiably renowned FA* 80-200.Still testing it out, know so far, in agreement with discussions elsewhere on the forum that, yep, it is heavy, and yep, it is not quite as sharp as the hype would lead you to think- but color and overall sharpness through the zoom range is, in fact, quite wonderful.
BUT-
What, by all that's holy, do the controls do? You can slide the switch to PZ or AZ, and there's a small button next to it. I would most appreciate a bit of schooling in what these are supposed to accomplish.
Power zoom seems straight forward. There's discussion elsewhere about some sort of "auto-zoom", which seems to indicate it is possible for the lens to stay with a given subject over changes in distance through some sort of software
in the camera, but I am doubtful that is possible with my K-5. And I also read about someone's preference for "turning off" the power zoom function. I can only do that by sticking with a given focal length- there doesn't seem to be any way to change the focal length manually. So, before I irrevocably damage a substantial investment, would someone be so kind as to treat my acluemia? (That's medical talk for "without a clue")
THANKS!

02-04-2012, 04:10 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The controls don't do anything unless you're on an older Z series film camera, but the functionality you're describing was basically what you could do back in those days.

In order to disable power zoom, slide the innermost ring toward you, and then it'll turn into a manual zoom ring.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-05-2012, 09:45 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
look into Z1P if you want to use those function.

Otherwise, forget about it and enjoy the lens.
It is wonderful.
02-08-2012, 04:32 PM   #4

Original Poster
grateful

Thanks, folks. At least now I know what I'm doing.
Nothing to blame poor shots on but myself!