Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-04-2012, 03:23 PM   #1
Inactive Account

What does the "P" mean ????

Im an old Nikon Guy [still am] Ive been getting involved with Pentax lately, Tamron adaptall II lenses, some K lenses -- M42 Takumars, I own a K20D and a K200D. I have to say Pentax has been a well kept secret, when you run with people that only think Nikon and Canon. Pentax is great and a lot of fun. I just purchased a Pentax 645 "P" 300mm f5.6 FA SMC ED-IF, mint for $850, I feel thats an OK deal. My question is whats with the "P" ??? Im sure someone has the answer, I keep going in circles trying to get the scoop on this.

Thanks Paul

02-04-2012, 03:58 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax, lol.

SMC-P DA = SMC Pentax-DA

Also, do you have the adapter required to use that lens? It's a medium-format lens and as such is quite large.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-04-2012, 04:18 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Oh boy. I do hope this ends well.
02-04-2012, 05:46 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nowhere Matt Quote
Oh boy. I do hope this ends well.
...Yes! Me too! The lens is an FA (autofocus) model made to fit the Pentax 645 series film camera. It can also be used on the 645D. Both are medium format. It can be adapted to K-mount, but for most people, it is not worth the trouble given the bulk.

Steve

02-04-2012, 06:38 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for you concern about the use of the 645 lens, you mean it wont fit my Nikon ??? Just having a little fun, I have a 645D ordered from B&H and it should be here on Tues or Wed I can drive to B&H in about 45 minutes but its better to order online.

On that subject has anyone used a 67 or 645 lens on a K mount, of course with an adapter.
02-04-2012, 06:41 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by grumpy277 Quote
Thanks for you concern about the use of the 645 lens, you mean it wont fit my Nikon ???.
Actually, because it's a medium format lens, it will.

http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Adatper-Pentax-Camera-Adapter/dp/B002JXXVKW
02-04-2012, 06:43 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
ADAM ------ Thanks for clearing the "P" issue up for me.

02-04-2012, 07:30 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Just like the big 'P' on the top dial on the camera, it means "Professional". Use both in combination and you're all set!
02-04-2012, 08:03 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
Just like the big 'P' on the top dial on the camera, it means "Professional". Use both in combination and you're all set!
Pretty good amoringello ------- dont give up your day job
02-04-2012, 09:04 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
Does that mean I can't use the P on my dial because I am not a Pro
Oh well I don't use it anyway
Welcome to the forums Grumpy
02-04-2012, 09:29 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Thanks for you concern about the use of the 645 lens, you mean it wont fit my Nikon ??? Just having a little fun, I have a 645D ordered from B&H and it should be here on Tues or Wed I can drive to B&H in about 45 minutes but its better to order online.

On that subject has anyone used a 67 or 645 lens on a K mount, of course with an adapter.
I use my P645 A lenses with my K20D from time to time. K20D defaults to Av mode and it's stopped down metering only. I also have a P67 SMC Takumar 300/4.0 lens I have tried on the K20D, again the same Av mode, stopped down metering. Ergonomically, P645 lenses are comfortable to hold and use on the K20D, slightly on the heavy side but not as bad as the reviews in the forum might indicate (old glass is heavy, no point in moaning about it). The P67 300/4.0 is heavy and unwieldy, but shooting through the centre of the glass might be worthwhile to some. You should have no problem mounting/using your P645 FA 300/5.6 on a Pentax DSLR, it's probably smaller and lighter than my CZJ Pentacon 6 300/4.0 Sonnar lens I sometimes use on the K20D.
02-05-2012, 07:02 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
(old glass is heavy, no point in moaning about it).
Old glass is wonderful, people ask why I bother with 35+ yr old lenses. Show them the results and they understand, I was hooked by my first Takumar. Outside of my wife thinking my LBA is terminal, and I need professional help, its all good.

Thanks folks for the welcome & the humor, that "P" thing will take a while to live down
02-05-2012, 09:02 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks folks for the welcome & the humor, that "P" thing will take a while to live down
It's asked at least once a month.