Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2012, 12:43 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Scratched lens

Bought a F50mm f1.7 that has scratches around the edge of the front glass from improper cleaning.From what I gather
from old threads here is that it shouldn't hurt image quality much but causes more flare.Have taken a few pictures with it,so far nothing bad noticeable.Am in negotiations with seller for price adjustment.What would be a fair price for the lens in it's condition?
Thanks,
Jake

02-05-2012, 01:21 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Scratches like that will scatter light into quite random directions. How much will depend on the conditions. The scattered light will reduce contrast and sharpness, and you will have a higher risk getting flares. Probably light coming in at a low angle will scatter more.Large apperture's will give stronger effects than if you close down. If the scratches are close to the center of the lens element, the problem is more likely to be noticed often than if the scratches are near the edge of the lens element.

It is hard to tell a price. I probably would not buy it. But if I did, it would be with the intention of getting an inexpensive copy of the M50/1.7, to steal its front lens element and use it to replace the damaged lens element of the F50/1.7. They are of the same lens design, and lens elements are probably replaceable in between them.
02-05-2012, 01:23 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There's one on KEH right now, their "EX," for $215.
So anything much more than $100 for a scratched copy would seem excessive by comparison.
02-05-2012, 01:26 PM   #4
Pentaxian

To "repair" scratches, Leica used to recommend filling them with matte black paint.
Supposed to help stop the flare.

02-05-2012, 03:34 PM   #5
dms
Site Supporter

I believe it was india ink--but for a crack--with light scratches I doubt if this will work and will likely ruin the lens.

I also think about 1/2 of the if VG/EX fair price is about right (if the only problems are the scratches--and you find it actually takes fine pictures). But it really depends on how much you want/need the lens (is it rare/needed next week), and is it for use with no thought of future resale, or for a collection or for resale.
02-05-2012, 03:45 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for replies which has lead me to returning the lens,hard lesson ad I will be out $25 or so.Next to the 28mm the 50mm is my most used lens.Have a couple good manual 50's so getting an autofocus one is not a big hurry.Don't want to try any of the probable cures on this one but if I happen to get a cheap something will try them out.
Thanks,
Jake
02-05-2012, 04:07 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
I believe it was india ink--but for a crack--with light scratches I doubt if this will work and will likely ruin the lens.
This website reports success using "Kodak flat black lacquer" on a chip:

Scratch on Lens - Photo.net Canon EOS Forum

See the post by Ron Ries , Dec 07, 2006; 11:44 a.m.
02-05-2012, 05:43 PM   #8
dms
Site Supporter

lytrytr, thanks for then additional info on using black paint--my concern was/still is the OP may apply it (wipe it) over the lens and it may not only fill in the scratches when wiped off.