Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2012, 03:27 AM   #1

Can I fix this?

Hi, I just picked up and old K1000 lot from craigslist that came with an Cosmicar(hard to find any info no this) its an PKA 28mm everything works on it most of the time lol. The only thing is some times the focus ring turns but the barrel doesn't extend out as you turn it and in turn it does not focus unless you turn it all the way back then pinch the focus ring and refocus. Its not just the plastic thats spinning like I have seen on some older M lens. It must be something inside is my guess anyone have a clue?

Thanks alot

02-06-2012, 03:32 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You might have to open the lens up to see what's what- honestly I'd say you have nothing to lose, but if it turns out that something is snapped or broken, there probably won't be much more to be done.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-06-2012, 03:38 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks Adam your always so fast to respond to my posts (most of the time at crazy hours) thanks

I never opened up an A setting lens before this should be fun
02-06-2012, 05:44 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Maybe

It could be easy or it could be a binit! The first place to look is under the focus grip - the plastic covering can be eased off. You may find loose screws or, in some cases, sticky tape holding two sections together. If you're mechanically inclined it should be obvious what's wrong once you get the cover off.

BFN
David

02-06-2012, 10:09 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I say take it apart and see what makes it tick, you've got nothing to lose since you basically got the lens for free. If you fix it great, if you don't you'll still have the fun of taking a lens apart and see exactly what is inside. I recently did the same thing with my W90 point and shoot camera after it decided not to be waterproof anymore. Everything inside was fried from salt water corrosion so I decided to dissect the camera and see exactly what is inside. I was really surprised at just how much stuff they actually are able to fit inside such a small camera.
02-25-2012, 02:58 AM   #6

Original Poster
OK, I started with the wrong tools then ended up finding a good screwdriver 1/2 into it. I fixed the sloppy focus was like 3 real small screws that came free. That was easy if only I didn't open the back up it would be mint right now but I did. I got it all back together working mostly but I lost the "A" pin spring and ball. So no more Av mode any more that kind of bummed me out but hey it works good still but now its like a M lens. I still dont understand how that pin controls the aperture.

I was going to take more pics of it but sorry I didnt get to it. In this pic you can see the aperture ring off (top left oof), that shim off to the right works the aperture lever at 3 O-clock on the lens when you spin the aperture ring manually.
Attached Images