Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2012, 11:33 AM   #16
Pentaxian

I would offer one bit of advice, if you are going to buy a good amount of fast manual focus lenses, then invest in a good aftermarket focusing screen. The k-5, for all its strengths, is really weak when it comes to the stock focusing screen, which is very typical for every digital crop sensored camera that I have handled.

02-06-2012, 12:05 PM   #17
MSL
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I'm going through similar issues, although I already bought my K-5, and I chose to upgrade from the 18-55 basic lens to the WR version. A lot of that had to do with how the lenses felt in my hands. I was not comfortable with the zoom ring on the basic lens, while the WR version felt a lot better in my hands. I also liked the fact that you could switch from auto to manual focus by twisting the focusing ring. The lens hood is also a nice bonus - in my old days of shooting film I didn't use one very much, but when I needed it, I really needed it.

Having blown the budget (and then some) on the camera + lens + card + filter, I'm now poking around the web looking at used lenses, but I'm taking my time before buying. With my old minolta film camera I survived with only two lenses - a 50 mm f1.7 and a wonderful Sigma 70-200 f2.8-3.5. Someday I'll get something comparable for the Pentax. Occasionally I could have done with a wide angle, and I always lusted after Minolta's 85mm f1.4, but never enough to put down the money.

I ended up with a K-5 a bit by accident - but I'm glad I did. Wonderful camera, and the kit lens is much better than what most other companies provide.
02-07-2012, 09:12 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tessl8d Quote
I'm really nervous about the compatibility of used lenses and K5's
There's no reason to be. All the old Pentax K-Mount lenses work with Pentax cameras, as do nearly all third party K-Mount glass.

I'm not as big a fan of the 18-55 as some of the other posters here. It's a decent lens, but it's outclassed by nearly every DA lens that it shares focal length with. The main justification for the 18-55 is that it's the cheapest way to cover the wide end of things on Pentax digital cameras. The least expensive alternative is the DA 16-45, which costs nearly $400 new, and usually over $225 used.

If I had to get the 18-55 because I couldn't afford anything better, I would not get the WR version. If money's tight, WR is not worth the extra cost.

Some of the best bargains among Pentax glass are:

K 55 f2
M 28 f3.5
F 35-70 f3.5-4.5
F 70-210 f4 -5.6

All these lens are superior to the 18-55 kit. The two F lenses are autofocus. All but the 7-210 can usually be found for under $50. One word of caution about Pentax lenses: make sure you buy "SMC" lenses. There are a few Pentax lenses without the "SMC" label, including some "F 70-210"s. They are cheap bargain lenses and are to be avoided.

My advice for macro would be simply to save for a "real" macro lens, i.e., a lens with 1:1 magnification. The best least expensive option is probably the Tamron 90 f2.8. Keh.com currently has one (used) for $286.
02-08-2012, 02:49 AM   #19

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Great advice from everyone thanks, I appreciate all your considered responses. I just bought an old Pentax SMC 50 f2 for 50$ online, no great drama if I find it doesn;t suit. I do however think that the 100mm Macro WR will be my final choice for the K5, I've already sold stuff that I didn't use much to pay for it. I love taking photo's and making art in beautiful and remote places. I look forward to making some decent contributions to this forum in the not to distant future.