Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2012, 01:20 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Tokina vs. Tamron 500mm mirror lens - How do they compare?

Hey all.

My wife wants a Tamron 500mm f8 mirror lens, but I found a pretty good deal on a Tokina. How does the Tokina stack up to the image quality of the Tamron?

Right now, she has a cheap Kalimar 500mm mirror lens. I know the Tamron is a big leap in quality... but what about the Tokina?

Cheers,
Bobbo :-)

02-06-2012, 01:46 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can't speak to the Tokina, but the Tamron SP (either 52B or 52BB) are pretty much the Gold Standard of mirror lenses.
I had this lens and sold it, but would love to pick one up again:

02-06-2012, 01:51 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don't forget that the Tokina can also be found as a "Sears" clone.

I've got the Tokina/Sears and it's pretty good.
I also have 2 of the Sigma 600mm and never use them.
I also have the Pentax SMC 1000mm.
I also have the Pentax 500mm spotting scope, which can be turned into a camera lens.

Yes, I've experimented with mirror lenses.
02-06-2012, 03:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, I know those Tamrons are very good, (as is the Russian 3M-CA, which is my 500mm weapon of choice), but I'd like to know how the Tokina stacks up to the Tamron. My wife already has one of those ubiquitous, cheap, mediocre mirror lenses, so if I buy the Tokina, I'd like to to be significantly better than the one she has now.

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
I've got the Tokina/Sears and it's pretty good.
So, Lauren... Had any experience with the Tamron or 3M-5CA that you could compare the Tokina to?

Cheers,

02-06-2012, 04:04 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
Yeah, I know those Tamrons are very good, (as is the Russian 3M-CA, which is my 500mm weapon of choice), but I'd like to know how the Tokina stacks up to the Tamron. My wife already has one of those ubiquitous, cheap, mediocre mirror lenses, so if I buy the Tokina, I'd like to to be significantly better than the one she has now.

So, Lauren... Had any experience with the Tamron or 3M-5CA that you could compare the Tokina to?

Cheers,
No.

I tried to get one once, but they are hard to come by.

02-06-2012, 10:13 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Other than this comparison between Tamron 55B, Minolta 500/8 and Tokina 500/8, I haven't seen anything else: Tamron SP Adaptall-2 500mm F/8 Model 55B I doubt that Kalimar 500/8 has ever been tested like the three mentioned above, and any test will have to be conducted by yourself after you've acquired the Tamron or Tokina.
02-07-2012, 12:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The Tamron 500BB is only around $100-120. Don't compromise, just find yourself a good one on EBay.

02-07-2012, 04:27 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
The Tamron 500BB is only around $100-120.
I haven't seen one on eBay for $120 for forever. They're more like $250 on eBay. KEH has 'em for $160, which isn't bad, but still... I'm picking up a Tokina from another member for $80. While not the equal of the Tamron or the 3M-5CA, it seems to be decent. If my wife doesn't like it I can always get my money back out of it & try again.
02-07-2012, 08:49 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
I haven't seen one on eBay for $120 for forever. They're more like $250 on eBay. KEH has 'em for $160, which isn't bad, but still... I'm picking up a Tokina from another member for $80. While not the equal of the Tamron or the 3M-5CA, it seems to be decent. If my wife doesn't like it I can always get my money back out of it & try again.
Wow. The prices of these have rocketed since I bought mine 2 years ago. KEH (or B&H) seems like the best best. Good luck with the Tokina.
02-08-2012, 06:13 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Hi, I have a Tokina 500 mirror that I use with my K7. I was never thoroughly enthused with my pics from it - they always seemed a bit soft in comparison to what I saw from others posted in the Mirror Lens Club. I also have a recently acquired Russian 3M-5CA mirror which I absolutely love. My pics are sharper and despite the larger size of the 3M, I find myself being able to steady the lens better on hand-held shots.
02-08-2012, 06:54 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Don't waste money on the Tokina. The Tamron is a lot better optically.
04-01-2023, 11:08 AM   #12

Tokina vs Tamron 500mm Mirror Lens

This is an old conversation, but since I have both sitting in front of me, bought used, I thought I'd add my two cents worth:
The copy of the Tamron I have here (52BB) is a tad sharper and a tad more contrasty.
On the other hand, the copy at hand of the Tokina is no slouch, and would certainly do until the real thing came along!!
04-01-2023, 01:33 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've had both the Tokina and the Tamron. The Tokina I had gave pretty good results, but I had the chance of the Tamron at a good price, so I went for that. I think it's better built than the Tokina and I'd say it's a tad sharper too, but my Tokina certainly wasn't a disaster. I've read other views on mirror lenses over the years and there would seem to be quite a variation in the performance of particular models of these lenses - perhaps more so than "normal" lenses - so perhaps there's a bit of luck involved when you're buying a used model as you are here. Tokina lenses seem more common, so I think it's worth buying a Tokina if you see one at a reasonable price, but as an earlier poster recommended, you could then keep an eye out for a Tamron!

Incidentally, as you may know, the Tokina lens comes in specific camera fittings, though it's possible to swap the mounts from a non-working model if needed. The Tamron has the Tamron universal fitting, so you can convert it with the appropriate adaptor as required.

Best of luck!