Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2012, 05:05 PM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
And a newer trick.

6) LiveView. Stabilize the camera, throw a black cloth over the camera and my head, enlarge the image, and focus till it's sharp. Pretend the dSLR is a viewcam.
Priceless I'll try it next time I'll use my K-7 as a "Digital Back" on the 4x5. Normally I use a 20" HDTV monitor but it is a bit bulky.

02-09-2012, 05:09 PM   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by demp10 Quote
I think their cheapest ground rate is $9.99 and I live less than 10 miles from them. I usually wait to have several items so S/H is less than the total
Ditto here, it's just that they charge $30 for pickup so it's more
02-09-2012, 05:11 PM   #78
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Oh, man, a thread for the diehard bargain hunter!!
OK, I just snagged (but haven't received it yet) an M 50mm f/1.4. $51.00, free shipping. Condition described as "Excellent" and the glass and outside look very good in the photos.
Lenses I DO have and like;
A great AF cutie, the F 35-70mm f/3.5-4.5. $40.00. Sharp and blindingly-fast AF.
Another AF fun and useful lens, the Tamron/Pentax/Promaster 28-105mm f/4.0-5.6. I have the Promaster version, with a Tamron hood, used on a Pentax body. $59.00.
My M 100mm f/4.0 Macro cost exactly $100.00, and is worth every penny and more. Razor sharp, fast enough for macro and handy for driving nails.
FA 100-300mm f/4.7-5.8. Yes, it's got the tacky FA plastic finish but the optics are great and it performs like a lens costing much more. One of the best budget long tele zooms around. $91.00, shipping included.
Last but not least, the M 50mm f/1.7, $54.00, small, sharp and clean, a fantastic fifty!
Great thread, keep' em coming!
Ron
Literally just received and opened my F35-70 this evening. Still haven't tried it on the K-5 and am hoping its in good shape (looks used but ok at first look). Got it for <$35 shipped with an SF1 lens cap
02-09-2012, 05:29 PM   #79
MSL
Pentaxian

Focusing skills and lenses

I have a zillion lenses. 95% of them are MF and I use them A LOT. My eyeballs are delaminating; with some lenses, in some situations, I can barely see to compose, let alone focus. How do I do it? A combination of tricks.

1) Right after buying the K20D I got a cheap katzeye-clone focusing screen. This is useful with contrasty well-lit subjects. It often gets me into the vicinity of focus.
2) The green-hex Focus Confirmation signal tells me when I'm slipping into and out of focus. So, that takes me to a critical point.
3) CIF (catch-in-focus) is what I depend on. It nails the focus for me. And that's my troika of thin-DOF focus.

But I don't always need thin-DOF focus. So I use other older tricks.

4) Zone focus / hyperfocus. Set the aperture and focus for a desired DOF range. If DOF extends to infinity, it's called hyperfocus. Easy to do with old MF lenses.
5) Pace-off or guesstimate or actually measure the focus distance. I've done this for decades with old folders lacking a rangefinder. Or use an external RF.

And a newer trick.

6) LiveView. Stabilize the camera, throw a black cloth over the camera and my head, enlarge the image, and focus till it's sharp. Pretend the dSLR is a viewcam.

I shot for close to 50 years before possessing an autofocus camera. (And about 40 years before my first zoom.) Manual focus ain't no big thang. Photography had nothing BUT manual focus for its first 1 1/3 centuries. Generations of naive n00b snapshooters had nothing but. Eh, kids today are so lazy. [/me grumps away]
I think a zillion is an underestimate from what I've seen and read on this site.

Before I bought my Maxxum 9000 (all those years ago) it was a real toss up between that camera and an Olympus OM-1. I just couldn't get comfortable with the split screen focusing at the time, and didn't want to spend the money on a different focusing screen. So it isn't laziness as much as having had concerns about trying to develop the manual focus skills, and then not heading down that pathway.

I appreciate the tricks and suggestions. Earlier this evening I tried to manual focus my AF lens, but that green hexagon proved awfully elusive. Just have to keep practicing.

by the way, I heard a great story about an old time pro who used the pacing method to set the focus - he was so sharp he didn't even need to look through the viewfinder. 'course at the end of the shoot, he didn't have much of an answer when the model he was photographing asked him whether he needed to remove that black thingy from the front of his camera.

02-09-2012, 06:47 PM   #80
Site Supporter

New F 35-70mm User

Hello Doc, glad to hear you're a new owner! The 35-70mm "F" is one of my all-time Pentax favorites, it's just so much fun to use it should be against the law!
I even started a thread "A Lens With a Personality" that has several PF members agreeing about this lens and it's quirks and capabilities.
Regarding the lens-buying sources, maybe I'm not trying hard enough, but I never seem to have much luck on CraigsList and the camera shops around here have a pretty good idea of the value. Not many bargains.
My best "finds" have been pawn shops (most don't have any idea of the real value) and eBay. But I use a modified Rico system, a few Saved Searches "F 2.0 Pentax" is a good one but you have to wade through a zillion "50mm's" to find the occasional gem, or "Pentax lens, $1.00 to $100.00" is another. Then I bid low-ball and often. About a 40-1% of "Sorry, you've been outbid" to "Please pay for your purchase". Just won a Sigma Super Wide and an M f/1.4 fifty, both well under usual market price.
It's all fun!
Ron
02-09-2012, 07:01 PM   #81
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Literally just received and opened my F35-70 this evening. Still haven't tried it on the K-5 and am hoping its in good shape (looks used but ok at first look). Got it for <$35 shipped with an SF1 lens cap
You'll like it so much, that you'll start looking for its brother the F 35-105 also.

Enjoy!
02-09-2012, 09:45 PM   #82
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by morpho Quote
Are you guys using primarily evilbay to score these deals, or? Most of the stuff i find on ebay are seriously overpriced, it seems.
I got mine on eBay or bought new in the ancient past...

Steve
02-09-2012, 09:50 PM   #83
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ripit Quote
You don't necessarily have to have a focusing screen. The camera will tell you when it is in focus, and if you set it up for trap focus, it will not even let the camera fire unless it is in focus.
Unless, of course you actually want the subject in focus. AF (focus confirm and trap focus) is fine for moderate apertures, but wide open with many of the faster lenses and AF will miss focus much of the time. Sorry to say, but it was not until I got my Katz Eye that I started getting acceptable results on the K10D with my manual focus lenses.

Steve

02-09-2012, 09:52 PM   #84
Site Supporter

LiveView, the ultimate focusing device. Don't forget the focus loupe...

Steve
02-09-2012, 10:40 PM   #85

I have a zillion lenses. 95% of them are MF and I use them A LOT. My eyeballs are delaminating; with some lenses, in some situations, I can barely see to compose, let alone focus. How do I do it? A combination of tricks.

1) Right after buying the K20D I got a cheap katzeye-clone focusing screen. This is useful with contrasty well-lit subjects. It often gets me into the vicinity of focus.
2) The green-hex Focus Confirmation signal tells me when I'm slipping into and out of focus. So, that takes me to a critical point.
3) CIF (catch-in-focus) is what I depend on. It nails the focus for me. And that's my troika of thin-DOF focus.

But I don't always need thin-DOF focus. So I use other older tricks.

4) Zone focus / hyperfocus. Set the aperture and focus for a desired DOF range. If DOF extends to infinity, it's called hyperfocus. Easy to do with old MF lenses.
5) Pace-off or guesstimate or actually measure the focus distance. I've done this for decades with old folders lacking a rangefinder. Or use an external RF.

And a newer trick.

I shot for close to 50 years before possessing an autofocus camera. (And about 40 years before my first zoom.) Manual focus ain't no big thang. Photography had nothing BUT manual focus for its first 1 1/3 centuries. Generations of naive n00b snapshooters had nothing but. Eh, kids today are so lazy. [/me grumps away]
Of the three manual lenses I have. I was lucky to get the A35-105 and the K135 f2.5 each at 90$. The other lens is the M135 f3.5 which I also got for $90. Over priced perhaps as I now know they are very common and can be bought for 2 thirds of that price. The M135 was my first manual lens and I found that after a little practice it was quite easy to achieve acurate focus wide open as it is only f3.5. Also it is sharp enough wide open and very good for isolating the subject. I think this lens is pretty good value.

The K135, a recent purchase, is much more difficult to use wide open because it is f2.5. I can’t use catch in focus so I have to do it manually. Using tripod and live view for acurate focus I have found that it achieves optimum focus just after the green triangle indicator goes out.

So RioRico, have you adusted your manual lenses for front or backfocus using the adjustment in the camera body?
02-09-2012, 11:25 PM   #86
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
I think a zillion is an underestimate from what I've seen and read on this site.
Current statistics: 232 lenses on hand, 12 of those to be sold (hopefully), 120 lenses sold. 45 cameras on hand, 6 of those to be sold (hopefully), 31 cameras sold. (Many of the on-hand cameras were inherited or are childhood memoirs.)

QuoteQuote:
he didn't have much of an answer when the model he was photographing asked him whether he needed to remove that black thingy from the front of his camera.
Happens to the best of us and to the rest of us.

QuoteOriginally posted by everydaylife Quote
So RioRico, have you adusted your manual lenses for front or backfocus using the adjustment in the camera body?
So everydaylife, have you stopped dressing up your bunny as a musketeer?

FF and BF are AF issues. I always MF perfectly, except when I don't. The adjustments are all in my head. Whoops, the goes another one!
02-09-2012, 11:54 PM   #87

Current statistics: 232 lenses on hand, 12 of those to be sold (hopefully), 120 lenses sold. 45 cameras on hand, 6 of those to be sold (hopefully), 31 cameras sold. (Many of the on-hand cameras were inherited or are childhood memoirs.)

So everydaylife, have you stopped dressing up your bunny as a musketeer?

FF and BF are AF issues. I always MF perfectly, except when I don't. The adjustments are all in my head. Whoops, the goes another one!
Oops! I thought the AF indicators were related to catch in focus and therefore if as in the situation with my k135 the optimum focus and the focus indicator donít match then adjustments could be made and that this may be useful for the op to know.

By the way CIF on my K10d worked well but on my current K5 it is way out.
02-10-2012, 12:15 AM   #88
Veteran Member

A 50mm f2
02-10-2012, 02:26 AM   #89
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by everydaylife Quote
Oops! I thought the AF indicators were related to catch in focus and therefore if as in the situation with my k135 the optimum focus and the focus indicator don’t match then adjustments could be made and that this may be useful for the op to know.
Sorry if I seemed snide. I've had Focus Confirmation (FC) issues on my K20D only with very specific lens setups, not with MF lenses in general. I ran into such an issue today but it's not something that focus-adjustment would help. Specifically, I put a Schneider 0.7x wide adapter onto my M42 Tomioka 55/1.4. Results: EXTREME flare and CA, and zero CIF/FC accuracy. Remove the Schneider screw-on, and the Tomioka+CIF works fine.

EDIT: Hay, this is my post #8888!! My lucky number!

Last edited by RioRico; 02-10-2012 at 10:27 AM.
02-10-2012, 05:33 AM   #90
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Hello Doc, glad to hear you're a new owner! The 35-70mm "F" is one of my all-time Pentax favorites, it's just so much fun to use it should be against the law!
I even started a thread "A Lens With a Personality" that has several PF members agreeing about this lens and it's quirks and capabilities.
Regarding the lens-buying sources, maybe I'm not trying hard enough, but I never seem to have much luck on CraigsList and the camera shops around here have a pretty good idea of the value. Not many bargains.
My best "finds" have been pawn shops (most don't have any idea of the real value) and eBay. But I use a modified Rico system, a few Saved Searches "F 2.0 Pentax" is a good one but you have to wade through a zillion "50mm's" to find the occasional gem, or "Pentax lens, $1.00 to $100.00" is another. Then I bid low-ball and often. About a 40-1% of "Sorry, you've been outbid" to "Please pay for your purchase". Just won a Sigma Super Wide and an M f/1.4 fifty, both well under usual market price.
It's all fun!
Ron
QuoteOriginally posted by demp10 Quote
You'll like it so much, that you'll start looking for its brother the F 35-105 also.

Enjoy!
Thanks guys. It cleaned up real nicely and when I popped it on my K-x I took a couple Macro shots of my watch - thus combining my two hobbies. Wiped from a lot of driving and a tense consult yesterday so I just wanted to check it for functionality. Nice color rendition, snappy AF, descent macro IMHO.

The size adjustment took away some of the crispness of the photo No special lighting, only resized for upload, focus point was the word "SEIKO" on the dial, watch I had on my wrist on white paper with several SMCs as a bokeh check

I have the 28-105, is there an F35-105 too? I didn't know that - off to the database for me!