Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-10-2012, 10:12 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love my DA 10-17

02-10-2012, 10:19 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
yes, there is definitely processing in the examples i posted. The middle two are manual HDR's, two exposures blended together using layer masks. The top image is a single exposure but has had lots of "slider play" to kick up all the colors. The bottom image of the building is pretty much as shot, minimal processing applied.

The primary issue i've seen with wide angle lenses in general is they seem to be more prone to purple fringing than longer lenses. The DA10-17 will make PF on any areas of high contrast. Before i knew how to dial that out easily, i was spending much time with desaturating the PF with a brush tool; now i use the chromatic aberration correction tools in Camera Raw and Photoshop and it is fast.
02-10-2012, 10:58 AM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
Let's not ignore that there is some remarkable processing going on in Mike's shots up there. You aren't going to get those results right out of the camera! No matter what lens you throw on....
What grabbed me was the versatility of the pictures. Some had obvious fishiness and other not so much. That is what made me decide to wait for the DA 10-17mm. The colors are wonderful but were not in my reason for waiting.
02-12-2012, 09:30 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by smack1019 Quote
What grabbed me was the versatility of the pictures. Some had obvious fishiness and other not so much. That is what made me decide to wait for the DA 10-17mm. The colors are wonderful but were not in my reason for waiting.
Good, good! I think it is a very versatile lens, and obviously one can make amazing pictures with it. I just wanted to temper expectations... :-)

Mike, thanks for sharing a little about your excellent processing!

02-13-2012, 09:54 AM   #20
Pentaxian

I don't know whether to thank or curse you 10-17mm guys...I had been doing just fine staying away from those Fish Eye Fever threads and you all ruined it by posting those great photos here . So I broke down and ordered one for the second and last time...I won't even think of selling it this time. Once you're infected by the fever you never really get cured from it and try as you may to suppress it... it always comes back