Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2008, 07:51 AM   #1
Forum Member

Sigma 28mm f1.8 input requested

I stopped in my local camera shop this past weekend, and looked through their Pentax lenses. They didn't have hardly any pentax lenses (they said they've all been snatched up since Pentax came out with their digital cameras). They did however have a Sigma 28mm f1.8 with hood & case priced at 175.

This lens had the automtic aperture settings for use on my Super Program, and I'm not sure if it was their autofocus version or not.

Does anyone have any experience with this lens? It is a fast lens, but that does not really mean that you'll get great pictures out of this lens. Is the 175 asking price a realistic number? It did look to be in excellent condition, of course I would ask to shoot with it before purchasing.

01-02-2008, 08:37 AM   #2
Inactive Account

If it's in good condition, it's a good deal - Sigma | W/A 28mm f/1.8 EX Aspherical DG DF Macro AF Lens

As to whether a fast lens guarantees great shots, NOPE! You will be able to get faster shutter speeds in low light, at the expense of an extremely shallow DOF.

If you need a fast lens in that focal length, go for it! I'm interested in the 20mm f/1.8 that Sigma makes. I currently have a 10-20mm that's f/5.6 @20mm (yikes) and my two FAST lenses are 35mm and 50mm, so it would be nice to have a fast wide lens.
01-03-2008, 10:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I have the 28mm f/1.8 ex....
i have to look for some pics i took with it.

it is pretty speedy..and pretty sharp stopped down.....
that lens almost never leaves the k10...
it is pretty big tho, but for the price, i'd go for it

edit: is it this one..(like what egordon posted?...note, how much bigger it is compared to the "kit")

01-03-2008, 10:32 AM   #4
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by -=JoN=- Quote
I have the 28mm f/1.8 ex....
i have to look for some pics i took with it.

it is pretty speedy..and pretty sharp stopped down.....
that lens almost never leaves the k10...
it is pretty big tho, but for the price, i'd go for it

edit: is it this one..(like what egordon posted?...note, how much bigger it is compared to the "kit")

I have the previous version and I second your opinion. I would add that to manual focus this lens wide open is the closest to a IQ suicide that you can get. Stopped down a little is highly advisable and for the price is a steal. Only problem that I have is that I found the focus length ackward for my uses (when I use it in a dslr).

01-04-2008, 09:28 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Gruoso Quote
I have the previous version and I second your opinion. I would add that to manual focus this lens wide open is the closest to a IQ suicide that you can get. Stopped down a little is highly advisable and for the price is a steal. Only problem that I have is that I found the focus length ackward for my uses (when I use it in a dslr).
I also have an earlier version of the Sigma 28mm, High-Speed Wide 28mm 1:1.8II. It's a great lens stopped down to 2.8 but some CA in the corners. Recommended for low light work, here is a picture of it together with the FA50

Last edited by wavecurrent; 09-24-2008 at 04:31 AM.