Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2012, 04:20 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Was the displacement always in the same direction (a couple of mm to the right)?
If so, then it may be an issue of the framing in your film camera,
or a slight misalignment of its mount.
What is even the definition of off center here? There aren't predefined positions for the frames on 135 film. Unless zooming in a little cuts the circle off at the right but not at the left (and this is verified on the neg), I think scanning is more likely to blame.

For what it's worth, I tried my DA18-55WR on a film camera just now (just looking through the finder), and it seemed well centered. The front is a little wobbly though, moving it affects centering.

02-09-2012, 08:14 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by drougge Quote
What is even the definition of off center here?
No definition, just look at aurele's picture!

There aren't predefined positions for the frames on 135 film.
There's a mask in the camera behind which the film moves. That's the predefined frame.

Unless zooming in a little cuts the circle off at the right but not at the left (and this is verified on the neg), I think scanning is more likely to blame.
aurele's picture was taken at 18mm.
He didn't report any black border on the left at longer than 24mm,
so the issue appeared to be with the actual photograph, not the scan.
At any rate, it seems that a film image like this
might well be a good way to diagnose centering problems in APS-C lenses.

For what it's worth, I tried my DA18-55WR on a film camera just now (just looking through the finder), and it seemed well centered.
That's why I was asking aurele about the other lenses.
02-09-2012, 09:41 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote
...also consider the Cosina 3.5-4.5/19-35...
Thanks for mentioning this lens. I completely forgot about the various wide AF zooms that are actually pretty good, were made for 35mm film, and are not at all expensive. I bought the Tokina 19-35/3.5-4.5 (Review HERE) for my daughter several years ago to go with her K10D and almost gave her my DA 18-55 instead. They don't call it the "Plastic Fantastic" for nothing.

There are theories that the Tokina, Cosina, and a few others are all the same lens. I have my doubts. They have the same zoom and aperture ranges, but the materials and build quality is quite different between brands. Fortunately they are not expensive.

Steve
02-10-2012, 05:30 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Was the displacement always in the same direction (a couple of mm to the right)?
If so, then it may be an issue of the framing in your film camera,
or a slight misalignment of its mount.
you really want that bad that there might be a probleme somewhere ?

I have the same vigenting when i mount the 18-55 on my MZ-5n. i think there is no problem, just the lens is design like that.

edit :

- i've just checked the neg, the vigneting is off centrered too on it.
- The MZ-5n and the SuperA have VF that are sligly off centered on the right in fact. When i look into the VF i have the same "amount" of vignetting on each side, but when i do a shoot with the "film door" open, i can see i have more vigneting on the left.
- there is no vigneting at all after 24mm.
- i will try other DA lenses ASAP, but i only have so far the 35/2.4 which is totally FF (no vignetting at all, which is so fuc*ing greta i have to say) and the 40/2.8 wich is FF too (the design since the K version is the same.)

Last edited by aurele; 02-10-2012 at 05:38 AM.