Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2008, 02:36 PM   #61
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SCGushue Quote
Ben,

This is probably not impossible.

You should have talked with Stanley Kubreck when you had a chance

If you have ever seen his movie Barry Linden Kubreck had a custom designed lens so that he could shoot an enitire scene by candle light alone. While the very small focal length of the lens escapes me at the moment, the lens was an f 0.8. Now that is a bugger of a lens.

The scene was beautifully done. Worth seeing the movie just to seewhat this lens was capable of doing. I only remember this little tidbit because I was relatively new to the profession back then and I wasn't really aware (with technology being what it was in the 70's) that you could move exponentially to the negative side of f1.0.

I have often wondered where this lens is today. Probably lost in a box and resting next to the Covenant of the Lost Ark in some D.C. warehouse

Stephen
Got interested and did a little research, I really like Kubrick's work. Looks like that was a Zeiss 50mm f0.7, originally developed for the NASA. The exposure used was 1/51 @ f/0.7, ISO 100, and the film push processed one stop. He also used an improvised WA adaptor to get a 36.5mm FOV.

This page has all the details: Untitled Document

Enjoy your weekend!

01-05-2008, 03:10 PM   #62

Photos: Gallery
A 6 or 8mm would be a great alternative to the Peleng.
01-05-2008, 06:34 PM   #63
Inactive Account

Pentax could use a 50mm f/1.8 to lure newbies into SLR's, this lens being around 150$ CDN.
I would also love a prime in the 8-12 range, with little distortion , speed not really an issue.
01-05-2008, 07:54 PM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SCGushue Quote
[...]
The scene was beautifully done. Worth seeing the movie just to seewhat this lens was capable of doing. I only remember this little tidbit because I was relatively new to the profession back then and I wasn't really aware (with technology being what it was in the 70's) that you could move exponentially to the negative side of f1.0.

I have often wondered where this lens is today. Probably lost in a box and resting next to the Covenant of the Lost Ark in some D.C. warehouse

Stephen
I believe there is a short clip of that scene at 0:58 on this youtube clip:

YouTube - Barry Lyndon (Trailer)

01-05-2008, 10:11 PM   #65
Veteran Member

I'd like to see a 16mm f/2.8 rectilinear
01-05-2008, 10:19 PM   #66
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rickster Quote
I'd like to see a 16mm f/2.8 rectilinear
The closest I could come is the DA* 16-50 f/2.8. There is more distortion than one would hope for in a 16mm prime, though.
01-05-2008, 10:30 PM   #67
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ricardobeat Quote
Got interested and did a little research, I really like Kubrick's work. Looks like that was a Zeiss 50mm f0.7, originally developed for the NASA. The exposure used was 1/51 @ f/0.7, ISO 100, and the film push processed one stop. He also used an improvised WA adaptor to get a 36.5mm FOV.

This page has all the details: Untitled Document

Enjoy your weekend!
Thanks for refreshing the details. Well, 30 plus years let the facts slip just a little, but I was close. Now those facts will hopefully remain if I can cheat death for another 30 years

Stephen
01-05-2008, 10:35 PM   #68
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Duck Dodgers Quote
I believe there is a short clip of that scene at 0:58 on this youtube clip:

YouTube - Barry Lyndon (Trailer)
Mike,

Thanks for the link. I went there and viewed the clip. It reminded me of just how magnificent the photography and set designs were. It was a probably the most artistically perfect movie I have ever seen. Unfortunately, it starred Ryan O'Neil.

May need to see this movie on DVD again.

Some of those dame's look like Ben's models

Stephen

01-10-2008, 12:01 PM   #69
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Not really a dream lens, but more a dream idea:

Since every Canyon shooter keeps buying up Pentax glass and hacking off bits to put them on their Canons, I say Pentax should get the licence to the EOS mount, make a few lenses with it, then add the cost of licencing onto said lens. And then add, oh, about 150% on top of that.

Those idiots will buy 'em, and it should ensure a nice enough profit to churn back into R&D.
Yes. Canon users of today are much akin to Leica users. Pretty dang snooty.
01-10-2008, 05:39 PM   #70
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
You are mostly right, Andreas but you remember those FA* lenses are way more expensive to produce or assemble than DA/DA*.

Those are all full metal jacket (duh... ) lenses and if I rememeber correctly yhose FA* were assembled by hand
Just imagine the price, even if they do not make the parts anymore...
01-10-2008, 06:36 PM   #71

We need updated super long glass!

I'm getting very tired of seeing every 20 year old Pentax lens over 300mm long getting bid up to ridiculous levels on Ebay. We are long overdue for an updating of the 600mm f/4 lens. A DA* 600 f/4 would put Pentax in the big leagues again.
01-10-2008, 07:15 PM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tbear Quote
I'm getting very tired of seeing every 20 year old Pentax lens over 300mm long getting bid up to ridiculous levels on Ebay. We are long overdue for an updating of the 600mm f/4 lens. A DA* 600 f/4 would put Pentax in the big leagues again.
Well ...given the 1.5X multiplier, I would be quite happy if they had something around 400mm/F4 but we need some tele extenders also. It would seem plausible now with the 1.5 multiplier that perhaps 500 is the top end we might see.

Mike.
01-10-2008, 07:21 PM   #73
and
Veteran Member

Some good TC's.

DFA 135mm f2
DA 20mm f2
DFA 85mm f1.4
01-10-2008, 09:41 PM   #74
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Tbear Quote
Nine for ten, that'll be a Canon user bidding for it.

What annoys me more is people bidding for a camera set with a f2 50mm K, skyrocketing the price, after they've asked if it will fit on a Canon.

And then you know the winner's just gonna chuck the ME Super body that came with it...
01-10-2008, 09:47 PM   #75
and
Veteran Member

The FA 600 is still available new, so is the FA 300. Dont say they should make a new version unless you could actually afford one....

I dont say they should make a 500mm f2.8 because there is no way I could ever afford one if it existed anyway. And if so few users are buying the existing 600 and 300 that they are only built by request then they are not likely to put those back in mass production.