Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2012, 08:50 AM   #1

k mount Lens shopping Help

Hey guys i am looking to buy a new lens for my pentax k-x. I have a budget for around $500. I am wanting a new lens to cover the folowing senerios: Low lighting, sports, macro and portraits. i know one lens wont cover it all so if i had to pic i would pic that the most valuable to me would be sports, but please help out for each of the senerios as well if possible. i just need an idea of a good lens that i will be pleased with considering this is the largest sum i have ever spent on one lens. i have only bought older mf lenses from flea markets and pawn shops for around 20 bucks a lens. but im ready to get something newer and something with autofocus. so if you have any ideas please help me out. if you recomend a lens feel free to post some sample photos if you have the lens.

Thanks,
Carlyn

02-09-2012, 08:59 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
New and AF...
Macro - Tamron 90 for $410.
Sports - Tamron/Sigma 70-200 for $730+, Pentax 55-300 for $350.
Portraits - 50-90mm range (Tamron 90 macro or Sigma 70 or similar can do double duty here)
Low light - FA 50 for $350 (can be used for portraits).

All lens sample shots are here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-sample-photo-archive/
02-09-2012, 09:00 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by carlyn.warnock Quote
Hey guys i am looking to buy a new lens for my pentax k-x. I have a budget for around $500. I am wanting a new lens to cover the folowing senerios: Low lighting, sports, macro and portraits. i know one lens wont cover it all so if i had to pic i would pic that the most valuable to me would be sports, but please help out for each of the senerios as well if possible. i just need an idea of a good lens that i will be pleased with considering this is the largest sum i have ever spent on one lens. i have only bought older mf lenses from flea markets and pawn shops for around 20 bucks a lens. but im ready to get something newer and something with autofocus. so if you have any ideas please help me out. if you recomend a lens feel free to post some sample photos if you have the lens.

Thanks,
Carlyn
The ideal lens for you would probably be the Tamron 70-200 f/2.8, but it's just a bit out of your price range. Maybe secondhand...

Tamron 70-200mm F2.8 Di LD Macro Lens Reviews - Tamron Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

I would also consider the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 macro.

Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 AF XR Di LD Macro SP Lens Reviews - Tamron Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

For outdoor sports the Tamron or Sigma 70-300 purple monsters would probably be adequate, and you can find those for $100 or less used.
02-09-2012, 10:06 AM   #4
Pentaxian

What kind of sports? Outdoors, indoors?

02-09-2012, 10:11 AM   #5

Original Poster
The sports are mainly indoor. Most are elementary games in low light gyms.
And the games I have got good shots at are contaminated with noise! Im really tired of noise
02-09-2012, 10:16 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And the games I have got good shots at are contaminated with noise! Im really tired of noise
I would think that the 28-75 would be long enough for that. In an elementary school gym you are going to be close to the action. It would double nicely as a portrait lens, and it has close focus capabilities, though not as close as the kit lens. You could add a Raynox for macro.

The Tamron 90 is a step up, but not as versatile. And it might be a bit long in a small gym.

Last edited by boriscleto; 02-09-2012 at 10:22 AM.
02-09-2012, 10:30 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Would be a good idea to go over photos you have taken in the gym to see what focal length would work best.Whatever you get should be at least a constant 2.8.
Jake

02-09-2012, 10:42 AM   #8
Veteran Member

How close are you to the action (or allowed to be if you had to get nearer) ?

Samples : check the PF Lens databases as SpecialK already linked to above (much better than asking for samples in this thread).

Low light : - For your money the Sigma 30/1.4 is a superb lens and goes everywhere with me (great for low light, street shooting, portraits, tourist stuff and so on .... If you prefer a slightly longer FL then the FA 50/1.4 but that is a slight tele on APS-C.

Low light sports :- If you are close to the action then the FA 50/1.4 will work. If you are very close (court-side) then the Sigma 30/1.4 is an amazing lens and you can easily make big crops and still retain excellent detail/sharpness. At a pinch the Tamron 90 could do this (and cover 3 of the 4 categories you are considering) but note the focusing is not as fast as some other lenses here (but it does have a focus limiter which helps a lot when using a macro lens for something other than macro). If you need a zoom then the Tamron 70-200/2.8 is a great lens but a little slow for dim basketball courts (for example). I still think you can choose a couple of older, faster and much cheaper MF lenses and prefocus on the area of the action you want to shoot as most AF still won't keep up with the action in low light unless you are court side or close to it or up your ISO to give you the faster shutter speeds you'll need. The 55-300 is to be avoided indoors - much too slow. The Tamron 28-75/2.8 could also be considered in this category too if you are close to the court .. it'll give you some interesting group / bench shots.

Macro :- Tamron 90 or add a Raynox 150 or 250 (depending on how close you want to get) to any lens you have now.

Portraits : Tamron 28-75/2.8 is the wedding togs lens so you can't go wrong. If you want to go the prime route then the Tamron 90 can double as a portrait lens (superb bokeh and it's f2.8 so not too shabby). Most people recommend the FA 50/1.4 which is an excellent lens for the money and the f1.4 adds better low light capability and much lower DoF.

Conclusion : Tamron 28-75/2.8 & a Raynox 150 or 250 will cover at least 3 of your categories.
02-09-2012, 11:34 AM   #9

Original Poster
would the sigma 30 be good for sports? im liking the look of the sample photos ive seen
02-09-2012, 12:23 PM   #10

Original Poster
i am aloud to be right on the out of bounds line so to get close is no problem
02-09-2012, 01:13 PM   #11
Veteran Member

i am aloud to be right on the out of bounds line so to get close is no problem
What sports?Probably be good for volleyball but might be short for basketball.
Jake
02-09-2012, 02:26 PM   #12
Veteran Member

would the sigma 30 be good for sports? im liking the look of the sample photos ive seen
Here's a few from the 30 ..... these will crop well ...

and for fun ....... !

02-09-2012, 03:48 PM   #13

Tamron 70-200 f2.8

...has my vote for what you need, at least in part. I bought one for a smidge over $500 used and it's in like-new condition.

That would eat all your budget, though.

Mike
02-09-2012, 04:33 PM   #14
Veteran Member

It also help if you mentioned which lenses you already and, and show some samples of the pictures (with Exif intact) you are not happy with. It's entirely possible just better technique (both shooting and PP) with what you have already could save you a lot of money.
02-09-2012, 05:03 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Secondhand Tamron 70-200 f2.8 or Sigma 70-200 f2.8 would be ideal.