Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2008, 02:12 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Got a new lens today :D

So, nothing special but I picked up my first 50mm prime today.

The M 50mm f/2.0

I've been walking around the house and since I only have the kit lens and a telephoto that's 4-5.6 I'm amazed at being able to take pictures in my house in low light places with such ease.

I hope to get more 50's eventually, (hopefully the FA 50mm 1.4 after this) but this one will surely hold me over

01-02-2008, 04:12 PM   #2
Forum Member

Dont let anyone tell you it aint

special Buschmaster! I have had the same lens for just over a week and im very, very happy with the results.

The lens reviews can be daunting and make you believe that the lens is the limiting factor for the final image. This is not true i believe, software and attention to capture methods can iron out the creases.

Enjoy the lens brother and allow your creativity to soar

Image 1, Wife in the Kitchen, spur of the moment

Image 2, 50mm plus 56mm of extension tubes

Peter
Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D Super  Photo 
01-02-2008, 08:52 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Great shots

Those are great shots that I truly admire at the b&w and your 2nd shot is just as amazing. What is in the 2nd shot? I don't know what it is but it look very sharp. I heard many things about the extension tubes for Macro, can you clue me in on using extension tubes for macro with the 50mm. Which macro method is better: extension tube or the close up filter. I mean it for the inexpensive mind who want to learn with the cheaper alternative in the beginning like I do

Sale thread has my casual test pictures in f/2.0 wide open setting

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographer-s-marketplace/17087-fs-pentax-smc-1-2-50mm.html

I just sell my SMC-A 50mm f/2.0 to another member for $40 and he is very concerned on how good the lens is. When I tested it, I thought highly on the lens as and I recall people giving it a mediocre rating. I am struggled to believe what others have said. I have untrained eyes and I am usually not too picky on lens as I get all cheaper alternatives for my passion

Inexpensive gear with Pentax - Hin's Tech Corner

Thanks,
Hin
01-02-2008, 09:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Awesome pictures Spooked!

And I've seen yours hinman, and wanted to buy it, but basically didn't because I had a gift card to the local camera store

I am really liking the lens so far. I'll take a better look at it and take some pictures tomorrow and post them here!

01-03-2008, 12:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
In honor of your post when I went for my afternoon hike-n-shoot I took along my A 50/2. Transfering the files now....
01-03-2008, 03:12 AM   #6
Forum Member

Thanks Buschmaster, im looking forward to seeing them!
01-03-2008, 04:32 AM   #7
Forum Member

Thanks Hin, the second shot are some died wildflowers. I can only speak on the subject of extention tubes as i have not tried close up filters.
The concencus is that tubes produce a better image because there is no extra glass to magnify any defects that may exist in your lens. I find the tubes to be reliable and straightforward to use once you have accepted there limitations. Shallow DOF, even at f22.

I use Pentax manual tubes and im having great fun with the setup. Any more questions Hin? Dont hesitate to ask.

Regards

Peter

01-03-2008, 07:47 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I have the same lens and I love it! I also use it together with my 55mm extension tubes to get a slightly larger than life image. I have the M 50/1.4, but I use my 50/2 more often. I find it sharper and much more compact.
01-03-2008, 07:50 AM   #9
Veteran Member

A very underrated lens, in my opinion -- welcome to the world of prime lens fanaticism.

Let the LBA begin!
01-03-2008, 08:31 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
LBA has been around for a while

I just don't have any money for lenses! Which is probably a good thing, because if I had the money I'd buy too many lenses rather than using it on stuff that would probably be a bit more practical at that point. :P
01-04-2008, 02:59 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Pentax MTF results

I found the original pentax results could someone please interpret these and give an insight as to what it means in the real world.

Thanks many times over
Peter
Attached Images