Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2012, 02:50 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxk1000denver Quote
The lens is not that good? Huh, according to the reviews of it on this site, it's pretty good. The reason I've been looking for one is they go for about half what a K 24/2.8 goes for (or less) and it sounded like a good manual focus lens judging by those reviews. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and overspend on the K or A 24/2.8 I've yet to pay over $100 for a lens. I don't have a camera with aperture priority or auto anything, so I don't really care about auto aperture or any special features. I just want a good wide angle manual focus lens. I may mess around with it and see if I can fix it, or maybe I'll buy a Minolts SRT for $20 or so, or maybe I'll just try to sell it or stick it in a drawer and move on. Thanks for the input.
In the photo processing software forum the is a thread where I compared different CA correction software, I used the sigma mini wide II 28mm lens as the test subject due to the terrible CA

02-10-2012, 03:32 PM   #17

Original Poster
The mini wide ii and the super wide ii are not the same lens, though. I see the mini wide ii is rated a bit lower than the super wide ii on here. Aberrrations are rated 7.5 for the mini and 8.8 for the super.
02-10-2012, 04:03 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxk1000denver Quote
I know it seems easy enough to find a k-mount wide angle lens, and I've tried. For one, I don't want a cheap, low quality lens. I intend to buy something I can be happy with for some time.
I've also had more problems with broken wides than with other focal ranges, but that may have to do more with who sells what and why, than with any inherent shortcomings with the builds. I've had a Vivitar-Kiron 24/2 (PK-M mount) that was stuck wide open, and another that's just fine. I've had two M42 Lentar-Tokina 25/3.5s that were both stuck wide open. But I also had (and sold for a good profit) an M42 Sigma-Z 24/2.8 that was fine, as are my Adaptall-2 Albinar-Sigma 24/2.8 and an M42 Paragon-Cimko 24/2.8.

The only conclusion I can draw is that some people sell crappy lenses and admit they're crappy, and some don't.