Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-10-2012, 11:56 AM   #1
Veteran Member

What happened to Voigtlander?

Did they stop making Pentax mount lenses?

Very hard to find.

02-10-2012, 12:15 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes they did, so did Zeiss. Pick them up while you've got the chance.

Hopefully a Pentax FF will be announced this year...it's the only way I could see Cosina (who makes Voigtlander and Zeiss) bringing back K mount versions.
02-10-2012, 12:23 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes they have stopped making K mount lenses, but they can still be found. I bought mine (I have 3, a Nokton, an Ultron and a Color- Skopar ) all from a place called Hong Kong Buy and Sell. HKBNS do sell on ebay but at a premium if you go directly to their website ( Hong Kong Buy and Sell Limited ) they sell at the cheapest price anywhere on the web and are great to deal with.
Good luck, Glenn
02-10-2012, 12:27 PM   #4

They made sweet lenses but they dumped Pentax because there is no Full Frame option. Why buy a MF 40 f2 when the 40 2.8 is smaller, and AF? Hopefully Pentax pulls their heads out of the sand and makes a full frame camera so Pentax users will once again be able to enjoy the truly excellent CV optics. Their 40mm 2.0 is a gem...still though...I'd buy the 43 if they go full frame. :-)

02-10-2012, 12:29 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by G and T Quote
Yes they have stopped making K mount lenses, but they can still be found. I bought mine (I have 3, a Nokton, an Ultron and a Color- Skopar ) all from a place called Hong Kong Buy and Sell. HKBNS do sell on ebay but at a premium if you go directly to their website ( Hong Kong Buy and Sell Limited ) they sell at the cheapest price anywhere on the web and are great to deal with.
Good luck, Glenn

I was worried they sell knockoffs.
02-10-2012, 12:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sperdynamite Quote
They made sweet lenses but they dumped Pentax because there is no Full Frame option. Why buy a MF 40 f2 when the 40 2.8 is smaller, and AF? Hopefully Pentax pulls their heads out of the sand and makes a full frame camera so Pentax users will once again be able to enjoy the truly excellent CV optics. Their 40mm 2.0 is a gem...still though...I'd buy the 43 if they go full frame. :-)
The Voigtlander Macro APO-Lanthar 125mm f2.5 was a good seller. Why did they stop making it?
02-10-2012, 12:31 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good luck, Glenn
Wow dude, that's awesome. Great post. Too bad there aren't any Lanthars!

02-10-2012, 12:35 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slackercruster Quote
The Voigtlander Macro APO-Lanthar 125mm f2.5 was a good seller. Why did they stop making it?
Actually I heard it wasn't a good seller at release. It wasn't until it became hard to find that it became so popular. From what I can tell, MF lenses significantly gained popularity in the last five years or so (outside of the Leica crowd of course).

Now why they haven't re-released it... *shrug*
02-10-2012, 12:41 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sperdynamite Quote
they dumped K mount because they have limited capacity and they launched m4/3 lenses which they felt had a wider audience ( and they had their limited sales history on the k mount to look at). m4/3 definitely has more share than k mount currently (that will change quite possibly)
All 3rd party guys have been launching m4/3 lenses and they all have also cut the number of Pentax mount models
I think we will see them all coming back with k mount in 2014 giving ricoh a reasonable chance to grow the brand and making it worth their while to pursue (Sigma is by far the biggest 3rd party and has the capacity to keep supplying a large number of models, but lately there have been new versions coming out where the k mount is no longer made - whether that is just a matter of a later introduction to allow clearing the previous version or not remains to be seen)
02-10-2012, 12:57 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Yes HKBNS do still sell Lanthars, I just haven't got around to adding to my Voigtlander collection.
Voigtlander LBA you've got to love it. Glenn
02-10-2012, 01:25 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes HKBNS do still sell Lanthars, I just haven't got around to adding to my Voigtlander collection.
Voigtlander LBA you've got to love it. Glenn
Maybe I looked in the wrong place on their site but I couldn't find this:
Voigtlander Macro APO-Lanthar 125mm f2.5

Of course, when there are some for "sale", they aren't "on sale" ever!

JP
02-10-2012, 01:28 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Maybe I looked in the wrong place on their site but I couldn't find this:
Voigtlander Macro APO-Lanthar 125mm f2.5

Of course, when there are some for "sale", they aren't "on sale" ever!

JP
He's refering to the 90mm lanthar (which I had forgotten was a lanthar). A good lens, but perhaps a bit slow for the price...
02-10-2012, 01:42 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The funny thing is that Voigtlander lenses were only made for Nikon and Pentax mount for a long time. It was only just before they gave up making Pentax-mount versions that they started making Canon-mount ones. I can't help wondering what the story was there, because the market for Canon-mount lenses was always going to be bigger than either of the other two versions.

I have an SL58/1.4, and the pictures it provides are noticeably different to other lenses in this focal length range (mostly the strength of the blues, I think), but nonetheless appealing, to me. Although I now also have a very nice A50/1.2, I'm reluctant to pass on the Voigtlander because of that difference.
02-10-2012, 01:53 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
The funny thing is that Voigtlander lenses were only made for Nikon and Pentax mount for a long time. It was only just before they gave up making Pentax-mount versions that they started making Canon-mount ones. I can't help wondering what the story was there, because the market for Canon-mount lenses was always going to be bigger than either of the other two versions.

I have an SL58/1.4, and the pictures it provides are noticeably different to other lenses in this focal length range (mostly the strength of the blues, I think), but nonetheless appealing, to me. Although I now also have a very nice A50/1.2, I'm reluctant to pass on the Voigtlander because of that difference.
manual K mount lens is no longer subject to copyright control (later A and AF versions are) same with the nikons they made
I'm not sure if the basic EF Mount is Public domain yet, but maybe they just reverse engineered it like everyone else (simpler to since no need to engineer af controls)
Cosina also made a K mount SLR or 2 fully manual (still may actually)

I think Cosina is adapting their business model to more modern realities now (when they started with K mount Pentax had much bigger share and requirements are very similar to a Nikon Manual focus (you can actually make the nikon fit easily with no mods on a pentax body but a small mod will help it lock)
02-10-2012, 01:55 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I agree. I had the SL58/1.4 and A50/1.2 at the same time (in fact the same A50/1.2 ) and they certainly each had their own look. Can't say one was "better" than the other, but they were both excellent lenses.