Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-10-2012, 01:56 PM   #16
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's says you can still get the 90mm, but I would ask B&H on the forum to check:
Voigtlander 90mm F/3.5 SL II APO-Lanthar Lens BA290K B&H Photo

Yup, they decided to stop making these for Pentax, sadly. A FF won't come out this year, but I would be willing to bet that the same can't be said about 2013.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-10-2012, 02:11 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
manual K mount lens is no longer subject to copyright control
Copyright? Perhaps you mean patent? It was my understanding that Pentax, while holding the patent for the Zeiss/Pentax design, released usage rights for both body and lens from the beginning. This was extended for lens-only with the later types. That explains why non-Pentax K-mount cameras were on the market from the very beginning.

Steve
02-10-2012, 02:15 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Adam, do you not put any credence in the May-Sept FF announcement as suggested in the photorumors article (the one where they first mentioned K-01 being a brick)? Of course the release may still be '13.

BTW, the CZ 25/2 is looking sensational, here's hoping in a couple years we can pick up a K version.
02-10-2012, 02:16 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
He's refering to the 90mm lanthar (which I had forgotten was a lanthar). A good lens, but perhaps a bit slow for the price...
Ah! OK. I misread the post then.

Still, the 125 APO is quite a beast, isn't it?

JP

02-10-2012, 02:20 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Ah! OK. I misread the post then.

Still, the 125 APO is quite a beast, isn't it?

JP
Possibly the best lens ever made for that FL IMHO. I consider it the only lens that could replace my Bokina.

(Of course this is ridiculously subjective)
02-10-2012, 03:55 PM   #21

I wish I had gotten their 180mm f4 Lanthar a couple years ago when it sold for like 400-500$. I had to wait like 5 months to find my Pentax-A 20mm f2.8 but the voigtlander is impossible to find. And if you find it, usually over 800$.

I want it badly.
02-10-2012, 05:38 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
manual K mount lens is no longer subject to copyright control (later A and AF versions are) same with the nikons they made
I'm not sure if the basic EF Mount is Public domain yet, but maybe they just reverse engineered it like everyone else (simpler to since no need to engineer af controls)
Cosina also made a K mount SLR or 2 fully manual (still may actually)

I think Cosina is adapting their business model to more modern realities now (when they started with K mount Pentax had much bigger share and requirements are very similar to a Nikon Manual focus (you can actually make the nikon fit easily with no mods on a pentax body but a small mod will help it lock)
I'm sure you're right about market realities, but the SL versions of the K-mount Voigtlanders were auto-aperture, and the SLII versions also included lens information, so, was there anything else needed to make them more completely like the Pentax A lenses, and therefore subject to copyright or patent control, as you suggest?

02-11-2012, 07:44 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slackercruster Quote
I was worried they sell knockoffs.
And where have you seen these knock-off lenses ? I have lived in China for 16 years and have never seen a knock-off lens nor have I ever heard of a knock-off lens. It's not something you can easily copy like a LV scarf !
02-11-2012, 12:55 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
It's not something you can easily copy like a LV scarf !
Ha! Ha! Or a Gitzo tipod...

The point is well, taken, however. Generally, complex niche products are not worth the effort.

Steve
02-11-2012, 08:34 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I know the local Voigtlander agent who know the folks at the Cosina factory well. According to him, Cosina is not a big company and they have limited production capacity. The lion's share of Cosina's business is making projector lenses and apparently they are the market leader.

When the Voigtlander SL range were first introduced, they didn't sell particularly well. It took some time for Pentax and other mount users to discover the excellent optical performance of these lenses. For the most part most Canikon users were already mostly using AF lenses, so for many the manual focus only lenses didn't get much traction. For Pentax users, most don't know about Voigtlander lenses, aren't prepared to spend the cost of a Voigtlander or have difficulty getting access to one. By the time the Voigtlanders achieved cult like status, production run was already coming to an end as Cosina was already commited to produce the Zeiss Z series lenses. Much as 35mm manual focus SLR is preferred by some, it nonetheless is a dwindling market when compared to AF, the rangefinder or the mirrorless segments which is why the Voigtlander SL range were discontinued.
02-11-2012, 08:39 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
And where have you seen these knock-off lenses ? I have lived in China for 16 years and have never seen a knock-off lens nor have I ever heard of a knock-off lens. It's not something you can easily copy like a LV scarf !
Look at the fake slabbed coins they make in China. They fool the experts. China fakes everything.

http://coins.about.com/od/coingrading/ig/Fake-PCGS-Slab-Diagnostics/

Last edited by slackercruster; 02-11-2012 at 08:46 PM.
02-11-2012, 08:41 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
I know the local Voigtlander agent who know the folks at the Cosina factory well. According to him, Cosina is not a big company and they have limited production capacity. The lion's share of Cosina's business is making projector lenses and apparently they are the market leader.

When the Voigtlander SL range were first introduced, they didn't sell particularly well. It took some time for Pentax and other mount users to discover the excellent optical performance of these lenses. For the most part most Canikon users were already mostly using AF lenses, so for many the manual focus only lenses didn't get much traction. For Pentax users, most don't know about Voigtlander lenses, aren't prepared to spend the cost of a Voigtlander or have difficulty getting access to one. By the time the Voigtlanders achieved cult like status, production run was already coming to an end as Cosina was already commited to produce the Zeiss Z series lenses. Much as 35mm manual focus SLR is preferred by some, it nonetheless is a dwindling market when compared to AF, the rangefinder or the mirrorless segments which is why the Voigtlander SL range were discontinued.

What happened to Zeiss? Did they stop making lenses too? Cosina is making everything?
02-11-2012, 09:00 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Much as 35mm manual focus SLR is preferred by some, it nonetheless is a dwindling market when compared to AF.
Video seems to have reversed that trend to a certain extent. Cosina/Zeiss are certainly developing new lenses for DSLRs, like the 25mm/2 and 35mm/1.4.
02-11-2012, 09:25 PM   #29

There wasn't any reason for Zeiss to make lenses for Canon until they were ready to provide EF-mount support for auto-aperture, etc. Without that, Canon owners would have gained nothing over using the ZF versions with an adapter, so Zeiss didn't bother. (Apparently, the EF-mount is more difficult to support than F-mount; Samyang have said as much in explaining why they have CPU-enhanced versions of their lenses for Nikon but not yet for Canon.)

Zeiss does still manufacture selected products in Germany, mostly high-end and cine stuff I believe.

Hopefully, the Ricoh takeover will encourage some of the lens manufacturers to make K-mount versions again.
02-11-2012, 09:29 PM   #30
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

FWIW, try this website. No idea about reliability but they are listing some K mounts at, for Voigtlander, reasonable prices. I did get a 40mm and a 58mm here on the forum - they're fine lenses. Tempted periodically by the 90mm but maybe Ken Rockwell has given me sober second thought on his review of the CaNikon (literally) version.