Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2012, 12:43 PM   #1
Site Supporter

DA 18-135mm after DxO Treatment

So I decided to splurge and get the DA 18-135mm because I wanted a Jack of All Trades lens with weather sealing.

I also understand that it has been panned for its mediocre IQ.

My question is, who has had their 18-135mm images processed by DXO, and how were the results?

Reason I ask, is that i used to have the Sigma 10-20mm for Nikon, and DXO worked wonders for that lens, and there is no way the 18-135 is more distorted or softer than that beast.
I think the 18-135mm might be a real gem with the DXO treatment. Thoughts?

02-10-2012, 01:07 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do they support the lens? I briefly looked over their page but I can't find the part where it tells you what lenses were supported on what cameras. I just remember looking in a year ago and not finding many Pentax lenses supported... and cancelling their updates because it became clear from their updates they weren't adding new Pentax lens and camera combinations. I believe I even posted a thread called "DxO are Canikon fanboys" or something like that.
02-10-2012, 01:21 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Anyway with other SW you can achieve the same effect, it is just not that quick and simple.
02-10-2012, 02:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Do they support the lens? I briefly looked over their page but I can't find the part where it tells you what lenses were supported on what cameras. I just remember looking in a year ago and not finding many Pentax lenses supported... and cancelling their updates because it became clear from their updates they weren't adding new Pentax lens and camera combinations. I believe I even posted a thread called "DxO are Canikon fanboys" or something like that.
Perhaps their support is for the 3rd party lenses because they have Canon and Nikon mounts? The OP mentioned the Sigma UWA not a Pentax lens.

02-10-2012, 03:33 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Perhaps their support is for the 3rd party lenses because they have Canon and Nikon mounts? The OP mentioned the Sigma UWA not a Pentax lens.
Let me clarify, I used DXO on the sigma lens for my D90.

DXO v7 (not 6 or prior), does support all DA* lenses, the 18-55 kit lens and the 18-135 lens. There are other Pentax lenses supported, but I cant remember off the top my head which ones they are.

However, there are no 3rd party lenses supported.
02-11-2012, 08:12 AM   #6
cpk
Site Supporter

I wouldn't consider DxO Canikon fanboys. They have good support for Pentax, but it isn't complete. They are, however, adding Pentax lenses all the time. It's probably a matter of resources and demand. I tested the 18-135 lens with DxO while I still had the chance to return the lens if I was not happy. The edge sharpening provided by DxO is significant. The lens is now my main carry-around lens when I carry Pentax.
02-11-2012, 08:32 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Edge sharpening is built into my presets in Aperture. I do my colour corrections contrast, etc. in one push of the button, with different presets for wildlife, fall colours etc... the idea of using software for sharpening alone just seems odd. I use the most appropriate preset and adjust everything with the slider bars for fine tuning. The only thing they could possibly offer me would be automated lens correction.. and unless they support all my lenses, not the 2 out of 7 they do, I don't need them.
02-11-2012, 08:40 AM - 1 Like   #8
cpk
Site Supporter

A sample of DxO treatment (upper right-hand corner of the photograph at 150%):

Attached Images

02-11-2012, 10:07 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That's a very good treatment indeed!
02-11-2012, 10:47 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks CPK! Yea, I am sold
02-11-2012, 11:17 AM   #11
cpk
Site Supporter

Thanks for your comments. The lens isn't perfect but; for the price, it has a good zoom range and other features, such as the weather resistance. It replaced the 17-70 as my carry-around lens. The latter is a better lens but has a shorter zoom range and no WR; it's also heavier. I just had a quick look at the DxO list; and I think they are now supporting almost all of the DA lenses (I couldn't find the 60-250). By the way, I don't do a lot of work in DxO, relatively few adjustments and usually across the board to a selection of images. I use DxO to convert to dng before going into Lightroom. The image I posted had some quickie DxO adjustments before converting; that's why the colours are different. I was mainly after the effect on edge sharpness.
05-27-2012, 06:18 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
DxO now covers almost all the Pentax lineup and they have started adding Tamron support. I wish they'd add my FA35.
05-27-2012, 06:33 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
DxO now covers almost all the Pentax lineup and they have started adding Tamron support. I wish they'd add my FA35.
DXO - Image Science
05-27-2012, 06:51 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
Yeah, did that again, just recently. Thanks for the link though. I wonder if they're not doing it as the lens seems semi-discontinued. Their Pentax support has really improved and made the application worth the purchase for me. I downloaded the trial and they sent me a discount offer a few weeks back, but it looks like they are offering the app at $99 without going through that at the moment. I'm really looking forward to the support of my Tamron zooms later this summer.
05-27-2012, 06:58 AM   #15
Veteran Member

B&H shows the lens as not in stock, but usually ships in 7-14 days, so I would think they could obtain one without too much trouble. Maybe you could offer to lend them yours?