Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2012, 09:12 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Affordable lens wider than DA 16-45?

So here's my dilemma; I recently purchased the Pentax DA 16-45 because I always found myself wanting more on the wide end of my 18-55 kit lens. I really like the images I get from 16-45, but find that I almost always shoot at 16mm, and when I do want a different focal length or zoom in, 45mm isn't as long as I would like. I would love the DA Ltd 15mm, but it always seems to be a bit out of my price range.

So my question is, is there an affordable lens that is as wide or wider than the 16-45 with similar image quality? My 'budget' is approximately how much I could sell the 16-45 and kit lens for.

I have done some research, and come across the Zenitar 16mm: Would that be wider than the 16-45 because of the fisheye? How well does it work/how wide does it look on a cropped sensor, since it was designed for FF?
I've also seen the Samyang/Rokinon/Bower/etc. 14mm lens - is it worth almost twice the price of the Zenitar? If the IQ is really superior and I could find this for the right price, I think I'd lean more towards this, because it's not a fisheye (or is it? I've seen sample images that could go both ways..).

Are there any others that I'm missing? Should I just keep the 16-45 until I can afford the 15 Ltd or Sigma 10-20?

If it helps, I have a Pentax K-x, am not opposed to manual focus, and these are some of my 16mm shots and probably the application I'd use the new lens for most:

02-10-2012, 09:42 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The first - generation sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 should be near enough to your price range. I had one, it was great for what it is. A lot of distortion wide open at 10mm but very good stopped down a bit at 12mm.
02-10-2012, 10:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tamron 10-24 and this is a pretty standard question. 3 lenses get cited - Tamron, Sigma, and Pentax UW's.
02-10-2012, 10:20 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you both! I had known about the Sigma, but have been avoiding it because of its higher price than the two manual focus lenses I mentioned, but I was unaware of the Tamron. Both of those are a bit higher than I could sell the DA 16-45 for, but if I wait another month or so and finally sell off the lenses I don't actually use I think I could make it work - they seem to be much more versatile than the Samyang 14 and Zenitar 16.

The Sigma 10-20 and Tamron 10-24 seem to be very close in price.. which is superior? I see the Tamron is a bit faster, and has a wider range; does it give up something in IQ, then?

Would either or both of those be on par with the IQ of the DA 16-45 I'd be giving up? I really like how 'contrasty' my pictures with it look - I doubt that's the correct term though..

02-11-2012, 12:35 AM   #5
Veteran Member

A standard question, and here's my standard answer: The Zenitar is great and fast and inexpensive. It's a fisheye on FF, and slightly fishy on APS-C. If you can stand the curvature and/or don't mind de-fishing in software, it's the best deal around. If you really want to explore fishiness, the DA10-17 (the lens that drove me to Pentax) is superb and flexible. But it is indeed fishy at the wide end.

I can't talk about rectilinear ultrawide primes. I *can* say that a year ago I could have bought any of the major ultrawide zooms: DA12-24, Tamron 10-24, or either Sigma 10-20. I selected the Tamron because of 1) focal range; 2) warranty; 3) price; and 4) known Sigma QC issues. Sigma owners love their 10-20s, when they finally get a good copy. I see too many reports of people returning 2-3-4 copies before getting a good one.

I have no problems with the Tamron and it's IQ is fine. I find its focal range most useful, shooting in very tight spaces at the wide end, to 'scapes at the long end. My basic take-everywhere kit now contains the DA10-17, Tamron 10-24, DA18-250, and FA50/1.4.
02-11-2012, 01:17 AM   #6
Pentaxian

If Rio bought one you know it's good value. I'm still weighing my options in the same range but will likely go with the Tamron (the Sigma is ~20% more expensive around here at the moment).
02-11-2012, 05:53 AM   #7

How is it actually possible that a Pentax 12-24mm f4 cost in the Netherlands € 850,- and a Tokina 12-24 f4 costs € 500,- wich means a difference of € 350,- for almost the same lens.
I love Pentax but hate the ridiculous prices for lenses.
Anyone can explain that?
02-11-2012, 06:30 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I have the Sigma 10-20mm f4.0-5.6 (older model). Picked it due to a cheap copy popping up on ebay. It has been great. When looking I discounted the Sigma 10-20mm f3.5 due to 82mm filters, Pentax DA12-24 due to price (was outside my price range) and the Tamron 10-24mm due to poor reviews (that was a couple years ago now though, things may have changed).

I have had no problems with my Sigma, and its probably my most used lens these days

Sigma 10-20mm F4.0-5.6 | Jezza's Photography Stories

02-11-2012, 07:03 AM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jacos1955 Quote
How is it actually possible that a Pentax 12-24mm f4 cost in the Netherlands 850,- and a Tokina 12-24 f4 costs 500,- wich means a difference of 350,- for almost the same lens.
I love Pentax but hate the ridiculous prices for lenses.
Anyone can explain that?
One word, Hoya.
02-11-2012, 08:03 AM   #10
Veteran Member

The Samyang 14mm 2.8 is outsdanding: Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database (check out the links in my review)
02-11-2012, 10:40 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jacos1955 Quote
How is it actually possible that a Pentax 12-24mm f4 cost in the Netherlands € 850,- and a Tokina 12-24 f4 costs € 500,- wich means a difference of € 350,- for almost the same lens.
Because maybe they're not almost the same lens. Perhaps Pentax uses better, more expensive glass. In any case, Pentax almost certainly uses better, more expensive coatings. According to lenstip, the Tokina suffers from a "green hole":

QuoteQuote:
It is quite characteristic for typical greenish multi-coating, so fashionable lately. A significant “hole” in the transmission near the centre of the visible spectrum is, of course, responsible for their greenish hue. The tested lens loses as much as 20% of light there.
The Tokina also does rather poorly with blue light. Indeed, it's worse than the DA 18-55. Poorer light transmission, particularly when it's uneven, compromises the overall IQ of the lens. With the DA 12-24, you'll get richer greens and deeper blues and better overall contrast, thanks to the better (and more expensive) coatings. In a lens that might very well be used for landscapes (and in which use of polarizer filter may be impractical, because of wide FOV), that can be a big deal.
02-11-2012, 12:42 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I'll slightly expand a suggestion I made on a similar thread: We need an ULTRAWIDE STICKY that points to a set of pages, updated as needed, with comparisons of available lenses in these classes: Rectilinear ultrawide primes, ultrawide zooms, and fisheyes. Such concentrated info should answer many many such questions. Much as I like typing the same responses over and over and over and over...
02-11-2012, 10:29 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Also, a Pentax-only lens has a much smaller market than a lens for Canon and Nikon. The fixed costs of setting up production are the same, so it makes sense that the smaller production would cost more per unit.
02-12-2012, 11:06 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I'll slightly expand a suggestion I made on a similar thread: We need an ULTRAWIDE STICKY that points to a set of pages, updated as needed, with comparisons of available lenses in these classes: Rectilinear ultrawide primes, ultrawide zooms, and fisheyes. Such concentrated info should answer many many such questions. Much as I like typing the same responses over and over and over and over...
I thank you for typing the same responses over and over then I had tried searching, but the threads it came up with were very old or didn't apply and I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something (dropping prices, new lens, etc.).

I think I'm going to wait and try to find the Tamron or older Sigma, for their flexibility. The Zenitar is so very tempting because of the price, but I don't think I'd really be happy for long with a fisheye - I'd like one someday, but I'd use it far less than a rectilinear, so I'd rather cover that first. The Samyang does look excellent, but the Tamron/Sigma aren't that much more (especially with the Tamron's $50 rebate right now!) and are much more flexible.

jezza, I really like your shots with the Sigma (especially the Porsche's!). Your post convinced me to keep the sigma on the list.

Thank you! Now, anyone have one for sale?
02-14-2012, 09:42 PM   #15

Original Poster
This is ridiculous.. I had decided to buy the Tamron 10-24mm after the suggestions here/looking at sample photos/seeing the price ($459.00 on Amazon) and the $50 mail in rebate. I've been too busy with homework to actually check out at Amazon (has just been sitting in the cart), and I finally got a free minute and went to do it and the price went up to $499! What the hell??

Does anyone know if the price is going back down?