Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2012, 09:46 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Honestly I can't see why anyone would buy Pentax if they didn't have a serious interest in using vintage glass. I think that's its true niche market. If I hadn't inherited a Super Program with my SMC-A 1.4 on it when I was younger I would never have even heard of Pentax. Since collecting and using quality vintage glass is equally as important to me as the pictures I take with it, I will always be a loyal Pentaxian. To me photography is art.

For the camera is my job, new is best crowd Nikon has Pentax stomped, no argument. Maybe Ricoh will improve that eventually.

02-13-2012, 04:58 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
If a lens gets the job done, who cares how old it is?
Exactly. And sometimes older lenses and designs have qualities that just don't exist in modern glass. I like replicating early photography. I'll shoot B&W with a 47B blue-violet filter, for the same actinic-light sensitivity as early photo emulsions. I'll mount a Petzval-portrait-type projector lens to give that 1876 look. Moving up a few decades, I love presets with primitive coatings, especially post-WW2 German-made glass, because it gives another 'period' look. Lenses of the Kodachrome era have a certain sharpness. Et cetera. I want images to look the way *I* want them to look, not necessarily how teams of engineers and programmers what them to look.

Last edited by RioRico; 02-13-2012 at 05:31 AM.