Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2012, 12:57 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Ricoh Rikenon 135mm 1:2,8 (K-mount) vs. Jupiter 37AM 135/3.5 MC (M42 mount)

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hello everybody,

I'm trying to make up my mind regarding which one of these lenses to choose, the price being almost the same. I've never used a converter ring for a different mount (the M42 in this case), so right now I am a little reluctant and tend to go with the Rikenon, which has a K-mount. On the other hand, I've read a lot of positive reviews for the Jupiter 37AM 135/3.5 MC, so I'd hate to know that I've passed on a very good lens just because I didn't want to bother with an extra ring (which adds a little to the cost, but not that much).

Finally, the question is: which should I go for? (which one would YOU go for?)

Thanks, guys.

Vlad

02-11-2012, 01:45 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Hi (salut!),
I have the Jupiter, so I can tell you a little about my experience with it. Optically it's superb, no color aberration, excellent sharpness. 12 aperture blades, I think, so also excellent bokeh stopped down. On the other hand, I'm considering buying a K-mount tele too, because sometimes it's overhand to change lenses and close the aperture manually. If this is going to be your only M42 lens, I suggest you go with the Rikenon (it's half a stop faster, too). Get a lens hood, too.
Vladimir.

EDIT: if this is the lens you're talking about, it's way overpriced.

Last edited by vladimiroltean; 02-11-2012 at 01:55 PM.
02-11-2012, 02:31 PM   #3

Original Poster
Hey, Vladimir,

you were right, that was exactly the offer I was thinking about - good thing I ran into you, I guess, as I'm gonna drive a much harder bargain now. There are also other options on the market, but out of all of them, these two caught my eye. There are also two more 135mm primes, one OSAWA lens (the same specifications as the Rikenon, not sure about the mount, though) and the other Yoshica, which are considerably cheaper. Still, I could find very little (if any) information about them on the internet. Thank you for your answer, I will choose the Rikenon and try to get a better price for it (what would that be, in your opinion?).
02-11-2012, 02:53 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Most Rikenon primes are decent lenses. The same is true for most 135mm lenses from reputable makers. The Rikenon will likely not disappoint and sells for less than $50 USD in my part of the world. The Jupiter-37 is also a decent lens, but has the penalty of being more clumsy to use.

I, too, would go with the Rikenon unless you want the J-37 for a specific reason.

Steve

02-11-2012, 03:12 PM   #5

Original Poster
Hey, Steve,

the lens in question costs almost 100$... but it's the only Rikenon I can find here in Romania at the moment. Still, I'm not yet feeling ready to start using conversion rings, so no matter what I'll choose, it'll have to be a k-mount lens. Thank you for your answer, my mind's made up now - I just need to find the best offer.

Any other suggestions for k-mount 135mm old primes?
02-11-2012, 03:16 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't know how the k mount Rikenon lenses compare to the screw mount but I was disappointed with the M42 Rikenon 135/2.8. Wide open at F2.8 it was a full stop slower than oth lenses at F2.8 and suffed from internal sensor reflection off the rear element retaining ring which was shiny black not flat black once I fixed the reflections it was ok image wise but still a stop slower
02-11-2012, 04:28 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Vlad, it's hard to get bargains here in Romania sadly, at least with photo equipment. I largely attribute it to our mentality, that even junk can make you money if you find the right fool to sell it to. There is also the nonrealistic class of sellers stuck in the 80s that still think their Zenit is the most pro camera out there and simply won't let you negotiate their ridiculous price down. Eventually we end up buying from other European countries because their prices are almost always better. And there goes our money - outside the borders, spent on things we should have found easily here too. And they wonder why our economy is going the way it is...

02-11-2012, 06:51 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vlazduhu Quote
Any other suggestions for k-mount 135mm old primes?
Vivitar 135/2.8 was made in K-mount, though I suspect that lens might not be particularly common in Eastern Europe either. I wish I could be more help.

Steve
02-12-2012, 11:50 AM   #9

Original Poster
I've just added another lens on the list: the Pentax M 135mm f3.5.
Look, I know I'm gonna be happy no matter what I choose but, for my psychological comfort, I'd like to make the best decision.
02-12-2012, 12:07 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I was going to suggest you that lens too. Try watching this auction.
02-12-2012, 02:22 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've just added another lens on the list: the Pentax M 135mm f3.5.
Look, I know I'm gonna be happy no matter what I choose but, for my psychological comfort, I'd like to make the best decision.
Unless you want the unique qualities of the Russian lens take the M135/3.5
02-13-2012, 12:41 AM   #12

Original Poster
I've just went on e-bay and bought a Pentax M 135mm f2,8. I just have to make the payment and then count the long days until it will reach me all the way from the US. Thanks guys, you've confirmed what I was already suspecting: while they are all different, they are all good (or at least decent) lenses. I'll have to own one first and practice with it until I'll be able to tell any difference.

That being said, you can consider this thread closed.
02-13-2012, 09:18 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I've just went on e-bay and bought a Pentax M 135mm f2,8. I just have to make the payment and then count the long days until it will reach me all the way from the US. Thanks guys, you've confirmed what I was already suspecting: while they are all different, they are all good (or at least decent) lenses. I'll have to own one first and practice with it until I'll be able to tell any difference.

That being said, you can consider this thread closed.
Cool!!! I am sure that you will love the lens!

Steve
02-13-2012, 09:55 PM   #14

I own both the Rikenon (XR, K-mount) and MC Jupiter-37A. The Jupiter is certainly sharper wide open; flare resistance is low with both lenses; Jupiter has higher contrast wide-open. I believe the Rikenon has a 4 lens in 4 groups construction, which is sub-standard for a good f/2.8 lens. It's not a bad lens, but I used 135mm lenses that were better than said Rikenon.

The Jupiter is an old Sonnar replica, and is full of character. Sure, the SMC Pentax-M is going to be sharper, better contast, way better flare protection but... if you're about to shoot portraits (as opposed to snapping pictures of whatever other stuff), you can't really beat an old Sonnar lens and its rendering.
02-14-2012, 01:49 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aoleg Quote
I believe the Rikenon has a 4 lens in 4 groups construction, which is sub-standard for a good f/2.8 lens.
Substandard is such a harsh word. 4 elements in 4 groups is actually pretty standard for 135mm, even for f/2.8. Good examples would be the Pentax-A 135/2.8 or any of the ubiquitous Vivitar 135/2.8. The J-37A has four elements in 3 groups and the Pentax-M 135/3.5 has 5 elements in 5 groups (probably needed to keep the size down). The proof, of course, is in the images.

Steve

Steve