Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2012, 05:16 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
SR Vs OS, which works better?

Supposing Kr body and Sigma 70-200mm OS?

02-12-2012, 10:06 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What I've heard is that at shorter focal lengths there is not much diff. But at longer lengths, such as the lens you are discussing, in lens works better.
02-12-2012, 10:53 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
What I've heard is that at shorter focal lengths there is not much diff. But at longer lengths, such as the lens you are discussing, in lens works better.
I don't have a 500mm OS to compare with but I can regularly hand hold my K300/4 and 1.7x AF TC at 1/100 and have posted shots hand held at 1/40. So the question is, how much better do you need? Actually the issue is nothing to do with the performance of the SR system. OS has 2 distinct advantages. First is a more stable image in the viewfinder, and second is a more stable image presented to the AF system. With IS the image at the AF system jitters, and can lead to less consistent focusing
02-12-2012, 11:06 AM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Reportage Quote
SR vs OS
A relevant thread is:
Image Stabilization Test: Olympus E-520 SLR Body - SLRgear.com!

Some test with an Olympus 520 were done to test in-camera SR versus lens OS. The results were nearly identical :

" the performance of the Olympus E-520's IS system certainly demonstrated that there's no inherent reason why sensor-based IS systems should underperform lens-based ones";
"The bottom line on the Olympus E-520's IS system is that it turned in a superb performance, very much on par with the best lens-based IS systems we've looked at.".

As mentioned earlier, lenses with OS are more expensive than non-OS lenses. In turn a camera with SR gives you more choice of cheaper (and as good) lenses.

Hope that the comment may help.

02-12-2012, 11:23 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I bought the OS version of the 70-200 at Christmas. I decided to purchase the OS version over buying a used copy of the non OS version. My reason was primarily because I have both a K5 and a K10D and I feel that the Shake reduction in the K5 is better than in the K10. I'll be using the Sigma lens on both cameras.
02-12-2012, 02:33 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Lowell makes a good point, in lens stablization has a real benefit when looking through the viewfinder. The image is more stable. I really noticed this once when I put a 150mm lens on where there was no image stabilization of any sort. But, I haven't noticed any difference to speak of at shorter focal lengths. I have the tamron 17-50 for the Pentax and for the Nikon. Neither copy is image stabilized. I can hand hold the Pentax fairly succesfully at 1/15 sec, but not so for the Nikon. I would say 1/40-1/50 sec is about the limit w/o some sort of stabilization or the odds shoot way up that the image will be blurry.

So, it seems to me the 70-200 lens with OS in it is a good idea (using the lens' OS that is).

However....the new Olympus version of SR sounds very promising as it appears to attack the problem from 5 directions rather than the 2 of Pentax. Whoknows, maybe it will equal in lens OS? (Please take note Pentax!)

Steve
02-12-2012, 03:35 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Lowell makes a good point, in lens stablization has a real benefit when looking through the viewfinder. The image is more stable. I really noticed this once when I put a 150mm lens on where there was no image stabilization of any sort. But, I haven't noticed any difference to speak of at shorter focal lengths. I have the tamron 17-50 for the Pentax and for the Nikon. Neither copy is image stabilized. I can hand hold the Pentax fairly succesfully at 1/15 sec, but not so for the Nikon. I would say 1/40-1/50 sec is about the limit w/o some sort of stabilization or the odds shoot way up that the image will be blurry.

So, it seems to me the 70-200 lens with OS in it is a good idea (using the lens' OS that is).

However....the new Olympus version of SR sounds very promising as it appears to attack the problem from 5 directions rather than the 2 of Pentax. Whoknows, maybe it will equal in lens OS? (Please take note Pentax!)

Steve
But you missed the point, technique can solve the image stability issue and at that point I feel both are equal

If I can shoot a 500mm lens at 1/40th with my K7 then who needs any better
02-12-2012, 03:44 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Reportage Quote
One thing I would point out is that SR is not equal in all bodies. Higher end ones are more capable than entry level ones. So in this case, I would prefer the OIS of the lens. Lowell also made a great point re: impact to PDAF performance (not an issue with CDAF).

But in general, OIS has limitations around what kind of movement it can compensate for. For example, the new Olympus 5-axis IS system can compensate for more types of movements than OIS can. So keep in mind that there are few generic rules here.

02-12-2012, 04:32 PM   #9
Col
Veteran Member

No one seems to mention that with OIS you've got a better chance of using AFC & maintaining the focus on the correct target (particularly with the longer lenses). Possibly the best of both worlds with the K-5 would be OIS for framing & focus and that switches off/locks on the shutter press and the sensor that has been stabilized (behind the mirror) is all ready.
02-12-2012, 06:41 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Col Quote
No one seems to mention that with OIS you've got a better chance of using AFC & maintaining the focus on the correct target (particularly with the longer lenses)..
you must have missed my first post, one of two advantages I noted
02-13-2012, 09:38 AM   #11
Site Supporter

@Lowell " With IS the image at the AF system jitters, and can lead to less consistent focusing"

Which one is IS in this case?
02-13-2012, 01:22 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster

The 5 axis anti shake does look promising.
02-13-2012, 01:37 PM   #13
Pentaxian

@Lowell " With IS the image at the AF system jitters, and can lead to less consistent focusing"

Which one is IS in this case?
IS or Image Stabilization is sensor shift. You are trying to stabilize the image by moving the sensor to match the perceived movement of the image based upon various accelerometers in the body. OS is optical stabilization, i.e. in the lens.

With optical stabilization, the image is stabilized before it gets into the camera body, therefore, you get a stable image in the viewfinder, and a stable image presented to the AF sensor. If the image is not moving up and down or side to side to the AF sensor then in theory it should have a better chance of reaching a stable focusing point as opposed to hunting in micro movements around the focus point.
02-14-2012, 10:05 AM   #14
Forum Member

No, "image stabilization" could mean either type of stabilization just like "shake reduction" could.

Since canon has been using the IS designation on their lenses for quite some time, and pentax has been using SR, tamron VC, nikon VR, and sigma OS, should probably stick to using those.

Or more generally, sensor-based or lens-based would be used to describe them.
02-14-2012, 03:14 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Well I also have Sigam 70-200mm/f2.8 EX DG OS HSM and that is my only OS lens. I do like the panning mode 2 of IS in the lens. For me the SR in my K-5 is working better then the lens stabilisation. This is maybe mainly my way of working. Using sometimes my camera/lens on a monopod.

I have the idea that SR is faster then OS or am I wrong?