Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2012, 08:43 AM   #1

Which lens?

Which lens would you recommend for sports photography for the Pentax kx? Thanks!

02-12-2012, 08:48 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That depends on the sport, and how close to the action you can get.
Can you be more specific, to help us answer your question?
02-12-2012, 09:02 AM   #3

Original Poster
Several different ones. Basketball, Football, Soccer, Softball. I will be on the sidelines, not in the audience... if that helps.
02-12-2012, 09:03 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Nmotion Quote
Which lens would you recommend for sports photography for the Pentax kx? Thanks!
kind of depends on whether indoor or outdoor, and also whether you are a 'soccer parent' wanting the exploits of one player
or a team photographer happy to get team action----and how much is after dark and under the lights as well as how close
to the field you can get.

That said the DA*50-135 is a good contender if the lighting is weak, and you are closer than the Goodyear Blimp. It's got a good
range and its fast-- f/2.8. the issue in sports photography is trying to not have the photo so blurred by action that you can't make anything out.
and when the lighting is lame (as in after school sports) the cheaper lenses don't make it.

I got this lens for my daughter who does year book photography where she teaches highschool, and even though its as fast a zoom as Pentax has we supplemented it with a FA 50 1.4 for volleyball season since she had access to the sidelines.---especially since she was also the coach.

02-12-2012, 09:14 AM   #5

Original Poster
Okay, thanks so much. I will be inside and out. I love taking these sports photo's as a hobby. I've had the opportunity to take some for a newspaper using their camera (Nikon D90) and had several people want me to take pictures for them so I need to get a zoom lens for my camera to do so.
02-12-2012, 09:14 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nmotion Quote
Several different ones. Basketball, Football, Soccer, Softball. I will be on the sidelines, not in the audience... if that helps.
I didn't know this when I wrote my message----but I will stand by my suggestion of the 50-135.... It has good range for the sidelines and you
need a fast lens.
02-12-2012, 09:38 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've had to use my FA50/1.4 many times in poorly lit school and rec center gyms, just no real light in there. For settings with better lighting f2.8 lenses are fine. You might want to look at the Tamron 70-200/2.8 for outdoor events or events with more light. Most of the time for outdoor sports for my children my kit DAL 50-300 does a fine job but there are occasions where the aperture is just not up to it and an f2.8 zoom would be a great help.

This lens comparison article here might help:
Fast Sports Zoom Lenses for Pentax - 70-200mm Sigma & Tamron - PentaxForums.com

02-12-2012, 09:40 AM   #8

Original Poster
Great! Thanks again!
02-12-2012, 08:39 PM   #9
Veteran Member

There won't be aby one single lens that is best; there are always tradeoffs. first step is for you to figure out what focal lengths you want, what kind of light you are working with, what size and weight you can handle (will be be using a tripod?), and what your budget is. Depending on your answers to those questions, you might be fine with a DA55-300, or you might need something like a 70-200/2.8, which is three times the size/weight and three times the price.